The South Pacific
[PASSED] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Elections Act (Election Commission) - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Hall of Historical Records (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-141.html)
+---- Forum: Fudgetopia Hall of Government (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-12.html)
+----- Forum: Assembly of the South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-91.html)
+----- Thread: [PASSED] Amendment to Articles 1 and 2 of the Elections Act (Election Commission) (/thread-5500.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Ausstan - 02-05-2018

Thanks for the explanation Kris Kringle. 

I still reckon at most two people need to be able to see the results. In fact, I reckon two is the perfect number for it.

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Seraph - 02-05-2018

Why don't we have a permanent EC - someone like Tsu who we all trust - and the permanent justice as an observer, with language that makes it clear that the PJ *must* verify the results for them to be valid or something.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Ausstan - 02-05-2018

(02-05-2018, 03:52 AM)Seraph Wrote: Why don't we have a permanent EC - someone like Tsu who we all trust - and the permanent justice as an observer, with language that makes it clear that the PJ *must* verify the results for them to be valid or something.

Yeah, this works too. This way there are two people who see the results, reducing corruption, but meaning that there are still people in relatively useless positions.

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Rebeltopia - 02-05-2018

We used to have a small pool of EC's, and usually only one doing any of the work. LadyRebels was usually the on handling everything. Since she left, we've had a revolving door of EC's.

Other than Hile's issues, had we had any other issues? Is the EC that's running elections always asking for help? Things may not always start when we want them to, but RL does come first, and 36 hours isn't that great of an issue...

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Farengeto - 02-05-2018

(02-05-2018, 03:52 AM)Seraph Wrote: Why don't we have a permanent EC - someone like Tsu who we all trust - and the permanent justice as an observer, with language that makes it clear that the PJ *must* verify the results for them to be valid or something.

Main issue would be a contingency for when the PJ runs. I've personally jumped from Justice to another position at least three times, so there is precedent. Tounge

I'd oppose anything that stops the PJ from running though, so not that.

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Drall - 02-05-2018

(02-05-2018, 07:18 PM)Farengeto Wrote:

Main issue would be a contingency for when the PJ runs. I've personally jumped from Justice to another position at least three times, so there is precedent. Tounge

I'd oppose anything that stops the PJ from running though, so not that.

It would be a fairly simple contingency to have the the next Justice in the pool brought in to observe should the PJ run, so that really isn't a problem.

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Seraph - 02-06-2018

That was what I was thinking when I made the suggestion.

Sent from my KOB-L09 using Tapatalk

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Farengeto - 04-14-2018

Seeing as the issue is still unresolved, bumping the discussion yet again.

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Farengeto - 04-14-2018

To consolidate some of the past discussion, here is a proposal:

• A single election commissioner, appointed by the CRS (with admin veto?), responsible for running the election. Make this a mostly permanent role if possible, but that hasn't worked well in practice.
  • A second individual, the Chief Justice or one of the Associate Justices, who is responsible for verifying the result. Unless there's a dispute of law or some issue with private votes, in practice this will probably just be a nod of acknowledgement in most elections.
  • Maintain current executive firewall for obvious reasons, while patching the current CoA loophole.

RE: [DISCUSSION] Election Commision - Lakania - 04-15-2018

If the issue is that the role itself doesn't have as much to do, then there's two options:

(1) Assign the responsibilities to somebody else (maybe the justices) and abolish the EC. Edit: Maybe a better option than abolishing would be to have the EC a temporary commission/organization that is staffed by the justices as needed.

(2) Expand the responsibilities of the EC in a way that would merit somebody occupying the role on a constant basis. 

Pursuant to point (2) how an Election Commission usually works is that it oversees ALL elections. Not really sure how political parties work within TSP, but the EC could also oversee elections in political parties.

Also, EC's are usually in charge of dealing with and interpreting the laws and regulations around elections. Therefore, it would make sense if the EC had 1 Legislator and 1 Justice as part of the commission.

Either way, if the EC position itself will remain, maybe it should be a termed position. I'm not 100% sure how it works now, but from what I've gathered it's essentially a pool of people that are the go-to per election. Instead, have it so that whoever is appointed or assigned as EC *must* remain in that position for a minimum term of 6 or 12 months.