The South Pacific
"Resource Limit is Reached" - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Waterfront District (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Operations Center (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: "Resource Limit is Reached" (/thread-1938.html)

Pages: 1 2

"Resource Limit is Reached" - Escade - 03-17-2015

Got this message a few times when trying to post, "Resource Limit is Reached."

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - Sam111 - 03-17-2015

I get this message regularly too.

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - Ryccia - 03-17-2015

Me as well.

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - Kris Kringle - 03-17-2015

We are sorry about this, but there is nothing we can do. This is a problem with the host, as we explained here, and these error messages will continue until we move to a better hosting service.

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - Escade - 03-18-2015

I know Kris, I think it's a good idea to report forum issues so that users can see the magnitude of the current problems. Thanks.

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - TAC Saxton - 04-04-2015

After going through some threads on x10 from other people having similar issues, it seems the causes can range from:

1.) a number of simultaneously running php and cgi scripts, as well as cron jobs and shell sessions.

2.) High resources usage can also be due to some coding errors.

One of x10's admins had this to say in a particular thread of the same issue:

The most common cause of something like this when you're not actively working with a dynamic site is that a backup or old site is left online somewhere in a folder on the account... it may not be easily accessible but bots seem to find them and even with our current setup to block IPs and rate limit brute force attempts they are still constantly trying to exploit sites. This can quickly add up in terms of resource usage putting some people at the limit.

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - Escade - 04-04-2015

Does backup mean our old forum backups?

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - TAC Saxton - 04-04-2015

Not sure, though that's the first thing that came to mind for me.

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - Ditortilla - 04-05-2015

"Troubleshooting

There currently isn't a direct way of determining what may have caused a suspension. If this happens to you more than once, you'll have to use trial and error to figure out what components (e.g. plug-ins, scripts) were a factor in the suspension, and which are safe to run.
First, note the maximum period that your site runs without getting suspended (e.g. 1 week).
Disable all components but one,
Then re-enable others (starting with the most important) at twice the suspension period (e.g. fortnightly).
If your site gets suspended, disable the last enabled component.
You can try to reduce the test period by running a load test on your site. Basically, find out your site's peak usage and use some tool to request pages on your site at double the peak frequency. If this doesn't cause an HRU suspension, you can enable more components and repeat the load test.
If you re-enable comonents more frequently, you can't be very sure that the last enabled component is the most problematic and is thus the one to disable. Even with a long period between re-enabling components, your site still might get the occasional HRU suspension. If all else fails, you could try installing different blogging software. Check Softaculous in your site's cPanel for easy installation.
You can also try creating a duplicate installation of the site on your own computer, which will allow you to monitor CPU usage. Run a load tester on another computer in the local network to generate traffic to get a more accurate picture of how the site software will perform under stress. Keep in mind that, due to differences in hardware and software configuration, the exact performance will differ between the X10 install and your local install, but this should be enough to give a rough idea of where problems lie."

source:http://x10hosting.com/wiki/HRU

One would assume that this troubleshooting has been carried out?

RE: "Resource Limit is Reached" - Escade - 04-05-2015

It may also be Market Street? Also I know that the GIF thread got really really slow when there were several gifs in a row in one post (couldn't even open the thread without it being frozen) so from my non-technical pov it may be that anything image, gif, or otherwise resource heavy is an issue?