The South Pacific
Curriculum Vitae Act - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+----- Thread: Curriculum Vitae Act (/thread-4708.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Curriculum Vitae Act - Roavin - 01-01-2017

Beautiful new law which should be self-explanatory.

Curriculum Vitae Act

To ensure voters have transparent insights into potential candidates for office

Article I: Scope

(1) Candidates for any elected or confirmed office in the South Pacific that is elected in part or in full on the regional forums must provide, with their candidacy, a curriculum vitae.
(2) The curriculum vitae of a candidate must be confirmed as accurate and complete by the Council on Regional Security and, unless the candidate is running for that office, the Delegate of the South Pacific.
(3) Omissions on a curriculum vitae may be granted with permission of the Council on Regional Security if and only if publication of the omitted information may risk regional security.

Article II: Contents of Curriculum Vitae

(1) A curriculum vitae must include a timeline of all past and present elected, appointed, or confirmed positions in the South Pacific, in other regions, or in any interregional organizations.
(2) Each past or present position listed in a curriculum vitae must include
a. the name of the position,
b. a brief description of that position's purview,
c. the time frame (as exact as reasonably possible) in which that position was held,
d. under which circumstances holding that position ended (including whether or not a reelection bid failed, if applicable),
e. any significant events that occurred during the tenure.
2. A curriculum vitae must include past or present membership in publicly known associations (such as families).
(3) A curriculum vitae must include past convictions of crimes in the South Pacific, in other regions, or in any interregional organizations.
(4) A curriculum vitae must include any past or extant punishments, sanctions, or persona-non-grata declarations given in the South Pacific, in other regions, or in any interregional organizations.
(5) A curriculum vitae must include prior service to the South Pacific not included in the points above. This includes, but is not limited to, journalism, organizational work in cultural events and activities, or serving as an election commissioner.

Article III: Traceability

(1) A curriculum vitae must, where reasonably possible, include references (such as forum links, citations, or verified statements) for all required content.

I'll whip up an example for myself later.

RE: Curriculum Vitae Act - Tsunamy - 01-01-2017

I think this is brilliant. It's more clearly defined than our previous CoIs and (ideally) will help people run on merit and ability rather than pure popularity.

Full support.

RE: Curriculum Vitae Act - Belschaft - 01-01-2017

I think the level of detail required in this is excessive; few people will be willing or able to actually provide the information. A shorter and simpler conflicts of interests requirement in the Elections Act would be a better idea.

(01-01-2017, 07:53 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I think the level of detail required in this is excessive; few people will be willing or able to actually provide the information. A shorter and simpler conflicts of interests requirement in the Elections Act would be a better idea.

I think the idea is to go beyond solely conflicts of interest so voters can better judge a candidate's suitability for the role.

(01-01-2017, 07:55 PM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(01-01-2017, 07:53 PM)Belschaft Wrote: I think the level of detail required in this is excessive; few people will be willing or able to actually provide the information. A shorter and simpler conflicts of interests requirement in the Elections Act would be a better idea.

I think the idea is to go beyond solely conflicts of interest so voters can better judge a candidate's suitability for the role.

That may be the idea, but the level of information required is excessive - especially with people being required to provide it to run for office.

RE: Curriculum Vitae Act - Seraph - 01-01-2017

I'm torn between Bel and Tsu on this. I like the idea of encouraging candidates to speak in greater, evidential detail about their past, but am concerned about legislating such a level of detail and exactitude. I, for one, got something of a panic just reading it, and I'm not even running for anything at the moment.

I think the idea would be that once put together it would be something you just updated.

One other thought I have here would be references ... i.e. statements of support. So, having someone say, "Hey, this is a good guy. He'd be good."

Maybe we could use something like that instead of the citations to make this less cumbersome?

Honestly, I think this is far too high a burden for what should be a fundamental right - standing for election. This might be best practice, but I don't think we can legislate to require it. Maybe if some people start doing it others will follow to remain competitive.

RE: Curriculum Vitae Act - Tim - 01-01-2017

While I'm generally supportive for this bill, and think it's a very important thing to have so we can ensure we are aware of everybody's various other regional and non-regional affiliations across Nationstates, I've got a few concerns. My two concerns is simply the fact that some of us who have been around for far too long get a bit forgetful about all of our various positions we've had which would be an issue about disclosure, and the fact that there's a fair bit of us in the R/D Intelligence/Undercover game who wouldn't exactly feel at liberty disclosing all the places we've been either in public or to the CRS. While I don't mind being poked about forgetting to mention a regional affiliation I'd simply forgotten at some point, there's no way in hell I'd be telling the public or the CRS some of the various stuff I've done as, well, not as myself.

(it's not because it's against TSP, it's just because they have no need to know and some of it could be ongoing >.>)

(01-01-2017, 08:32 PM)Tim Wrote: While I'm generally supportive for this bill, and think it's a very important thing to have so we can ensure we are aware of everybody's various other regional and non-regional affiliations across Nationstates, I've got a few concerns. My two concerns is simply the fact that some of us who have been around for far too long get a bit forgetful about all of our various positions we've had which would be an issue about disclosure, and the fact that there's a fair bit of us in the R/D Intelligence/Undercover game who wouldn't exactly feel at liberty disclosing all the places we've been either in public or to the CRS. While I don't mind being poked about forgetting to mention a regional affiliation I'd simply forgotten at some point, there's no way in hell I'd be telling the public or the CRS some of the various stuff I've done as, well, not as myself.

(it's not because it's against TSP, it's just because they have no need to know and some of it could be ongoing >.>)

When you've played forever, things are likely to get lost. It happens and I don't think we've ever had an issue about someone forgetting a region they've been in or a role they had. (Heck, I don't think I can name all the roles I've played in TSP.)

However, if we follow the logic that there are some things you (general, not personal) wouldn't disclose and thereby shouldn't have to, how can we ever trust someone running for a position? Are voters not entitled to know who the person they are voting for is?

At the very least voters should be allowed to know the general idea of what you've done, even if it's in vague generalities.