We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Poll: What is your stance on abortion?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pro-choice
6.25%
1 6.25%
Pro-life
0%
0 0%
Ban after the first trimester
0%
0 0%
Pro-life, but allow in cases of rape, incest, or danger to the mother or child's health
25.00%
4 25.00%
Pro-choice, I don't agree with it but it's not my right or the government's to ban abortion
12.50%
2 12.50%
Pro-choice, but providing birth control, sex education, and social services could help reduce the number of abortions
56.25%
9 56.25%
Other
0%
0 0%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Abortion

After a sidebar discussion about abortion on another thread, I have decided to start a debate on this issue. My stance on it is that I am against abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or when the life of the mother is in danger. I am still in high school and my former U.S. history teacher made a good point: abortion is unnecessary if we distribute contraceptives. This is why I oppose abortion. What is your stance and why?

The poll above was borrowed from the ISideWith.com political quiz.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Pro-choice, of course.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

I really don't know. I have moved from pro-choice to pro-life so many times. Mainly because I believe people should have the choice, however then I think about what about the child that does not have a choice.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

Abortion: Is It Right Or Wrong?

The debate around abortion is a fiery one, where people have very strong and decided views. There are two main sides in the debate; the pro-life side and the pro-choice side. There is also a splinter group that evolved from the pro-life movement of those who are against abortion but can accept it in certain cases, such as a threat to the mother’s life. The debate has split political parties and forced region to take a side. In this essay I plan to explore the abortion debate and find out where religion and political parties stand on the issue, and if they think abortion is right or wrong.

To be able to fully understand the abortion debate you must first understand the Dictionary definition which states that abortion is: “The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy; most often performed during the first 28 weeks.”

Abortion is currently legal in UK expect in Northern Ireland, where the laws are very strictly against it expect in very rare cases. In the rest of the UK however abortion is legal if it is carried out within the first 24 weeks, two doctors have agreed that the abortion would cause less damage to the mother both physically or mentally and if it is carried out in a hospital or a licenced clinic. In very few cases an abortion can be carried out after the 24 weeks mark, this can only happen if it would prevent injury to the mother physically or mentally, save the mother’s life or if the child would be born with serious mental or physical disabilities.

In Scotland abortion rates are falling with the number of abortions per year falling from 13, 904 in 2008 to 12,447 in 2012. Despite this fall however the number of repeat abortions is actually increasing. Those living in poorer areas are having more abortions than those living in better off areas. Those aged 16-24 have the most abortions per year with those again living in pooper areas having more abortions than those living in richer areas, in this age group those living in the poorer areas are having twice the number compared to those living in the better off areas.

Christianity is the world’s largest religion with 2.2 billion followers worldwide, and thus it has a clear view on abortion. The Christian Church teaches it’s followers that life is a sacred gift from god and the Bible suggests that life begins in the womb; a main argument for the pro-life movement.

“For you created my inmost being: you knit me together in my mother’s womb.” Psalm 139:13.

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart.” Jeremiah 1:5.

An early Christian document known as the Didaehe quite clear condemns it. “You shall not kill by abortion the fruit of the womb.”

The Roman Catholic Church is very blunt with its attitude towards abortion, that is to say it is against abortion in every sense expect they can accept the loss of a foetus if treatment is given to the mother during the pregnancy and results in the death of the foetus. They call this “double effect”. The Catholic Church also states that life begins in the womb.

“From the first movment of his (her) existence, a human being must be recognised as having the rights of a person- among which is inviolable right of every innocent being to life” CCC 2270 (Catechism of the Catholic Church)

“When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.” Luke 1:41

The Church of England does not encourage abortion among its members or to the general public to that matter but does believe that the life of an unborn child is lesser than the life of a pregnant mother. From these extracts from Christian text I am able to safely assume that Christianity views abortion as wrong.

Islam is the world’s second largest religion in world with 1.6 billion followers and is the fastest growing religion with current projections suggesting that it will have 2.76 billion followers worldwide by 2050. Islam is slightly more favourable towards abortion however does still in most cases regard it as wrong. The Qur’an never directly discuss abortion but does refer to related topics from which we can make an educated guess.

“Whosoever has killed a soul, it is as though he has murdered all of mankind” Qur’an 5:32

The Qur’an makes clear that killing your child due to fear of poverty is wrong and this could be viewed as being against aborting an unborn child due to the fear of poverty.

“Kill not your offspring for fear of poverty: it is we who provide for them and for you. Surely killing them is a great sin. Qur’an 17:32

Most Muslims see the abortion of a foetus to save the life of the mother the “lesser of two evils” and in Sharia law it commonly has a principle of picking the lesser of two evils. From this and extracts from the Qur’an I can amuse that Islam views abortion as wrong however not as defiantly as I was able to do so with Christianity.

In the US abortion is a big deal during governorship elections and the primaries of the US Presidential Election, however not so much of a deal during the actual Presidential Election. For the first time in eight years the pro-choice movement is ahead of the pro-life movement. Democrats support the women’s right to choice whereas Republicans support the protection of the unborn child.

Democrats support Roe vs Wade this was a case taken up by the US Supreme Court ending in 1973. This ruled that the right to privacy under the Due Process Clause under the 14th amendment of the Constitution of the United States also extended a women’s right to an abortion. Democrats believe that a woman should have access to a safe abortion regardless of the women’s ability to pay. They believe this as they believe that the choice to have an abortion is one up to the woman, her family and doctor, and not one for the government or any politician to get involved. I can very safely say that Democrats think abortion is right.

