We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Change of the Local Council

That provision is under the Amendment section of this passed law: http://tspforums.xyz/thread-4715.html

I strongly oppose any ability of the Local Council to originate any amendments that aren't limited to its own constitutional structure. Frankly, I don't think the region can survive very many battles between the forum community an upstart populist ramming through constitutional amendments via the LC, which is a body that doesn't give laws anywhere near the amount of scrutiny the Assembly (aka, people interested in government) does. And yet those populists would claim that the Assembly is wrong to not pass amendments that "the people" have passed on the game-side, using that kind rhetoric to deepen cleavages that will lead to the next coup.

The Local Council isn't a second chamber in a bicameral legislature. We've already set the framework of the division of powers between the in-game and the forum-side. The idea is that we aren't crossing those lines.

If somebody is interested enough to want to amend non-LC parts of the Charter, then they can & should become a legislator and draft in the Assembly. Otherwise, I see this as a tool that will only be used for politicking in the worst of ways.

Messages In This Thread
Change of the Local Council - by Tsunamy - 01-31-2017, 10:31 AM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by sandaoguo - 01-31-2017, 02:59 PM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by Tsunamy - 01-31-2017, 07:43 PM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by Roavin - 02-01-2017, 06:19 AM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by Tsunamy - 02-01-2017, 10:11 AM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by Roavin - 02-01-2017, 10:42 AM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by Tsunamy - 02-01-2017, 05:09 PM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by sandaoguo - 02-01-2017, 06:28 PM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by Tsunamy - 02-01-2017, 08:52 PM
RE: Change of the Local Council - by Belschaft - 02-01-2017, 06:34 PM