We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Lampshade Accords [The South Pacific-Spiritus]

Members of the Assembly,

It gives me great pleasure to present to you today, the final draft of a treaty binding the South Pacific and Spiritus as friends and allies.

This is a treaty that is one that has been talked about by members of government for a while, we have some shared members, and their President, The Salaxalans has been a valued member of our community for sometime.

It is our hope that the re-ratification clause mandated in this treaty will keep our relationship constant and open, allowing us to keep it in front of our minds as we move forward through the year.

Following passage in the Assembly, we shall be arranging an official ceremony on the forums to see this treaty officially signed.

Without further ado:

The Lampshade Accords

Wherein the Coalition of the South Pacific and the Elemental Republic of Spiritus formally cement their ties as friends and allies.

Article 1 - Recognition of Government

1. The Coalition of the South Pacific (hereafter known as The South Pacific) and the Elemental Republic of Spiritus (hereafter known as Spiritus) hereby declare recognition for the legitimate governments of the other signatory and acknowledges their sovereignty and our shared ideals in the interests of democracy, cultural advancement and community cooperation. In addition we recognise the sovereignty of each member in their respective diplomatic, cultural, military and legislative matters.

1.1 To that extent, The South Pacific and Spiritus hereby declare this document to be a symbol of the friendship between both Governments and their respective communities.

1.2 The South Pacific recognises Spiritan President The Salaxalans as the lawful Head of State of Spiritus and resolves to recognise their successors as mandated by the people of Spiritus in line with this document.

1.3 Spiritus recognises the South Pacifican Delegate Tsunamy as the lawfully elected Head of State for the South Pacific and the Community elected leader of the region and resolves to recognise their legally elected successors in line with this document.

1.4 Both signatories extend a permanent Embassy to the other in their respective Embassy district and the creation of an Envoy to serve as diplomatic representative to the other party in order to further civil communication between communities.

1.5 Both signatories agree to not extend recognition to the other party in the event that a government comes to power contrary to the accepted legal procedures and laws of the signatory as defined by the Charter of the South Pacific and the Constitution of Spiritus respectively.

Article 2 - Military, Security and Counter-Intelligence

2. The signatories pledge to support the sovereignty of both The South Pacific and Spiritus wherever possible in line with this Treaty and our shared ideals.

2.1 Both signatories commit to never involving themselves, either directly or by supporting an effort to invade or infringe on the sovereignty of the home region of each signatory.

2.2 Both The South Pacific and Spiritus agree to share important intelligence with the other party should it pertain to threats domestic or external against their community or region.

2.3 Both The South Pacific and Spiritus commit to not partaking in espionage against each signatory, or infringing the sovereignty of the other signatory in any manner unless specifically requested by the primary authority of the other signatory.

2.4 Both signatories commit to deploying their respective militaries (or any successor military) in defence of each-other when necessary for the duration of this agreement.

2.5 Both signatories commit to partaking in shared operations and war-games in Warzones to better deepen the bond between the signatories. During war-games The South Pacific would raid the Warzone and Spiritus would work to liberate it. Other possibilities also include a shared and united defence of these regions against other military forces.

2.6 Each military shall arrange for a Liaison to the other as a means of communication and facilitating shared experiences.

2.7 Both signatories agree in the interests of competition and wider gameplay that being on opposing sides in operations shall not fracture or damage this agreement unless it involves the invasion of either homeland of the other or a treatied ally.

Article 3 - Cultural and Community Cooperation

3. The South Pacific and Spiritus hereby pledge to endeavour to incorporate a joint cultural event between the communities where possible as part of the festival celebrating this document.

3.1 Both signatories should endeavour to create activities which are open to both communities as a means of creating a shared environment.

3.2 The signing of this document shall be officially commemorated by a signing ceremony between the President and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Spiritus and the Delegate and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the South Pacific.

3.3 The signatories should endeavour to collaborate on joint cultural efforts during major NationStates events to better strengthen and advance their relationship.

3.4 The signatories affirm that Lampshades are both mandatory and fashionable headwear for citizens of both regions. We further mandate that ducks are cool.

3.5 Following the passage of this document, both signatories pledge that Spiritus will only be allowed to import Lampshades from the South Pacific and that the South Pacific will only be allowed to import ducks from Spiritus.

