We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

An Idea of a new map.

I will probably repeat some arguments put forward by some people, but if this can come to support the other, I'll gladly repeat.

1) The fact that this proposal to change the entire map of our collective worldbuilding stands on a single line of argument to me is already a lot to be completely against changing the map. Changing the map is a huge deal, and if it stands on a single argument then of course the proposal is not the most serious to me. It has to be grounded into many arguments, with some strong demonstrations that this proposal is better than the actual map. And for the moment, the only argument being that a game (which some people may or may not have in this community) doesn't allow some texture importation is very thin and it's almost like a joke. (The argument is a joke, not the person.)

2) Let's say there were many arguments that justify that everyone loses their already made material of maps (city maps, electoral maps, administrative divisions maps, transportation maps, etc.) which took countless hours (I'm not even talking about my own crazy idea to do an entire Google Streetmap map of my tiniest nation which is sinking my time when I get to work on it) and that the arguments are worth the change for a map. This is not a realistic map. I don't understand how plate tectonics would create a world with such many islands scattered in undefined patterns and of these sizes in a completely random manner, combined with elevations in places I dont understand which don't make sense from a scientific standpoint. If there is a theory grounded in science that justifies this map being the way it is, I'm all ears, even for hypothetical purposes.

3) This proposal sound really "sudden" to me. Have I missed a discussion where people have asked for a new map or something like that? Because to me, if no one is complaining, why change? It seems to me that there has not been a discussion put forward on the matter. Which should be the basis of any major change before an actual proposal like this one. I have the feeling that all the hours I have put forward worldbuilding, map creating, etc. are worthless to the eyes of such a proposal because they can be so easily erased "just because". A proposal such as this one does not seem to value the work put forward by many people in this community and is borderline insulting. At least, that is how I feel with such a proposal.

4) I am all for people who have ideas that bring the community forward and contributes to the collective worldbuilding. Proposals that respect the hours invested by all in this collective project that is Pacifica. People take great time to develop this shared world and I for sure prefer ideas that improve and add to the actual worldbuilding that has been started for a long time now, than ideas which want to erase everything and start something new. However, there are proper channels for people who want to undertake new projects, like the extra-canon for instance.
[-] The following 3 users Like Klô's post:
  • GI-Land, Illaois, Qwert

Messages In This Thread
RE: An Idea of a new map. - by im_a_waffle1 - 02-02-2021, 12:24 PM
RE: An Idea of a new map. - by im_a_waffle1 - 02-02-2021, 12:28 PM
RE: An Idea of a new map. - by GI-Land - 02-02-2021, 01:55 PM
RE: An Idea of a new map. - by Proctethia - 02-03-2021, 05:50 PM
RE: An Idea of a new map. - by Klô - 02-04-2021, 04:16 PM