The South Pacific
[IC] Harm-Gord Council - Printable Version

+- The South Pacific (https://tspforums.xyz)
+-- Forum: Treasure Island (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Pacifica (https://tspforums.xyz/forum-109.html)
+--- Thread: [IC] Harm-Gord Council (/thread-6516.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: [IC] Harm-Gord Council - Hammerstar - 10-17-2018

"Ah by "each nation", you mean Harmakmis and Gordistan. I see why we could be of fault. About the provincial governments, wouldn't that mean that each province have their own rule of law and charter? Would that not mean the possibility that one province have a chancellery, another have a governor, and another have a marquess? What system do you have then, that would bind all these provinces into one unified entity?" Asked The Peony

RE: [IC] Harm-Gord Council - Dillguy9 - 10-17-2018

Ren Katra, the older brother of Jem, finally stands up and speaks,

"Yes, we do mean Harmakmis and Gordista. Each province would have a government that the people want, but they won't be fully autonomous, as the federal government will regulate them. We can't have an individual province or party have too much freedom/power, as it would cause sectionalism, but not too much federal input, as that would lead to totalitarianism. We need the right balance of regional and federal power, so everyone is happy together. That balance has been a problem in the past with Harmakmis and Gordista, but with your help, we might make it work. In a nutshell, we need the right federalist government."

RE: [IC] Harm-Gord Council - Pax Dracon - 10-17-2018

Grand Minister Octavian stood up, his age seemingly not hobbling him.  "Due to my nation's history of proportional representation on it's Senate, I would be willing to offer any assistance in the codifying of the new legislature.  The boundaries and populations of the old provinces and city-states have stood as a means of determining the number of representatives for centuries.  I fail to see why a... what was it you called it?  Federal?  Yes, federal system cannot work here."

"Which begs the question as to why only 65% of the country approves of such plans, can the dignitaries of Harm-Gord explain why the majority dissaproves of this foundation?" Asked The Peony

Ms. Yenkins stands up, more confident this time,

"I forgot to mention that our figures were an average of all surveys. The military and economic plans got the worst responses, while the government and council got the best responses, around 80 to 90%. We knew going forward that a set economic plan would be tough, and since so much trouble was connected to military, a decision couldn't be reached."

She sits down, Gillo Rans takes her place.

"May I ask, in the behath of my colleagues, why wouldn't a federation work? We would have districts/provinces of equal population in Harmakmis that send representatives to the federal legislature, making the provinces equal. In Gordista, the two main provinces would be determined by how many people want that system of government, but the ratios are the same for the first house of the legislature, making them equal. The federal system should balance the power between local and federal government, and in this case, local-district-federal-overseeing council. We are very much open to suggestions and critiques, so enlighten me."

A small, mono-prop plane has departed from its stop at Government Island, as it was coming from plot 219. The dirty, little plane touched down at the Harmakmis City International Airport, after taking a little while with its right to land there. The plane skids to halt, nearly damaging the planes and jets of the dignitaries at the meeting. A dirty-blonde man in his early thirties steps out, clad aviator leather and goggles, sprinkled with wheat. A woman with dark brown hair, also sporting aviator wear, emerges from the back hatch. They grab their bags and they head over to the grand Federal Hotel, next to the capitol building. After some more hassle with paperwork, they make a grand entrance into the grand hall.

"Helllllo therrrrrrrrre! My name is Chuck-Ray Chickenpicker Moses III of the Social Democratic Republic of Agot. I am sooooo sorry that we are late. The plane was slow and we got held up a few times. Man, those people at Government Island are stuck ups. Well I am going to sit down."

C.R.C Moses makes his way to a seat, near the RIM, and offers some buckwheat to the poor delegate.

The woman introduces herself,

"My name is Marie Cindy-Lynn Molly-Lu Barleyeater Hatheway, the vice chancellor of Agot. Chuck is the chancellor. Let me make my way to a seat."

She sits down next to Chuck, as Gillo Rans states,

"I did not think your country was real. We did get your notification in time, so your presence here is undisputed. Sorry that you are late, but now let's continue."

A murmur rippled through the room, as the delegates were discussing about their new colleagues.

"Ms. Yenkins, you could not average these things. If the people wishes further changes on the military and economical frameworks, may we ask what it would be about? It is the only thing stopping you in having a concrete plan, is it not?" The Peony said.

"The idea that Grand Minister Octavian states is that since these provinces and states do not have a proportional population, the win in the vote is not necessarily "the people's choice" but rather "the amount of states that agree to it" regardless if the most of the population disagree. Indeed, these are the downfalls of the federal system, and yet there are many contradictions in every system, therefore the law is not absolute. As such, the evolution of your system shall occur as time goes by." Said The Peony, wondering whether she started to spin her words a bit.

