We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

An Emperor's Council

One standard day after the Glassing of Ignis

The flames danced in front of them for several minutes, looping over and over again as they watched the Stoinian colony die.  To say that the air was filled with palpable emotion would have been the understatement of the millennium.

Prime Minister Almarien of Yapath rested his head into his palms, fighting every urge to weep as he watched millions of innocent beings be reduced to cosmic ash and molten rubble.  Secretary-General Malhotra of Terra Nova merely shut her eyes in silent prayer, and Atai Scirrak, alongside High Speaker Vincente-Aguilar and several of the Praetors could only watch in silent horror.  Grand Inquisitor Adams stared at the recording, one part in disgust, one part fascination.  Arkous Sadow, Lord of Admirals Tessarian, Warmaster Ostorius, Warchief Rakox and even old Cassian himself looked like they were barely keeping their anger in check.  The Warmaster in particular had dragged her talons deep enough into the table before her that deep grooves had been carved into wood and metal alike.

Through it all, the young Emperor was silent, terribly silent.  His eyes shut as if trying to process the sheer devastation before him.

"Destroying a Garden-class planet..."

"Thirty million just... wiped out in an instant..."

"So many beautiful songs extinguished... never to be heard again," Thrrut lamented as they held the carapace about their head.

"They cannot be allowed to get awa-!"

"Shut.  It.  Off."  The Emperor said at last, his tone far too cold and even for comfort.

"Y-your Majesty?"  Cassian turned to look at his liege, shaken from his anger in genuine shock at the tone the younger Drakari had used.

"I said shut.  It.  Off."  Julianus opened his molten gold eyes, his rage plain for all to see even as the hologram flowed back into the projector.  "This is not our war, I know, but I will not stand idly by while these Venterrans declare themselves of life."

"Julianus, what are you saying?"  Indira looked at the Emperor with a worried look.

"I intend to give whatever aid we can before involving the Legions.  Warmaster, do you still have your contacts among the Junaian Warrior-Priestesses?"

"Aye, that I do.  Quite a few Chapters, at that.  Why do you ask, my Lord?"

"I believe we have a means of maintaining plausible deniability for a time, even as we put a price on the head of this... 'Fleet Commander Recklez'.  Should the Stoinians request it, though, all options remain on the table."

The Grand Inquisitor rubbed at his neatly trimmed beard for a few moments before nodding in agreement.  "Hmm... that could work.  Between the Bounty Hunters' Guild and the Junaians gunning for Recklez's head, as well as an uptick in sector-wide retaliatory military build-up, the Venterrans may be forced to choose between protecting one of their own and the security of their war effort."

The Warmaster grinned maniacally, rising to her feet within an instant.  "I'll make the call at once."

"Go.  You and Tessarian begin preparations.  Cassian, High Speaker, inform the Senatorial and Palace press corps that there will be an emergency statement on the matter.  This... act of barbarity cannot go unpunished."
[-] The following 3 users Like Pax Dracon's post:
  • Imperial Frost Federation, Jeeve, Maverick

Messages In This Thread
An Emperor's Council - by Pax Dracon - 08-01-2021, 02:11 PM
RE: An Emperor's Council - by Pax Dracon - 08-22-2021, 01:13 PM
RE: An Emperor's Council - by Pax Dracon - 01-12-2022, 01:22 AM