We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Issue XXIII

Just for the record, when asked that question as part of the interview process, I did not express support for a reform that enlarged the size of the Court. In fact, I made it clear that I strongly believed the focus should be on developing legal talent and strengthening the administrative process of the Court, rather than revamping its structure every few months.

That is not to say that I would engage in a partisan debate over the ideal structure of the Court -I would tend to avoid such a breach of neutrality-, but I do believe that we need to be honest about the fact that any problems the Court might have had are in no small parts due to the fact that we haven't institutionalised it as a strong and investment-worthy branch of our government, as far as our regional culture is concerned, and strictly structural reform won't change that.

That is, in part, why I want to focus so much on writing detailed rulings, keeping close communication with the Pool of Justices, organising lectures, hiring law clerks, and overall working towards the development of legal talent in the region. We can change the structure of the Court, but unless we work in talent and internal administration, it will be the same people making the same mistakes, and that only leads us to another reform a year from now.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Messages In This Thread
Issue XXIII - by Punchwood - 08-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Issue XXIII - by Kris Kringle - 08-12-2017, 06:32 PM