We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Philosophers Corner.

That reminds me of the reputed conversation between Einstein and Niels Bohr. Einstein said something like-
"Are you honestly telling me that you believe if no one is looking at the moon it ceases to exist?"
To which the reply was "Prove to me it doesn't."

Also I would trace religion back to Shamanic practice which has more to do with Psychology and Tribal Mental Health. The taking of people beyond the social boundaries and bringing them back safely via ritual dance, drugs, etc. rather than the positing of a supreme being as per traditional Monotheism.
I would also say that regardless of one person's standards for accepting something as 'fact', someone else is going to have an opposing method. Neither are right yet both feel justified. We accept that which solidifies our own perceptual bias, and reject or contend with that which does not. To expand this to broad social groups does not diminish the inherently subjective foundation, but rather simplifies it. Both sides are playing by the same rules, it's just that they have different ideas on how to win.
GG Sigillite
Stuff in Other Places

Messages In This Thread