We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

21 August 2015 Edition / Great Council Preview, Judicial Elections

(08-22-2015, 10:55 AM)Ryccia Wrote: But how can I get experience in being a Justice? By trying it. So far, the only way you get experience as a Justice is just one, simple but also complex procedure: being elected.

You could show your reasoning and writing skills elsewhere. You could be an active commentator on legal debates. Being thrust into a position isn't the best way to learn the skills needed to be effective at it. Why should that be an acceptable way of electing people for anything? There's at best a 50/50 chance you'll royally fuck it up or do extremely well. I don't like those chances, which is why I voted to re-open nominations both times in hopes that someone with more qualifications would end up running.

And let's face it, you're really young in a region with an average age somewhere in the 20s. If you were born in 2001 as your signature suggests, then I've got a decade on you. That's not nothing. The age gap can be hard to overcome, when you're running for a position most people think requires a lot of experience and maturity.

As for Punchwood, he's seen by a lot of older players as a rules violator lacking in maturity himself. He was banned for posting info about Kris, and then argued about how it wasn't a big deal. There's a reason why I didn't want him as a deputy when he applied when I was MoFA. He ran as a last resort candidate -- "who else are you going to vote for?" -- and that, in my opinion, doesn't scream confidence in the judiciary. Maybe he'll prove himself a decent Justice. But, again, I don't like the odds.

Messages In This Thread