Ren responds,

"That clears it up and makes sense. So now we need to figure out how to adapt the plan for people's choice, without too many hoops."

"For military, we had three main plans. One is to get rid of all military and let the council decide when to rebuild. Next was to let the federal governments separately decide on this issue, and the last was to get rid of the military entirely. The vote was split pretty much evenly, nothing getting the required 50%. We know that the military will always be controversial, so we may need more party imput on this. The economic strategies were very lacking. It was either to have the council decide or to separately figure it out. Most people said 'it doesn't matter,' but the next highest was the council. Honestly, our economic problems are all over the place. Gordista has a thriving military industry, but nothing much else besides logging and fishing. Harmakmis is very well rounded, but the war took its toll. We could implement public works projects and work on changing Gordista's economy. Thank you for your input."

The man sits, while the slightly irritated Lilu stands up,

"Listen, we averaged those polls just to show you, average, people were in favor of our reforms. It was just to simplify things."

She sits down, a little irritated.

RE: [IC] Harm-Gord Council - Hammerstar - 10-18-2018

The Peony opens her fan, and gravitates it towards her. Closing a portion of her face.

"With regards to the military, we do not see it as wise that you would all be dissolving it entirely. At such unstable political weather and the need to secure such a monumental unificatory process, perhaps the military can still exist for defensive matters?" She mentioned, "liquidation of all the assets would definitely hurt Gordistan establishments, and with the need for further security, perhaps it could profit from there? Needless to say, we of The Peocracy believe it would be dangerous if your country decides to liquidate the entire thing totally."

She then looks at the other way, assuming attention to the other half of the chamber

"As for the economy, the main problem is not towards the plan, but the fact that there is no planning at all. You must be aware that a total reconstruction effort and unification would have severe economic repercussions, an inflation is the last thing we want happening in these processes. It is quite costly as well, and where are you going to get the assets to fund the reconstruction?" She asked, "in order to accelerate growth, we propose that you create a national task force to help create more economical activity and balance the books. Perhaps one of the things that we suggest is laxer tariffs, both export and import to attract investment."

The Peony looks at the entire floor.

"We believe talks can be resumed tomorrow, it is clear that the dignitaries of the respective nations need to cool their minds and present their opinions on your proposals. Our recommendations have been stated, and we hope that a proposed framework can be given to be presented in the Harm-Gord council." The Peony said, and gravitated her hand to her chest, "our goal is to help you grow back up, but we refuse to partake a larger role than that of an overseer. As such my attendance in the next day is sadly not to be expected, our High Diplomat shall instead take my place in the talks instead of me. We are truly sorry for the inconvenience."

"The unification of Harm-Gord shall be a challenging one," she gazed at everyone with a focused and serious stare, "with ruined assets and such a diverse spectrum. A fact that we have yet to see is that a presence of a leader, one that is able to unite the aspirations of all the parties and meet the demands of its people."

She looks at the Harm-Gord delegation, "A leader is needed to control and oversee the entire operation, and we hope that Harm-Gord could choose one, a needed one, for the future if not for tomorrow. By all means it is no simple task but it could be made simpler if full disclosure of the proposed system, numbers and the wants of the people be done in this chamber. We hope that the decisions of this chamber is correct, and to be done for the sake of the people of Harm-Gord," said The Peony as she gazes a bit on Ms.Yenkins, thinking her fault and irritation to be a petty one, "Stating matters simple would end up in an average result, and if the delegation of Harm-Gord wishes to make average everything, then they would end up an average country, something that all of us do not aspire them to be."

The Peony then gazes to the foreign delegations, quite austerely.

"My message for the rest of the delegation is simple, please help our friends, in concern with the Reizen affair could be discussed in a separate chamber at another time. Or if you all wish to butt heads, the room next door is vacant, or take this at the coffee break." She closes her fan and hits it on her hand, ringing a strong clap all over the chamber, "by all means, respect the Harm-Gord delegation and do not bring this situation and impede these talks with your separate affairs."

RE: [IC] Harm-Gord Council - Dillguy9 - 10-18-2018

Tel steps up,

"Thanks you so much. We do agree that we need to have an economic plan, but we wanted to the government plans thought out first, but then our deadline for the council came in and we didn't want to delay it."

"I would like to thank everyone for a great first and I hope that this can continue tommorow, but maybe a little stressful. There are electric cars waiting for you out front to take you wherever. Have a great night and I hope to meet again at 7:00AM. Well see you then."

The delegates begin to slowly file out of the grand hall and to their cars to head back to their respective residences, ready for another day.