Article 4 - Administration of Agreement

4. The South Pacific and Spiritus may choose to conclude this formal relationship at any time by giving a minimum of 14 days notice to either party via the embassy of the respective party on their forum.

4.1 This document will need to be formally repealed by the Legislatures of each signatory.

4.2 Both signatories should endeavour to seek a solution to any issues that arise before seeking an conclusion to the Accord. They pledge to resolve any differences in a peaceful and non-confrontational manner and will not threaten or force either side to adhere to their wishes.

4.3 This Treaty will come into effect once ratified by the Assembly of the South Pacific and the Regional Assembly of Spiritus following a signing ceremony as mentioned in 3.2.

4.4 This treaty shall expire 12 months (one calendar year) from ratification by both parties unless it is renewed by both signatories within that time period following a gathering to discuss the relationship and ensure there is communication between both parties.

4.5 This treaty will be considered null and void should the Coalition of the South Pacific or the Elemental Republic of Spiritus cease to exist without any named successor governments, subject to re-ratification by successor authorities as necessary.

Full support.

Still not particularly keen at all on the re-ratification requirement (See 4.4). 

Is Spiritus not committed to a relationship with The South Pacific? At the moment, I'm not sure I'd support the treaty with the re-ratification requirement - I think it was a misstep to allow that to even be a thing in the first place. It puzzles me why Spiritus would want a re-ratification requirement when it jeopardizes the agreement altogether.

Furthermore, it's unclear whether "renewal" requires 50+1% support or the typical 60%.  One alternative would be to allow for either side to implement their own sunset provisions with regards to this treaty - allowing Spiritus to do their renewal stuff, while we maintain the treaty (if we have problems, we repeal the treaty - we don't need a reminder in 12 months to do this).

I support the treaty, with two observations:
  • We should not mention specific heads of state in Clauses 1.2 and 1.3, since those heads of state will not remain such forever. Instead we should focus those clauses to the recognition of the legitimate head of state, whoever that may be at any given time.
  • Clause 4.4 is unnecessary and could result in a good relationship being lost because of a possible failure to renew the treaty.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I don't have any issues with the treaty as written, and I will support it.

I have no experience with treaties in NS. Please enlighten me as to why this is necessary and/or important.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

Full support, except 4.4
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

Does the duck importation clause affect any of our other treaties? Because that could be an issue...

(Seems an odd thing to include, this sort of stuff makes the whole thing seem a bit jokey, rather than a serious diplomatic document)

Spiritus seems a pretty good region, no real issue with having a treaty with them. Others have already expressed my bigger concerns with the current version of this. They can probably be worked around though.

I was originally iffy on both the head's of state (1.2-3) and the renewal clause. (4.4). However, if Spritius would like the the renewal clause, I think we can go with it.

It really shouldn't be that difficult to get together with our allies and discuss a treaty renewal. If that is a terrible burden for us, then maybe we're the group that isn't taking this treaty seriously, not the other way around. Moreover it would prevent treaties from falling inactive and stop us from having to appeal treaties en masse, as we're currently doing.

To Unibot's point, whether we need to pass it by 50%+1 or 60% (it would be the 60%) isn't Spiritus' concern, but is our concern. The fact that we can't figure out our laws is not a reason to force change with a diplomatic partner.

To Kris' concern of names, if Spritius really wants it as is, I'm fine with it. If it's updated once a year, it'll never be *that* out of date.

I'm also with Aram about the Duck/Lampshade stuff. But, it generally seems fine, as long as we all understand it's a joke clause.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Quote:It really shouldn't be that difficult to get together with our allies and discuss a treaty renewal. If that is a terrible burden for us, then maybe we're the group that isn't taking this treaty seriously, not the other way around. Moreover it would prevent treaties from falling inactive and stop us from having to appeal treaties en masse, as we're currently doing.

To Unibot's point, whether we need to pass it by 50%+1 or 60% (it would be the 60%) isn't Spiritus' concern, but is our concern. The fact that we can't figure out our laws is not a reason to force change with a diplomatic partner.

1. I do not have a problem with us moving to a discussion with allies, even a mandated discussion like a mandatory yearly summit. But I do oppose a mandated "renewal" where the treaty is forced into jeopardy every twelve months.

2. You say it'd be 60%, but that's not at all clear - the law doesn't anticipate the use of renewals and Spiritus would be wise to accommodate our laws, not push this onerous renewal system.