The South Pacific
3rd APC Party Summit Charter Discussion- 2017 - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Downtown South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-57.html)
+----- Forum: Civic and Political Organization Center (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-23.html)
+------ Forum: Alliance for Preservation of the Coalition (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-286.html)
+------ Thread: 3rd APC Party Summit Charter Discussion- 2017 (/thread-5491.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

3rd APC Party Summit Charter Discussion- 2017 - Griffindor - 09-12-2017

Welcome all to the 3rd APC Party Summit!

After the troublesome special election last month, and the general outdated state of our Party Platform, the APCRC has voted unanimously to open up a 3rd Party Summit! In this summit, we are reviewing the platform and charter of the APC, and allowing the party to draft an updated platform and propose amendments to the charter (or heck, even a new charter, if it comes to it).

All members of the forum may participate (which is highly encouraged) but ONLY party members may vote.

If no party member objects the following rules will govern this Summit:
Quote:1. Griffindor13 shall act a Chair of the Summit
2. All members are expected to remain civil at all times in the Summit
3. All non-members may speak during the Summit however if they do not maintain civility they will be asked to refrain from speaking during the remainder of the Summit
5. For the purposes of this Summit the voting threshold to pass amendments will be 2/3rds (as is required by the charter) and a simple majority for any platform changes.
6. The summit will end no later than October 15th, unless a motion to extend the summit is agreed to.

Here is a link to the current platform.

Here is a link to the current charter.

I hereby open the 3rd Annual APC Party Summit! Let the debate begin!

Note: All votes that passed will take effect when the summit is declared over, until the summit ends, all current laws will still apply.

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - rolandarmstrong - 09-12-2017

For one, I think the ACPRC formula should be tweaked. I'll write full reasoning for this sometime soon, hopefully. I'm not able to do it right now, but I'll get to it soon. #iwishtherewasnoreallifeonlyns

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - Pronoun - 09-12-2017

Both the platform and charter are quite informal in tone, which is something I think should be revised. While incomprehensible legalese is not necessary, I think a more formal can make things more clear and concise.

Second, the charter of the APC should be titled as such, since the current name ignores the fact that the charter dictates not just how the APC is organized, but also how it functions; the document describes more than just the structure of the party.

The charter also needs a preamble to serve as a declaration of purpose for the document. At the very least the charter needs to have a clause somewhere stating that the fundamental purpose of the APC is to advance the platform.

The platform needs to have a clearer legislative agenda. I personally think I don't have enough Assembly experience to create this, but I do think I am capable of working to create improved iterations of other members' proposals, if they wish.

By the way, can we keep a forum-friendly version of the charter? The PDF can be hard to edit.

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - Griffindor - 09-12-2017

(09-12-2017, 07:39 PM)rolandarmstrong Wrote: For one, I think the ACPRC formula should be tweaked. I'll write full reasoning for this sometime soon, hopefully. I'm not able to do it right now, but I'll get to it soon. #iwishtherewasnoreallifeonlyns

I fully agree! We tweaked the formula in the last summit because the other formula made the APCRC too small for the number of members we had at the time. Now that we are bigger, it could use a revisit. I look forward to your reasoning!

(09-12-2017, 10:18 PM)Pronoun Wrote: Both the platform and charter are quite informal in tone, which is something I think should be revised. While incomprehensible legalese is not necessary, I think a more formal can make things more clear and concise.

Second, the charter of the APC should be titled as such, since the current name ignores the fact that the charter dictates not just how the APC is organized, but also how it functions; the document describes more than just the structure of the party.

The charter also needs a preamble to serve as a declaration of purpose for the document. At the very least the charter needs to have a clause somewhere stating that the fundamental purpose of the APC is to advance the platform.

The platform needs to have a clearer legislative agenda. I personally think I don't have enough Assembly experience to create this, but I do think I am capable of working to create improved iterations of other members' proposals, if they wish.

By the way, can we keep a forum-friendly version of the charter? The PDF can be hard to edit.

1. I agree fully, and was actually thinking about it.
2. That was what we named it at the beginning, it is indeed time to update it Tounge
3. I love the idea of a preamble! 
4. I agree, the platform was made when the party had less than a third of the current members, and as such we need to update that as well.
5. Definitely, I agree 110%!

For me personally, I think that we should throw out the current Charter and Platform completely and start from scratch (there is such a thing called amending something to death). I will begin working on a draft for a new charter (with perhaps some help??) and I will present it in a few days. 

