We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Issue VII

TOP STORY: PUNCHWOOD ELECTED TO THE HIGH COURT
Punchwood is elected as the fourth Justice of the High Court

[Image: mzCVlGF.jpg?1]

Punchwood before being sworn in as Justice

On August 21 Election Commissioner Sandaoguo certified the results from the second round of voting and announced that Punchwood had been elected the fourth and final Justice of the High Court, defeating contender Sean Nadasky by a margin for five votes. Punchwood had run on a campaign that admitted his lack of experience with legal interpretation but argued that his opponent had even less experience and highlighted instead his past involvement in the Ministry of Regional Affairs.

His campaign came under criticism from former Foreign Minister Sandaoguo, who said the High Court should be composed of individuals with extensive experience in South Pacifican law and its interpretation, something he believed was lacking in Punchwood. Chief Justice ProfessorHenn also brought to public attention the fact that Punchwood had been contacting individuals through the forum private messaging system to ask for their vote, on the justification that such campaigning could become bullying. Punchwood was partially defended by contender Sean Nadasky and Minister of Regional Affairs Kris Kringle. While the former said it was fair game, even if somehow hurtful, the latter proposed that private campaigning in itself was not bullying, unless the candidate kept insisting even when asked not to.

Punchwood joins ProfessorHenn, Darkstrait and Ryccia as the last remaining member of the High Court. In preceding weeks the judiciary had come under increased scrutiny, following a series of allegations that it had failed to follow proper procedure in the handling of a legal question appeal. Hileville had already resigned in order to assume his new position as Minister of Foreign Affairs. All three remaining justices resigned in protest over what they percieved as undue behaviour by forum administrators or due to the sharp increase in drama and criticism from certain citizens.

Business for the High Court began before Punchwood was elected, since a quorum of three was already present. In its first official acts, the Court elected ProfessorHenn as Chief Justice and dismissed miscarriage of justice charges against Apad, on the grounds that he was no longer a resident, and therefore not subject to the jurisdiction of the Coalition.

"The Court is not a thing you should be elected to"
Chief Justice ProfessorHenn sat down with the Southern Journal for a short interview

[Image: 5x91s3c.jpg?1]

ProfessorHenn has recently been elected Chief Justice

ProfessorHenn is the current Chief Justice of the South Pacific. He previously served one term as Minister of the Army and another term as Minister of Regional Affairs. He is a two-time candidate for Delegate and also active in Treasure Island, where he roleplays as Sporaltryus. He recently sat down with the Southern Journal to discuss his election to the Court and his thoughts on judicial reform.

Chief Justice, welcome and thanks for agreeing to this interview.

Of course, Kris. My pleasure.

I want to start by asking about your motivations for running. You were involved in both the Special Forces and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but have recently resigned from both. What made you want to turn to the judiciary?

Experience. Thus far into my NS career, I've been heavily involved with Executive business, and slight involvement into the Legislative. But my experience with the Judicial side of things has been limited to a position as Chief Justice in the KoA and a post in favor of Wolf during the well known debacle in March. In addition, I feel a need to distance myself from the community as a whole due to personal reasons.

Out of the current Court, you are probably the one most experienced in terms of elections and campaigning. Do you believe the current system of election justices is conductive to a qualified and objective Court?

Not at all. The Court is not a thing you should be elected to, as it's goals are contrary to the idea of elections, that, and that come election time, objectivity will decrease, as the Court struggles to get elected again. With regards to the real world, John Oliver did a segment on Elected Judges, and while much of it doesn't make sense in NS, the substance that Elected Judges are a bad idea is very clear, in both RL and in NS. I'd love to work with the CoA to try to make a better court system that would better reflect the ideals the Court should work upon, that of objectivity and of sound legal rulings. The system we've been brainstorming early on is no where near ready to be presented to the Assembly, but I hope it can happen before the next judicial elections, as an elected court isn't too fair in terms of what a Court must do.

Is there anything you could share about the general idea behind this system you propose?

A system based on objectivity and experience. Appointed justices by the cabinet and approved by the assembly, and ideally appointed only when necessary, not serving long terms, or if one does serves for a time, as the only one.

There has been some controversy in past weeks because of the organisation of the Court, particularly the figure of the appellate justice. Should there be any changes to the appeals process?

The appeals process needs to be clearly decided before a case actually happens, so that we may avoid this in the future. That being said, what the admins did was also a little out of bounds, as reporting a failure to uphold the law is not the duty of an administrator or a moderator.

