We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

SPN Interviews

[Image: Jcjod5_oXKgS6_zDsZowiVcswfjrNpu3AoTiiPTu...3bXrlRdQ8L]

In this episode of South Pacific News, we will be interviewing the recently elected Local Councilor Erinor (Seraph). Erinor has only recently joined Nationstates, but has already become a popular and influential figure within The South Pacific.

What made you decide to join Nationstates, and, presuming you were founded here, what made you stay in TSP?
I was told about NS by a friend who'd just started playing (Land Without Shrimp) and I was intrigued. I started out in TSP and quickly found that I liked the atmosphere here, but it took me a couple of weeks to pick up the courage and stay getting more involved, first on the RMB and then on the forums.
Overall I'd say it's the fine people and open, friendly atmosphere that keeps me here.

Since you got involved so quickly, what advice would you give other new nations wishing to get involved?
I'd say that they shouldn't feel intimidated by people who've been here a long time, but just leap in and try things. TSP's welcome can be a bit mixed in its warmth and effectiveness (I want to be part of changing that), but if people see someone sticking their neck out a bit to get involved, then you'll be accepted very quickly. Of course it never hurts to be polite, friendly and accepting yourself. Smile

Now, onto the LC election. Characteristic of your enthusiasm to get involved, was your acceptance of your nomination for the LC. What motivated you to go for a position in TSP’s government?
I certainly hadn't intended to.  Having joined the forums at the end of the Great Council - a forum-based meeting of minds that lasted for months and completely rewrote the region's charter - and then watching as the elections began, I thought that I wouldn't ever want to go for one of those positions (and I still don't), but would be happy to just involve myself how I could, where I could, when I could.  And then I got a simple proofreading request from Roavin which spiraled into researching an article for the Coalition Day festival and eventually into being invited, by Roavin to be part of his Advisory Council in the Ministry of Regional Affairs (which deals with journalism, events and getting people involved across the region).
Suddenly I was more involved than I ever thought I'd be, but I was still not planning to run for LC. It was only when I, rather unexpectedly, received a nomination, meaning that someone out there thought that I'd be good, that I began to think about it seriously.  Could I do this?  If I did, what would I hope to achieve?  Could I even write a convincing campaign?  I'd never really tried any of this before, after all, but I spoke to a few of my new TSP friends and sounded out a few ideas and was happy to give it a go.

Well, you convinced the region enough for them to elect you, and now you have the responsibility of representing the wider region on the forums. There have, in recent months, been strained relationships between gameside and forumside TSP, culminating in Hileville’s coup. Obviously, the government is attempting to bridge this gap- what role do you see yourself playing in this?
I see my role as twofold: to make sure the voice of the Gameside is hard on the forums and to make the forums relatable to gameside-only players who want to relate to it. There will always be a certain amount of division because this game can be played so many ways, but we're stronger as a community when we recognise that, but make every opportunity for people to try new things. I want TSP to be as strong and as integrated a community as we can make it!

It may be a bit early to ask this, with what has been a pretty hectic few days in TSP, but how are things getting on between you and our other two new LCs, Belschaft and Punchwood?
We haven't had a lot of time to talk, yet, but we have agreed on a few first steps and that, ultimately, how we represent the region will be up to the region itself to decide.  We aren't going to see eye-to-eye on everything, of course, but then that means we have opportunities for debate and development and I hope that we can see past any differences to do what is best for those we're representing.

Now, the recent Great Council was intended to create long term-stability for TSP, and, while you’ve ruled out some of the top jobs, I’d be interested to know where you see TSP in several years’ time, and where you see yourself within the community.
For all that my involvement seems to increase exponentially, I'm probably too new to give any kind of long-term forecast.  I can say what I'd like to see and that's a region which is consistently good at welcoming new players, at breaking down the barriers to on-site and off-site involvement, where the learning curve is less steep and the output in terms of creativity, fun and inter-regional influence is prolific.
As for where I see myself?  I hope that I'm still right in the middle of it all, with more experience to pass on and a great many more things still to write.

And now for the most important question: cake or pie?
My position on this has been clear from the beginning, though I know it is controversial, still, I will not be one to stand down and let the opportunity for dessert pass me by.  I will not be silenced lest it is by a mouthful of sugary deliciousness.  I will not go quietly into the night until I have bowlfuls of pudding with ice cream and custard!  Cake AND Pie, I say!  Cake AND Pie!

Finally, is there anything else you'd like to say to the nations of TSP?
Be nice to one another. Try new things. Get involved. Have fun! We'll do our best to make all of that as easy as possible.
Did some LC, MoRA, CRS stuff in the past. Do a lot of World Census stuff now.

Messages In This Thread
SPN Interviews - by Pencil Sharpeners - 06-30-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: SPN Interviews - by Pencil Sharpeners - 07-08-2016, 06:41 AM
RE: SPN Interviews - by Roavin - 07-08-2016, 06:54 AM
RE: SPN Interviews - by Punchwood - 07-08-2016, 08:27 AM
RE: SPN Interviews - by Roavin - 07-08-2016, 09:25 AM
RE: SPN Interviews - by Sam111 - 07-08-2016, 09:54 AM
SPN Interviews - by Omega - 07-08-2016, 11:08 AM
RE: SPN Interviews - by Awe - 07-08-2016, 11:36 AM
SPN Interviews - by Omega - 07-08-2016, 01:20 PM
RE: SPN Interviews - by Zak6858 - 07-09-2016, 06:59 PM
SPN Interviews - by Omega - 07-09-2016, 07:25 PM