On a side note, list some ideas and/or rules that you would like to see listed in the draft xD

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - Pronoun - 09-13-2017

(09-12-2017, 11:07 PM)Griffindor13 Wrote: [...]

For me personally, I think that we should throw out the current Charter and Platform completely and start from scratch (there is such a thing called amending something to death). I will begin working on a draft for a new charter (with perhaps some help??) and I will present it in a few days. 

On a side note, list some ideas and/or rules that you would like to see listed in the draft xD

I'm all for a complete rewrite, but I do want to preserve the general gist of the current document.

I primarily want to see a greater emphasis on the fact that we are the largest party in the region. Our charter and platform must reflect this. Unlike when the charter was originally adopted, when the idea of political parties was new and fledgling, the party of today must adapt to this role. This includes a clear legislative agenda, a lack of which was cited by Seraph in his founding of the SPP. But this also includes the greater responsibility that comes with this voting power. A question of unity also arises from this increased membership. With any party, I find it unreasonable to expect members to agree with the entire platform (for any substantial platform, anyway). But as the party gets larger, unity becomes ever more important. Perhaps these ideas belong more in the platform; but, as I've said, the platform and charter should be interrelated.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest that we have a more substantial application process. We should, at the very least, ask if there is anything on the platform that the applicant disagrees with. The application need not convey an unwelcoming message, nor serve as a scare to new members, but a basic ideological sampling should be required.

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - rolandarmstrong - 09-13-2017

OK, I am working with my incredible mathematical reasoning on what it should be. . .

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - Drall - 09-13-2017

(09-12-2017, 11:07 PM)Griffindor13 Wrote:
(09-12-2017, 07:39 PM)rolandarmstrong Wrote: For one, I think the ACPRC formula should be tweaked. I'll write full reasoning for this sometime soon, hopefully. I'm not able to do it right now, but I'll get to it soon. #iwishtherewasnoreallifeonlyns

I fully agree! We tweaked the formula in the last summit because the other formula made the APCRC too small for the number of members we had at the time. Now that we are bigger, it could use a revisit. I look forward to your reasoning!

(09-12-2017, 10:18 PM)Pronoun Wrote: Both the platform and charter are quite informal in tone, which is something I think should be revised. While incomprehensible legalese is not necessary, I think a more formal can make things more clear and concise.

1. I agree fully, and was actually thinking about it.
2. That was what we named it at the beginning, it is indeed time to update it Tounge
3. I love the idea of a preamble! 
4. I agree, the platform was made when the party had less than a third of the current members, and as such we need to update that as well.
5. Definitely, I agree 110%!

All for a new charter in its entirety. Times change, and so must we. I'd like to see some clearly defined election periods, clearly set out goals, and the ability of the APCRC to deny and remove members of the party with a suitably high vote (this is something that was discussed and considered an oversight recently, but since fell by the wayside).

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - rolandarmstrong - 09-13-2017

Mr. Vice Chair,

I submit this formula for your viewing pleasure:
Quote:Number of party members / 2.5 = number of general members
Not only does this eliminate the unnecessary -1 of the formula, it allows for more people to join the APCRC, something I've already tried to do. I'd love to join the council, and make TSP better, and make this a more active party, and adding more members to the group of people that get the big say so would help. I'm a bit frustrated with the APC, to be honest. I joined it, thinking it would be an active political orginisastion, but I've been disappointed. We really don't do that much in the Alliance. I'd love to see young players like me, with lots of energy joining the Council to run the party and make it more active. I'd also like to head the Regional Relations committee, and make it more active, because foreign affairs have always been something I loved. Anyways, my  two cents...

--Roland ^_^ ^_^

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - Pronoun - 09-13-2017

So, I've managed to find the time to begin drafting a new charter. Here it is, incomplete and lacking, but the product of all my available free time.

I put this out unfinished since it contains fragments of my major ideas, somewhat converted into legalese. The language highly reflects that this is a draft, but the ideas, I hope, will make it further than the language.

RE: 3rd APC Party Summit - 2017 - Griffindor - 09-14-2017

All right! I have finished it! My proposed draft for the APC charter!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tVqhJ-udm4CGJucWSoYSGqhxwIkG2Vv4AHJmejo7xMs/edit?usp=sharing

Sorry that I didn't post directly, the formatting was horrendous. Tounge 

You can leave your comments on the doc, or you can post on this forum!