On Saturday, SPINN published an editorial that criticised the inexperience of newly elected justices and called for an end to Court elections. It was heavily criticised by some, including Ryccia and Punchwood. What opinion do you have of the editorial?

While I certainly agree in relation to court elections, the criticism was highly uninformed and very insulting.

How would you describe your relationship with your fellow justices?

Uneasy. While I personally can separate two different communities, like I did with Roleplay and the SPSF, I can't say the same of my fellows. I sincerely hope that my associate Justices don't take RP-greivances into the Court, as that is contrary to what should exist in the relationship between RP and GP, and as I'm sure you know, I'm not well liked by them in RP.

Thanks for agreeing to this interview. I wish the Court the best in this term.

Return of the Lampshade Cabinet
Ministry of Regional Affairs organises elections for the second Lampshade Cabinet

[Image: R6Y1iSo.png?1]

Members of the Lampshade Cabinet having their first meeting

A lesser known election has been going in for over a week now, though most forum regulars know little about it. Delegate Feirmont and Minister Kris Kringle are overseeing the elections for the second Lampshade Cabinet, a series of oddly-named positions designed to entertain and incentivate gameside activity and engagement.

New Kravania has already been elected Head Wizard, following a hotly contested campaign with four other candidates. NK promised to give everyone time machines, create a real-sized Olaf with marshmallows, reform the Wizard League and give out free PS pre-releases. In second and third place came Iribet and Dripperton, who promised to get Fallout 4 released early and turn gold into lead, respectively. In distant fourth place were tied Zadiner and Unreal, who both promised to give out free pancakes.

The Solar System Scope won yesterday the election for Bearer of the Sonic Screwdriver, in addition to his other role as Lord of Space and Protector of the TARDIS Keys. He competed against Zadiner, though he maintained a clear lead throughout the voting period, getting 31 votes against 6 for Zadiner. Minister Kringle is keeping nominations open for Chief Marshal of the Lampshade Brigade, with Dripperton and Zadiner having announced their candidacy so far.

Alice Parker has been outright named the Master Thief of the South Pacific, a move widely supported by the gameside community. Lady Jessica Rabbit has also been confirmed as the Official Veronica Lake Impersonator, while The Solar System Scope remains Lord of Space and Protector of the TARDIS Keys. All three were named to during the previous elections for the Lampshade Cabinet.

Surge in Cultural Activities
There is a surge in game-based cultural initiatives from the Ministry of Regional Affairs

[Image: jmStI60.jpg?1]

Staff from the Ministry of Regional Affairs planning new activities

There has been a surge in game-based activities this past week. Starting on August 15 the Ministry of Regional Affairs has sponsored the revival of TriviaSP, the historical trivia game, the Nation of the Week programme, the Lampshade Cabinet elections and a new edition of the Ejection Contest.

While TriviaSP has remained relatively inactive despite its revival, Nation of the Week and the Lampshade Cabinet have been well received. Alice Parker was named the Nation of the Week, due to her high activity on the Regional Message Board and her popular thievery, said to embody the best of the South Pacific. While less prominent, a programme called Today in History has also been instituted, where each week a piece of history is shared on the Regional Message Board. This week the Ministry shared a news article from 2003 by Geomania that announced the results from the August 2003 election.

Meanwhile, a new edition of the South Pacific Ejection Contest began yesterday. With 29 nations participating, the objective is to avoid being placed last on the daily World Census for the special region, without answering any issues. Months ago the Ejection Contest was hosted by Aramanchovia and ProfessorHenn.

Random Musings
Embracing Editorial Neutrality by Kris Kringle, Chief Editor

It is quite the throwback to be sitting in front of my computer, writing a Random Musing. Those dedicated enough to have followed the Southern Journal since the very beginning will remember that Random Musing was a segment meant for guest contributors to write opinion pieces that was only featured in our first issue. I now find myself almost one year later, writing another piece for a somewhat more serious topic.

I founded the Southern Journal when I was Delegate of the South Pacific, based on the belief that we needed a newspaper that provided quality journalism without catering to the interests of private individuals or regional governments. We are a state newspaper, but our editorial line is one of neutrality. Our agenda is not influenced by whatever is important to the government, nor do we refrain from running stories that might be uncomfortable to whoever happens to be in power. We also allow individuals to publish opinion piece under our banner, because we understand that openness and access to information are important in a democratic society. In few words, the Southern Journal is here to give information. Whether that information comes as objective news reporting or opinion pieces from both sides of an argument is irrelevant, so long as the public remains informed of the real issues at hand.

