We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Legal Question (interpret the meaning and application of a law) [1904] Separation of Powers

Your Honor,

outside of whatever is already prescribed by law, the Cabinet does not have formal definitions for different categories of junior Cabinet participants. This has been the case since at least the Cabinet term that was inaugurated in June 2016. To my knowledge, previous Cabinets in the region's history have not had such definitions either. In terms of customary definitions, I can only speak with authority about Cabinets since about mid-2016.

Deputies are generally assumed to be bound to one of the ministries. They have not been utilized since the Great Council (with a brief exception in late 2016), so I can only provide limited perspective. To my knowledge, deputies were frequently in use in pre-GC2016 Cabinets, with some Ministers even having multiple deputies. The senior Ministers themselves set the scope of any appointee's role, ranging from advising for a specific department within the Ministry to a near-full stewardship of the Minister role during absences of the nominal holder. This was before my nation's founding, however, so the Court may be better served by requesting or compelling testimony from other individuals to glean details from that time.

Interns are intended to be individuals that have shown promise and a willingness to put in some work, and where there is a reasonable expectation that they could be a good Cabinet Minister at some point. There is not much precedent here; last term, Amerion was appointed as an Intern (for the entire Cabinet), but considering his experience across NS and his lack of desire to be a senior Cabinet member, he served more as a general advisor than as an intern. This term, we want to appoint one intern per ministry as per the ideals I mentioned above, with each intern being bound to their ministry. In the past, I believe deputyships were sometimes used for this, for example I was appointed Deputy MoRA by Punchwood in mid-2016 in a role that is ostensibly compatible with what I consider an intern to now be.

Advisors have significantly more recent precedent. In June 2017, I appointed Tsunamy as Senior Cabinet advisor. His role was not to be an active participant in the day-to-day Cabinet operations, but rather to serve as a final sanity check for what we (an extremely young Cabinet) were doing. He served in this capacity, more or less, until October 2018. In October 2018, the Cabinet appointed Sandaoguo as Senior advisor in a much more active role, nominally advising the Cabinet on security matters and, in practice, advising many times on Foreign Affairs matters as well. At the same time, Amerion could be considered a general advisor along a similar vein, even though the appointment was nominally as an intern.

Junior Cabinet participants, in general, have the same level of rights and powers within their role, in that they can participate in discussions that are in the plain Cabinet office (rather than in more classified areas). In practice, there may be differences in how much value is placed in what an individual Junior Cabinet participant writes, and some of these differences may be inherent with the title.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Bzerneleg

Messages In This Thread
[1904] Separation of Powers - by Amerion - 02-17-2019, 09:26 AM
Determination of Justiciability - by Kris Kringle - 02-20-2019, 08:34 AM
RE: [LEGAL QUESTION] Separation of Powers & Cabinet Deputies and Advisors - by Roavin - 03-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Opinion of the Court - by Kris Kringle - 03-16-2019, 01:00 PM
RE: [1904] Separation of Powers - by Amerion - 03-17-2019, 12:09 AM