We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[OOC SIGN-IN] TSP 1116 (alt. history fantasy RP)

The year is 1116 and the world sits, unknowing, on a knife-edge.  For nearly a century, magic, once the preserve of court magicians and untamed sorcerers, has been strictly controlled by the Order of Magi.  The Order has maintained their neutrality from all the powers and principalities of the world so that neither rulers nor mad men might twist magic to their will and thus subject Pacifica to a sorcerous reign of terror. Throughout their existence they have taught all the neophytes of the Order that magic is a tool to be used for the good of all people, and thus they have offered their services to all the powers of the world, asking only a small fee from those who could afford it, and other services or goods from those who could not.

Apart from their duties, they keep themselves separate from the world, living in a castle on Archon Island, at the very centre of the known world, but the life of an acolyte of the Order has never been easy and following the charitable intentions of their founder, Archmagus Bela I, has meant that they have usually been only a little better off than impoverished.  The poverty and isolation has led to some discontent within the Order over the years and minor acolyte rebellions have had to be quashed more than once.  This has led, in turn, to a growing sense of entitlement and resentment amongst a portion of the order and to the founding of a secret suborder, those who call themselves the Potestates, the rightful powers.

For the last three decades, the Potestates have plotted and schemed from the shadows of the Order, using the politics of intrigue and assassination as much as their more arcane talents.  With the election of Phytonius, leader of the Potestates, to the position of Archmagus of the Order, their plans are finally coming to fruition and the future of every nation in Pacifica is at stake.

As far as the nations are concerned, however, all is as it always has been. There is war and peace, politics and intrigue, heroes still quest for glory and villains still plot for power. That the very basis by which so many of these things now operate is ready crumble beneath them could not be farther from the minds of the rich and powerful, whilst the poor and subjected have other things to worry about in their meagre lives.

This is both a character and a nation RP. Principally, you will play the leader or leaders of your nation, although you are certainly not restricted from playing more minor characters to help flesh out your story.

As this is an alt. history RP, well be using the TSP map and you may choose to be your current nation, just 900 years earlier. This may fit with your existing history or perhaps the magical nature of the world means things are very different for you. It's your choice.

To begin with, at least, magic will be limited to neutral actions, serving everyone equally. Misuse of the Order (who will remain NPCs) whilst they are still ostensibly serving the region will be considered godmodding. What constitutes misuse in any given situation will be determined by your peers.

Non-human races are allowed, but should be limited to ethnic minorities unless you can make a good argument for them being your nation's primary race. Any social powers and abilities for such races need to be agreed by other players.

There are dragons, ‘cos dragons are always cool, but they are not common and no nation can lay any claim to them at the start of the RP.

The intent is that this will be a story-driven RP for which I will serve as DM as well as RPing my own nation. My plans are very loose, however, and will be flexible to the natural developments of your interactions. If you have any ideas on things you think would be cool to happen, please PM me here or catch me on Discord.

Please sign in below with the following basic information:

Nation

Name:
Type of nation/form of government:
Location on TSP map (if not your existing nation):
Brief description of nation’s current situation and culture:

Main character

Name:
Description:
Brief Bio:

Messages In This Thread
[OOC SIGN-IN] TSP 1116 (alt. history fantasy RP) - by Seraph - 09-22-2016, 05:20 AM