A few weeks ago we saw heated debates regarding the allegations that the High Court had failed to follow proper procedure and the responding accusations that an administrator had overstepped the bounds of his mandate. All three justices resigned from the Court and left the South Pacific, either refusing to deal with the increased levels of drama or in protest for what they perceived as improper administrative behaviour. I will not comment on that particular event, since much of what there is to say has already been said, and because that is not the purpose of this writing.

Former Chief Justice TAC now displays a signature on all his posts on the NationStates Forum that says: waiting for Kringalia's propoganda via the Southern Journal that villifies me and paints him and Glen-Rhodes the picture of perfection. I am not sorry to say I will disappoint him. I am not perfect, but neither he nor Sandaoguo are perfect either. I get pleasure in running an unbiased newspaper, because I sincerely believe that this region benefits from objective news reporting more than it would ever benefit from a biased editorial line. I write articles based on what has happened, not what I wish had happened.

Some may believe that I am a crooked politician, or at least a two-faced individual, and perhaps I am two-faced at times, but I have some very clear lines, and one of them is the integrity of this newspaper. Using the Southern Journal as a propaganda machine was never an option, nor will it ever be one for as long as I remain at its helm. I am interested in giving factual accounts of what happens, and glad to provide a platform for opposing viewpoints to make their case.

I am not above learning from my own mistakes, but I also hope others learn from theirs. Implying I would violate the editorial line of this newspaper involves ignoring its long history of objectivity, all to make a political point. Publishing the seventh issue of the Southern Journal proves yet again that our interest is merely to provide quality reporting to the South Pacific, and should put to rest any concerns or accusations that partisan or political interests might affect its objectivity.

Southern Journal does not necessarily share the views or stances contained in this opinion piece.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Hmmm, I would say that the Southern Journal does, as of yet, remain neutral on most issues. A real shame the same cannot be said for SPINN.
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

I guess it is also a matter of how neutral does SPINN actually claim to be. Since it has released the judicial reform editorial, I assume it will not shy away from taking positions. I wanted to discuss that in Random Musing, but I did not fit the overall topic. Personally I think it is fine for a newspaper to not be neutral, as long as it is honest about its editorial line and remains factually accurate in its news reporting, People will know how to approach it and the writers will run the stories they want.

I do appreciate the vote of confidence in our objectivity. Smile
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I liked that issue a lot! I look forward to the next.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

(08-24-2015, 07:50 AM)Darkstrait Wrote: Hmmm, I would say that the Southern Journal does, as of yet, remain neutral on most issues. A real shame the same cannot be said for SPINN.

I think the issue you have with the lastest SPINN publication is your own mistaken understandings of what an editorial is. The New York Times is a paper of record that provides largely unbiased news. Quite literally it's one of the few newspapers that can be used in a legal setting to prove legal claims. Yet it also has an Editorial Board that writes opinion pieces and endorses candidates and policies.

Newspapers have always had editorial content. By definition, that content is not neutral and unbiased. It's the opinion of the writers, which is why it's separated from the rest of the news content and specially labeled as an editorial.

Your beef with SPINN is that an editorial was critical of you. That doesn't make its non-opinion content biased.

*Clap clap clap*

Good! Southern Journal is unbiased as usual! I really like the SJ! Happywide
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

(08-24-2015, 02:44 PM)sandaoguo Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 07:50 AM)Darkstrait Wrote: Hmmm, I would say that the Southern Journal does, as of yet, remain neutral on most issues. A real shame the same cannot be said for SPINN.

I think the issue you have with the lastest SPINN publication is your own mistaken understandings of what an editorial is. The New York Times is a paper of record that provides largely unbiased news. Quite literally it's one of the few newspapers that can be used in a legal setting to prove legal claims. Yet it also has an Editorial Board that writes opinion pieces and endorses candidates and policies.

Newspapers have always had editorial content. By definition, that content is not neutral and unbiased. It's the opinion of the writers, which is why it's separated from the rest of the news content and specially labeled as an editorial.

Your beef with SPINN is that an editorial was critical of you. That doesn't make its non-opinion content biased.

What of the previous article?

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

There was nothing factually inaccurate in the SPINN article on Punchwood.

Legal Resources:

Factually inaccurate is not necessarily the same thing as biased, and I was not talking about the Punchwood article.

But I digress.

You said the previous article. I assume it meant the right right before the editorial.

Legal Resources: