We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

#Roa4PM - mā pango, mā whero ka oti te mahi

(02-04-2019, 10:49 PM)The Serres Republic Wrote: You weren’t kidding when you said your campaign was good. This is gorgeous. Those Antiyoy references got me good.
(02-05-2019, 12:18 AM)North Prarie Wrote: This is an awesome campaign. Just want to say that. Heckin fabulous.
(02-05-2019, 01:28 AM)Beepee Wrote: Hi roav, loving the campaign....

Thank you! Smile

(02-04-2019, 10:49 PM)The Serres Republic Wrote: You have a lot you want to do here and I am excited to see you start tackling it. My biggest concern is overreaching in your campaign. The PM is the leader of the cabinet and you obviously have a firm grasp of that concept, however, I want to know how you specifically intend to lead the other Ministers. Where will you be most involved (which Ministries) and how do you plan to involve yourself in them? Additionally your weak point being RA, how do you plan to overcome that? Will you spend time focusing on expanding your ability to support and lead our future MoRA during your term? Or will you instead focus on your strengths?

Looking back at my previous terms, my strongest involvement as PM was in the FA ministry, so much so that Glen once called me "almost a second MoFA". It's my intention of stepping away from that somewhat - while I don't think I can help myself getting involved in the interregional strategy talks that I love so much, the raison d'être for this campaign and my candidacy is more internal stuff and inherently involves giving RA more attention than I had in previous terms. It wouldn't make much sense to try to force myself into the kind of work that simply isn't what I'm particularly good at, so my focus on getting and keeping community projects (particularly interministerial ones) organized and running, without trying to delve into cultural events and such, is a more effective use of my particular set of strengths and weaknesses than to try to have me play the role of a kind of culture guy that I'm simply not.

I don't plan to micromanage the ministries. I expect the ministers to run autonomously, though I do have several interministerial things I want to do (as listed in the campaign post) and I expect to be working with the ministers to make those happen in a way that satisfies both me, them, and our citizenry.

(02-05-2019, 12:18 AM)North Prarie Wrote: My only question: Do you plan to have the Cabinet try to push any big legislation through the assembly?

Not really. There have been times (including in my previous terms) where the Cabinet proposed legislation (sometimes in the mantle of an EO) but that'd be for extraordinary circumstances.

(02-05-2019, 01:28 AM)Beepee Wrote: If i remember correctly, you were PM at the beginning of the time that must not be mentioned, last year ( the TimScade era - oops I mentioned it ).

What did you learn about yourself in the position of PM during that time and, if elected, how will you use that experience this time round (and also let's hope it never happens again)?

There are several smaller things, but the poignant one is one that I kinda touched upon in the campaign. I had this habit of resolving intra-Cabinet issues by poking people via DM and trying to steer things into resolution. My thought was that each minister will always have both strengths and weaknesses, be it Yuno, Spenty, Tim, Escade, Seraph, Somy, etc., and by poking them specifically about certain things, resolution could be found easily and organically. That worked for the most part, but broke down when an issue surpassed a certain scope. It was my failing to not address that accordingly. I should have brought things up formally within the confines of the Cabinet and discussed it there. This was Tim's primary criticism of my work as Prime Minister and, honestly, he was right.

The Tim/Escade/Roavin trifecta in Cabinet could be, and often was, brutally effective, but also volatile; over time, external IC and OOC triggers combined with my flawed method of resolution led to the eccentricities of each of our personalities being amplified in ways that were, to put it mildly, not conducive to a good environment. I don't think this will happen again for a number of reasons. First, the personalities are different - Tim and Escade are not running (and can't until June, actually), and while my personality is still there it's only 1/3 of the bad Tounge. Second, a more open approach to resolution, aided by forcing things to move to forum rather than Discord as well as the change to the PM mandate last September, would have likely not made this happen at all. Third, that change we passed last September means that the Prime Minister has the hard power to bring unilateral ministerial actions to the Cabinet for a discussion and vote, so the situation where I might see no other way out than to outright propose to recall all of us couldn't occur.

I could probably write pages on this topic if I had to.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 3 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Beepee, Poppy, The Serres Republic

Messages In This Thread
RE: #Roa4PM - mā pango, mā whero ka oti te mahi - by Roavin - 02-05-2019, 03:00 AM