The South Pacific
A History of TSP - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Government House (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-140.html)
+------ Forum: Ministry of Regional Affairs 1 (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-143.html)
+------ Thread: A History of TSP (/thread-4457.html)

Pages: 1 2

A History of TSP - lamb - 09-15-2016

Being a fairly new member of TSP, I've frequently come to some friends of mine within this region and asked, "Hey, is there a place where I can essentially read through the history of TSP?" The response always seems to convey that the information is widely spread-out. I'm genuinely interested in the history of the region and kind of want to learn about it through more than just brief descriptions of major events. 

I'm wondering if anyone else in the region thinks it'd be useful to have a chronological collection of information that accurately displays the history of the region. I'm sure it'd be a decently hefty project, but I'm sure there are some old heads in here that know where to look and what to snag. I was thinking more along the lines of links to threads or documents or whatever in reference to a description of that event in time.

Thoughts?

Note: Figured I'd post it in the MoRA forum since it seems more appropriate for this type of regional culture project.

RE: A History of TSP - Seraph - 09-15-2016

Olevsky, I love you.

A historical project has frequently been mooted, I believe, but is such an undertaking that no progress has been made. I'd gladly help, but the research for the article I wrote for the Coalition Day Festival was pretty tough going, so I'm not sure how much help I'd be.

RE: A History of TSP - Kris Kringle - 09-15-2016

There is no fully written history, but I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the regional history. I've spent some time researching it, from back in the day.

RE: A History of TSP - lamb - 09-15-2016

I would definitely be interested in taking you up on that offer, but I also think this type of project would be beneficial for the region in the future as well.

At the end of the day, it's kind of a trivial thing that will probably take a lot of work, but I think it'd be worth it regardless.

RE: A History of TSP - Kris Kringle - 09-16-2016

In my opinion, a full history of the region, given its length and complexity, is almost impossible to write, unless the ministry suddenly got a legion of history geeks and skilled writers to handle. That said, something more akin to George W. Bush's Decision Points would be, while very difficult and time consuming, feasible.

RE: A History of TSP - Griffindor - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 01:21 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: In my opinion, a full history of the region, given its length and complexity, is almost impossible to write, unless the ministry suddenly got a legion of history geeks and skilled writers to handle. That said, something more akin to George W. Bush's Decision Points would be, while very difficult and time consuming, feasible.

Exactly my thinking, in his book he reacts to the big stuff like his elections, 9/11 (and its subsequent middle eastern wars), hurricane Katrina and the stock market crash.

If we turned this into a TSP version, it would mainly be about each delegate and what they did, the notable leaders of the various ministries and branches of government (MoRA, MoFA, Assembly, High court, CSS?, PM) the various coups, the charter evolving through the years, maybe even the rise of parties(?), and lastly maybe something about which way we want the region to go as a legacy from when we all leave the South Pacific to the next generation.

RE: A History of TSP - lamb - 09-16-2016

(09-16-2016, 09:36 PM)griffindor13 Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 01:21 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: In my opinion, a full history of the region, given its length and complexity, is almost impossible to write, unless the ministry suddenly got a legion of history geeks and skilled writers to handle. That said, something more akin to George W. Bush's Decision Points would be, while very difficult and time consuming, feasible.

Exactly my thinking, in his book he reacts to the big stuff like his elections, 9/11 (and its subsequent middle eastern wars), hurricane Katrina and the stock market crash.

If we turned this into a TSP version, it would mainly be about each delegate and what they did, the notable leaders of the various ministries and branches of government (MoRA, MoFA, Assembly, High court, CSS?, PM) the various coups, the charter evolving through the years, maybe even the rise of parties(?), and lastly maybe something about which way we want the region to go as a legacy from when we all leave the South Pacific to the next generation.

This is exactly what I think would be rad. Everything you described is relevant and significant enough, in my opinion, to be part of something like this. I didn't mean to come off as if I was suggesting we collect every single detail about everything that has ever happened. 

I think the last bit you mentioned isn't exactly relevant though. The question of who 'we' is and whether or not everyone would actually agree on that sort of statement is unlikely.

RE: A History of TSP - Griffindor - 09-16-2016

That is exactly why I said maybe Wink

RE: A History of TSP - Roavin - 09-17-2016

I'd absolutely be in favor of this. We've gathered quite a bit of research for the Coalition Day Festival that can be reused. Kris is a walking TSP history encyclopedia, and Ryccia was awfully good at finding stuff on old forums and such.

Anybody feel like taking the lead on this?

RE: A History of TSP - Belschaft - 09-17-2016

Kris is the one who's done a lot of the historical research in the past; I was around for most of TSP's recent history, but I'm too lazy to write it up so he always ended up picking my brain.