Republicans have the complete opposite view of that to the Democrats, they believe that an unborn child has the same right to life as any other human being. They are against Roe vs Wade and want to change the law. However the Republican Party is being moved closer to the left on this issue. There is an upward trend in the Republican Party of those who describe themselves as being pro-choice and while the soon to be Republican nominee; Donald Trump may have what most regard as extreme views on abortion three of his once main rivals supported abortion in certain cases, they were Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio and Chris Christie. While at this moment in time it is safe to assume that Republicans view abortion as wrong in the future this may well change with more Republicans moving closer to the left on this issue and with the election filed becoming more friendly towards Democrats who support abortion. But for now Republicans view abortion as wrong.

The world’s two largest religions both view abortion wrong in nearly all cases however both do allow exceptions to the rule. In the US people are becoming more pro-choice with the Democrats supporting abortion while Republicans disagree.

For me the issue is a difficult one and I constantly flip-flop on the issue. I am left-wing and I also believe I am a liberal and I despise the views of the right on most issues but on this one part of me agree with what they are saying.

I have been pro-choice as I do believe that a women should have the right to choice over what happens with her body however I do also believe that a child should have the right to life. I believe that abortion should be legal in the first 24 weeks so long as it is performed in an NHS hospital so that business cannot gain money from the termination of a human child and so that all have an equal access no matter if they are rich or poor to help prevent any desperate measures that a woman may take. I do however believe that it should be illegal after 24 weeks unless the child would be born with serious disabilities mental and/or physical, the mother’s life is at risk, the mother’s physical and/or mental health is in danger, and also in cases of rape and incest. They would again have to be performed in an NHS hospital for the aforementioned reasons above.

Abortion and if it is right or wrong is a real issue that will continue to tear a line between people. There are so many answers, some similar to other and some completely different yet at the same time they are all wrong as there is no real answer to the abortion question and there never will be. We will just have to keep arguing our points in this debate for all eternity.

That's a short report on it, which shows my views but I'm mainly sharing this as I'm worried my pen drive hasn't saved this properly and so I know where I can find it if it hasn't.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I am a Christian (as my signature constantly reminds you, so that was a bit pointless), but I think I'm Pro-Choice. Like Punchwood, I've ummed and ahhed about it quite a bit, but it seems to boil down to this for me:

Seccular viewpoints:
- There is the serious issue of women's reproductive rights. At exactly what point that becomes more important the rights of the foetus I have no idea, but it is certainly clear that there are two sets of rights to consider.
-Like Qvait, I think that this means there must at least be exceptions to any absolute moral stance against abortion and also that there are options for the majority that should prevent its neccessity (although they are not always a guarantee and the attitudes of men towards contraceptives can prevent women from exercising their right to use them, even outside of clear-cut rape cases).

Spiritual viewpoints:
- I believe that we cannot legislate subjective morality. Just because I believe something to be true does not mean I can force others to conform to that belief. Even God doesn't do that (although there are consequences).
- God in the Bible is frequently described as 'giving people over' to their sinful desires, which I read as allowing people to make the choice for themselves (although usually after making it clear which course of action is the correct one). There are periods in Israel's history (most notable in Judges) where 'every man did what was right in his own eyes'. This is not seen to be a good thing (and again, it has consequences), but God allowed it to happen (and for people to make their own choices and accept the consequences thereof).
-I believe in putting forth my belief that others might not be ignorant of it, but in the end feel that I have no choice but to stand back and let them make that choice for themselves.

But whenever I write all that I still have the nagging thought at the back of my mind, 'but what about the justice for the child?' To which: I don't know. Sometimes there is no justice. Not in this life anyway.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I am pro-life with exceptions to rape, incest, or the life of the mother is endangered. If a woman wants an abortion for any other reason, it will not be done. She should at least give birth to the child and, if she doesn't want him or her, just give him or her up for adoption.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I am currently undecided on the issue. Most of the people I know who have a stance on the issue are pro-life (Venezuela is a very Catholic country, and I'm in a Catholic school, so I and lots of other people have been taught to think of abortion as immoral). I'm not religious, but I'm not sure if it's morally right to kill an unborn child. However, I'm also not sure if the government should be allowed to legislate what a woman can do with her own body.

I do think abortion should be allowed in cases of rape, dangers to the health of the mother or the child, and maybe incest.
RandomGuy199
Representative of the Federal Republic of Karnetvor
Resident Venezuelan/Lampshade Bar & Grill Manager- The South Pacific
Soldier, South Pacific Special Forces

"You're talkin' to the Rolex wearin', diamond ring wearin', kiss stealin', wheelin' n' dealin', limousine ridin', jet flyin', son of a gun, and I'm having a hard time keeping these alligators down!"

"The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

(05-11-2016, 10:43 PM)RandomGuy199 Wrote: Venezuela is a very Catholic country, and I'm in a Catholic school, so I and lots of other people have been taught to think of abortion as immoral

Same in Peru.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

My belief in the matter is very much pro-choice. I don't know about you, but I'd rather listen to what the grown woman is saying, instead of an embryo. I think she knows her life better than anyone else, including old white guys in the legislature. Tounge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

Well if she wants to commit murder than be my guest. I'm not coming to Court.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy: