We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Legal Question - Retroactive Crimes

The answer in short form is that the TSP Code of Laws was never meant to be tested - clearly evident by not actually having procedures for trials since the charter was adopted - and is therefore so full of holes that it makes a sieve look solid.

As far as I can see, there is no precedent, or statute of limitations, or law relating to retrospective charges. It seems inherently unfair to be charged with a crime that wasn't a crime when you did it. However, given there is no conflict in law (due to no law) to reconcile I'd be inclined to decline to answer the question and refer the matter to the Assembly as per the Charter:

Quote:5. The Court Justices shall have the authority to examine laws and make recommendations to the Assembly, however they may not issue an arbitrary judgement or opinion on laws without a specific legal question being filed.

But accompany it with the recommendation that a Statute of Limitations be introduced including retrospective crimes.

EDIT: I see Unibot has already beaten us on that one. I'm really feeling the love as a Justice about now.

Messages In This Thread
Legal Question - Retroactive Crimes - by Awe - 03-09-2015, 08:59 AM