The South Pacific
Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Celebration Pavilion (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-97.html)
+----- Forum: Anniver-Tsu-ry 2017 (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-316.html)
+----- Thread: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. (/thread-4856.html)

Pages: 1 2

Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Seraph - 02-10-2017

So, whilst we're celebrating all things Tsu, it seems only appropriate that we grill him like a burger and find out what we can whilst he's amendable, so... here's the chance. Tsu will be checking this thread and you really can ask him anything. He'll probably answer.

I'll start:

How does it feel having an entire festival themed around you, or at least your NS avatar? Is it getting weird, yet?

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Tsunamy - 02-10-2017

(02-10-2017, 07:21 PM)Seraph Wrote: So, whilst we're celebrating all things Tsu, it seems only appropriate that we grill him like a burger and find out what we can whilst he's amendable, so... here's the chance.  Tsu will be checking this thread and you really can ask him anything.  He'll probably answer.

I'll start:

How does it feel having an entire festival themed around you, or at least your NS avatar?  Is it getting weird, yet?

It is weird! I mean, I know that I demanded a festival for my one-year ... but I demand a lot of thing (IRL and here) and don't always get them. So now, I'm a bit unsure what to do with it.

I also keep coming back to 1,001 Fudgtopian Nights and wonder if Fudgie felt the same way.

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Seraph - 02-10-2017

When Fudgie was reigning supreme over TSPland, did you ever imagine you might one day be celebrating a similar (if somewhat more brief) achievement?

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Tsunamy - 02-10-2017

(02-10-2017, 07:35 PM)Seraph Wrote: When Fudgie was reigning supreme over TSPland, did you ever imagine you might one day be celebrating a similar (if somewhat more brief) achievement?

I didn't! I mean, I probably sound like a broken record by this point, but I never planned to run for delegate in the first place, let alone serving for two terms and now for an entire year.

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Belschaft - 02-10-2017

When you guys were first founding the Coalition, I doubt you had any idea it would still be here nearly fifteen years later.

What was the original vision for TSP?
How has it compared to that original vision?
If you could go back with a time machine, what would you change?

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Sygian - 02-10-2017

What would you like to see TSP accomplishing in the near or distant future?

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Tsunamy - 02-11-2017

(02-10-2017, 08:16 PM)Belschaft Wrote: When you guys were first founding the Coalition, I doubt you had any idea it would still be here nearly fifteen years later.

What was the original vision for TSP?
How has it compared to that original vision?
If you could go back with a time machine, what would you change?

These are such hard questions! I saw Bel's post last night and waited to reply ... and I still don't have a a great answer.

Just to be clear, the Coalition was around a bit more before me, so I don't really want to take credit for the original vision. Since many of the players who encompassed the Cabinet left there was a bit of a rupture and I think those of us back then — Geo, LR and people many of you likely never heard of like Slackervania and Bistmath — did the best we could to put things back together. 

You're totally right that if you told me in 2003 we'd still be here in 2017 ... I would've thought you were nuts. I mean, I think we hoped to create something that persisted (isn't that always our goal in life?), but I think this has been more successful than I ever imagined.

For me personally, I think the way I got into the game had a defining impact for how I played it (and still do, to a great extent). Remember, at the get go before NS introduced influence, the delegate was everything. So, if you got one bad delegate, it was nearly impossible to wrest the seat. And, so, my desire had always been to create a place where those in power enable and protect a democratic process. This lead to not-really democratic situations like the "Brave Little Toaster Declarations," which were nearly impossible to topple a sitting delegate — purposefully so. Yet, I think the view was to be as democratic as we could safely be.

Compared to the "original vision" per se, I think it's been really successful. I mean, I think we wanted a space that was responsive to players wants/needs and I think everyone has put lasting imprints on the region. I know we still have really heated discussions (and still get accused of being an oligarchy), but I think we're still one of the most inclusive and democratic regions in the game.

Regarding what I would change — it's hard. I mean, on a personal level, reading some of the things I wrote in high school I'm like, "God you were a whiny bitch!" So, there are certainly aspects there that I'd love to go back and rewrite history to keep my calm.

On a wider level, if I could, I think I would have stayed around as forum admin instead of going AWOL. Not that I regret it, per se, I mean life happens. But, I think that when I stepped away — and was essentially unreachable during the whole Invisionfree/Zetaboard situation — set into motion a lot of foundational things that we're still dealing with as a region. This isn't just the technological/economic side, but I think it changed the fundamental way we see admins in the region.

That's not to cast blame on any of the admins, but the original forums were made out of need and developed into our platform. Me becoming root admin was always an anomaly. When Hile, SB et al. (I'm assuming you were involved in the decision too, Bel? I honestly didn't really investigate the history) needed to make the call to move and then the call to move to Invision proper administration got wrapped up in politics in a way that I think could've been avoided.

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Tsunamy - 02-11-2017

(02-10-2017, 11:48 PM)Sygian Wrote: What would you like to see TSP accomplishing in the near or distant future?

Wow.  I ... don't know. I honestly don't. I'll say broadly that I'd like the region to still be here in 2031 Wink 

I'll think to think in more specifics and get back to you.

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Escade - 02-11-2017

1. Who is your favorite player who isn't around anymore? Like the person you think, "I would love to see {Player} come back to just even like catch up with and hang out?
2. What is a fun thing you do when you're not NSing? Like a game? A hobby?
3. What is your favorite song of all time? The song that speaks to your soul?
4. Do you think that if we undertook a History project you would have time to help create a timeline of sorts that traced TSP history? Not an essay but a timeline with short little parts discussing how things started and came to be?

RE: Tsunamy - the AMA thread. - Tsunamy - 02-14-2017

(02-11-2017, 12:46 PM)Escade Wrote: 1. Who is your favorite player who isn't around anymore? Like the person you think, "I would love to see {Player} come back to just even like catch up with and hang out?
2. What is a fun thing you do when you're not NSing? Like a game? A hobby?
3. What is your favorite song of all time? The song that speaks to your soul?
4. Do you think that if we undertook a History project you would have time to help create a timeline of sorts that traced TSP history? Not an essay but a timeline with short little parts discussing how things started and came to be?

So I totally missed this — but wanted to get in the answers! 

1. There's a couple — but Pen is always my girl (even though she was back today)! And a always love when Geo drops in.

2. My hobbies are primarily trash talking, drinking and shopping. Of course, I spent a lot of time working and even most of my social events are consumed by my job ... so right now NS is one of my few escapes. 

3. I have a couple. "Kiss the Rain" by Billie Myers is my go-to favorite song. I have several other songs that are also amazing for different reasons — "Don't Look Back in Anger" by Oasis, "Babylon" by David Gray, "City of Blinding Lights" by U2, "Everlong" by The Foo Fighters, "About You Now" by the Sugababes.

4. I'm always happy to help on projects. We have to see how the next weeks/months go because I have some big changes on the horizon, but tentatively, sure Wink