We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Aurora Alliance, TNP-TSP Treaty Amendment.

Honoured Chairman and Members of the Assembly,

The North and South Pacific's have concluded our negotiations on an updated treaty between our two regions. The final draft, signed by the Delegate of the North Pacific, r3naissanc3r as well as both Tsunamy and myself on behalf of the South Pacific is now awaiting your vote.

I would like to introduce this as an Amendment to the existing treaty, which shall replace its current content. I believe that a 60% threshold is required for this amendment to pass.

Without further ado:

Quote:
The Aurora Alliance

WE, the Region of The North Pacific and the Coalition of the South Pacific, hereafter jointly referred to as “the signatories”,

ACKNOWLEDGING our longstanding and historical friendship, based on close collaboration and commitment to shared ideals and visions of our governments;

WISHING to reaffirm this partnership in a modern age with a document providing a solid foundation for continued communication, cooperation and steadfast loyalty to each other;

THEREFORE, agree to recognise and adhere to the Treaty and all of the commitments set forth therein:

Section I - Mutual recognition
1. The signatories recognize one another as the sole, legitimate, and sovereign governments of their respective NationStates regions.
2. The signatories shall maintain in-game embassies (i.e., on the NationStates site) and off-site embassies (i.e., on their respective regional forums) with one another.

Section II - Mutual Defence
1. The signatories agree not to engage in any military hostilities against one another. Participation by the signatories on opposite sides of a military engagement that does not constitute an attack on either signatory's home region shall not be considered "military hostilities against one another" for this purpose.
2. The signatories will not attempt to overthrow one another.
3. The signatories shall provide one another military assistance in case of a military attack, either internal or external, targeting the other signatory's home region, to the best of their ability, and at the request of the other signatory.
4. The signatories shall provide one another military assistance for delegacy transitions, at the request of the other signatory.

Section III - Intelligence Sharing
1. The signatories shall provide to their counterpart's Delegate any intelligence related to the other signatory's in-game or off-site security, unless the signatory in possession of such intelligence reasonably believes that doing so would violate applicable laws, or violate the terms of service for NationStates or said signatory's forum provider, or unduly compromise said signatory's sources of information. If this intelligence relates to actions of the other signatory's Delegate, then it will be provided to the Security Council for The North Pacific, or to the Committee for State Security for The South Pacific.
2. The signatories will keep confidential all intelligence provided to them under this Section, unless the other signatory consents to the release.
3. The signatories will not in any way, direct or indirect, initiate or participate in espionage, subterfuge, or other clandestine operations against one another. For this purpose, a "clandestine operation" is one or more persons acting under false pretenses in one signatory's home region or regional forum, without that signatory's knowledge, and at the direction of the other signatory.

Section IV - Cultural Endeavors
1. The signatories shall endeavor to cooperate on cultural activities, to the benefit of the people of both signatories, and to promote their shared ideals and visions.

Section V - General Provisions and Dissolution
1. This treaty shall come into effect upon its ratification by the duly authorized individuals or bodies of both the signatories.
2. Upon ratification, this treaty shall be the sole treaty between the signatories, superseding any prior written documents describing a relationship between the signatories.
3. Either signatory shall endeavor to give a week's notice in the aforementioned embassies before withdrawing from this treaty
4. The signatories shall endeavor all reasonable efforts to seek a diplomatic solution before withdrawing.

Signed,

~r3naissanc3r
Delegate of The North Pacific

[Image: tSOFgNl.png]
Delegate, The South Pacific

[Image: nvDLaJV.png]
Minister of Foreign Affairs for the Coalition of the South Pacific

This is fairly straightforward and similar in language to our modern treaties with Lazarus and The Rejected Realms. I have no significant objections.

I will have to consult with Unibot, but I believe we would be able to hold a joint vote on repealing the old treaty and ratifying this new one. The threshold is 60% for both actions, so it shouldn't be impossible to hold a single vote to do both at the same time.

Full support! The new treaty is a vast improvement over the old one.

Just to clarify, there is no "amendment" function for treaties - so currently we'll have to have a vote that repeals the old treaty and replaces it with the new one. We can do so altogether as one vote with a 60% margin needed for support (since the margins are the same). Virtually, this acts in practice like an amendment.

Considering we have a long held treaty with TNP, this is only flushing out some of the details.

I think it's a great refresher for our relations and I look forward to continued work with TNP.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Since the proposal itself provides for the repeal of the previous one, I think one vote would suffice.

Other than the title, which I cannot bring myself to like or even tolerate, this proposal seems fairly reasonable and well drafted.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I like this, and I'm looking forward to passing it.

I have no objections!
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

I'm disappointed there's nothing for me to complain about Smile
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I object to the fact that TNP is listed first and not TSP. Why did TSP's duly elected representatives not fight for a better placement?

(01-01-2015, 05:18 PM)Sandaoguo Wrote: I object to the fact that TNP is listed first and not TSP. Why did TSP's duly elected representatives not fight for a better placement?

Ya know -- I thought about that. But I figured alphabetical order would work.

When we have an alliance with the TWP, we can be first Tounge
-tsunamy
[forum admin]