We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Interview with Awe - Part 2

"We must guard against elitism. Against supremacy, dominance and self-righteousness."
Interview with Awe - Part 2

[Image: jJklosx.jpg?1]

Awe believes compromise and civility are paramount

In the first section of this two-part interview, Awe discussed his opinion on the state of the judiciary and his role as Deputy Chair of the Assembly. In this second and final part he now talks about his participation in Treasure Island and his view on how much the South Pacific has changed throughout the years and where it is headed, warning about the dangers of giving too much power to any single group, at the expense of the community.

We have talked about your thoughts on the High Court and your role as Deputy Chair of the Assembly. I now want to focus on your participation in Bantam Harbour. Your activity levels have dwindled in the past few weeks, but you are still one of the major powers in the South Pacific. What is it that drew you to participate in roleplay?

I think it started from having a Twitter feed, and us interacting. Minus the off-site forum government, NS at its foundations is a game about nation simulation and I think roleplaying is integral to fulfilling that. I wanted to build Awesomiasa as a nation, and through RP, I believe I have.

Your nation is a founding member of the Southern Cooperation Organisation and the Western Alliance, and one of the six powers negotiating at the Government Island Summit. Why do you think Awesomiasa is so well positioned in the international system?

I think it is in part as a result of Awesomiasa’s willingness to commit to diplomacy and bilateral relations, along with its longstanding pacifist values. Obviously, that has changed in response to international situation, but Awesomiasa is still not as militarised as the other nations. Some may say that Awesomiasa is using its power at the international level to pick on other nations, but I’d deny that that is the case. Instead, I’d argue that sanctions and other actions against certain nations are sometimes a necessity towards other nations. As Awesomiasa, I’d say that I’d be worried if whatever is happening in the South Pacific became a reality. As Awe the player, I’d say that I wished some players took roleplaying more seriously, and not adopt a ‘nuke everything, all guns blazing’ mindset. That just makes RP unrealistic.

How much of a problem is lack of realism, compared to how it was earlier this year?

Well, with the Consortium, and Ryccia’s continuing riots, I’d say little has changed. But I guess the South Pacific is just meant to be that volatile. To quote former British PM Harold Macmillan, ‘The wind of change is blowing through this continent. Whether we like it or not, this growth of national consciousness is a political fact’. National consciousness in the context of the South Pacific would be how we see nations vying for a position of importance or international prominence, whether through eminent policies by their government, or continued civil disobedience.

Is volatility a sign of lack of realism, though?

Taken to extremes, perhaps. Though it might just be for dramatic effect, as I believe may be evident from events in Sporaltryus and Farengeto. However, it still does seem unrealistic to have a teenage Head of State, and riots every other day, even for the most nationalistic of peoples. And yes, I will not deny that I lack objectivity when discussing Ryccia.

Do you believe the current period of focusing on space will eventually give way to another period of volatility?

I cannot say for certain, but a space race would only open up new frontiers for space colonisation and dominance. However, as JFK had said, ‘We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained, and new rights to be won, and they must be won and used for the progress of all people.’ Awesomiasa has yet to have a stake in the space race, but I hold the same ideals that JFK did at that time, that the vast frontier of space be used for good and not for evil.

I now want to move on to the last portion of this interview. You have been around for at least two years. How much has the South Pacific changed in that time?

I think the South Pacific has definitely become more vibrant and diverse in the time I’ve been around. RP is on the rise, new Ministers are added to Cabinet every election, such a renewal in the Cabinet is always a good sight. The former Old Guard of the region has largely been diminished. However, most regrettably with that came the rise of a new generation of Old Guards.

We must guard against elitism, Kris. Against supremacy, dominance and self-righteousness. We must guard against arrogance, abuse and cynicism. If there is a reason I have an aversion towards having established gameplayers, especially those who come with vested interests, selfish motives, in the region, in government, it is because I believe that they have became too cynical. Or perhaps, even too accustomed to being right, being in power, that they are unwilling to hear differing opinions. I simply do not believe that should be the way.

There has been talk of toxicity and all that. None of this would have happened if we were willing to hear each other out, which I appreciate may not be possible in times of an impassionate, heated debate, but I still stand by my views nonetheless. I understand that a majority of the players are born and raised in the West, in nations with largely liberal values like America, the UK, Canada, and so on, and they may have strong views they so intrinsically believe in, and are willing to defend to their death. However, at the end of the day, I’d still like to believe that we’re rational, thinking, discerning humans, and perhaps we could take a page from certain Asian values, to be humble, to sometimes compromise. While not a definite cure for toxicity, I suppose this gives some headway in decreasing it.

Do you believe it is possible for there not to be 'guards' at any given point in time?

It is an ideal, but I doubt it could be possible. It is by human nature that we want power, influence, control, and some will rise above others. I am not a sociologist, nor an anthropologist, nor a psychologist, so that’s an unscientific, unfounded opinion. But no, given the dynamics of the game, I don’t think it’s possible.

You have served as Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Regional Affairs and Deputy Chair of the Assembly. Is there anything you did in those positions that you feel has been particularly consequential for the region?

I think my tenure as Deputy Chair will be more consequential for the region as compared to being in Regional Affairs and Foreign Affairs. I think it was through my experience as a Justice that had helped me see the region from a more mature perspective. We will be undertaking various reforms, and this will definitely have an impact on the region. I’m excited to be spearheading this alongside Farengeto, so I’d like to think my tenure as Deputy Chair will be more consequential. Of course, my tenure as Justice, I believe, has had the most consequential impact, given the drafting of the Rules and Procedures.

As this interview comes to a close, would you like to leave some words of wisdom on how you would like to see the region in the near future?

Definitely on a constant cycle of change and renewal, I’m excited to see what new TSPers that will make their mark in the region in time to come and in the future have to bring to the table, and I hope that TSPers will be receptive to these fresh ideas.

This has been a very lengthy interview, so I must thank you for your patience and endurance over the past 2 days, Kringle. I guess that’s all from me, thank you for having me.

Thanks for agreeing to this interview. It has been a real pleasure, and I hope we can soon see the results from your work at the Assembly.

Disclaimer: Southern Journal does not necessarily share the views or opinions, nor endorse the actions or suggestions, contained or otherwise described in this interview.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

It's really interesting to think about the different approaches players have based on their geographical origin. Awe is from Singapore (I think?), and there is this idea of "Asia-style democracy" that values a more communitarian approach to politics. It sounds like Awe is advocating for that in TSP.

(08-28-2015, 02:40 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: It's really interesting to think about the different approaches players have based on their geographical origin.

Don't look at me. I despise American politics. Tounge
Darkstrait  :ninja:

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

"Hats is very fashion this year."

Hey! My riots are dimishing. Its not like everyday molotov cocktails blaze to the streets! Im trying very hard to dimish them! Tell that to Europe, there's always a riot there!
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

You always have riots. Tell us the truth, you like having riots. Tounge
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Yeah.... I admit.... Sigh....

How can I stop liking riots?
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Encourage them in other countries?

Former Justice, Former Local Councilor, Roleplayer, Former SPSF Deputy for Recruitment, Politically Active Citizen, Ex-Spammer Supreme, and Resident Geek

What?

Send in agents during a scandal and incite riot in other people's countries.

No, or else more sanctions will be over my head.

And I asked how can I stop liking riots.