We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Citizenship Applications

Welcome to the South Pacific!

This is one the largest regions in NationStates and the oldest democracy in the world. We aim at being a welcoming and open region who offer a diverse range of opportunities for everyone to have fun and get involved. While regional politics are our most distinctive source of activity, we also have a vibrant roleplay community and very friendly residents who are willing to welcome all newcomers and help them get involved in the region. In this case, you will be reading about our citizenship process and its benefits.

WHAT IS CITIZENSHIP?

Citizenship is the term we use to identify people with nations in the region (residents) who have taken the additional step of filling a special application. All residents are automatically given basic rights by our laws, but citizens have the additional rights to vote in elections and run for office. In addition, citizenship gives you the right to participate in our regional legislature, debating and voting on bills that will improve the state of the region.

DO I NEED CITIZENSHIP?

It is always important to ask yourself if you need citizenship, and to answer that question you must consider the following aspects:

Do I want to vote in elections?
Do I plan to run for elected office at some point in the future?
Do I want to get involved in regional politics, namely debate and vote in our Assembly?

You must keep in mind that citizenship only matters if you are interested in participating in the regional government, either as an elected official or through your vote. If you prefer to play spam games or roleplay that is perfectly fine. As would also be if you wanted to both roleplay and participate in government. Citizenship is open to anyone with a nation in the South Pacific, but it is important to be aware that it is not a pre-requisite to participate in most sections of this forum.

DO I HAVE ANY RIGHTS?

As was mentioned above, all residents are automatically guaranteed certain rights by our Charter, regardless of their citizenship status. The following is a summary of all rights afforded to you as a resident:
  • To freedom of speech, expression and of the press.
  • To freedom of thought, belief, opinion and conscience.
  • To freedom of association and peaceful assembly.
  • To equality and partification without arbitrary or discriminative restrictions.
  • To petition and receive prompt responses from the government.
  • To self-defence, a speedy trial, due process and protection from ex post facto laws.
  • To apply for citizenship and be accepted or given a reason if denied and to appeal any denial.
  • To reside in the region without arbitrary ejections.
  • To freely give and receive endorsements, subject to the endorsement cap.
  • To vote and be elected for the Local Council if a non-citizen and to any office if a citizen.
Our laws are frequently updated, so if you want to review the latest version or simply read all our laws, please refer to the Law Library or consult the Chair of the Assembly.

HOW DO I BECOME A CITIZEN?

In order to become a citizen, you simply have to fill the following application amd post it as a reply to this thread:

Code:
I, [b][nation]Nation Name[/nation][/b], accept the terms and conditions of the Charter of the South Pacific.
[b]World Assembly Nation:[/b] [nation]WA Nation Name[/nation]
[b]I am associated with, or have been associated with, the following regions and organisations:[/b] List Here

Make sure to write down the name of your nation, instead of its full title. For instance, Testlandia instead of the Empire of Testlandia.

The above application asks for the name of your nation to ensure you are a resident. It asks for your WA nation as a security measure, but know that it does not need to be the same nation as your resident nation. It finally asks you to list all regions and organisations that you are or have been associated with, so we can know about your background. If you are a completely new player, you just need to indicate that instead of making the list.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE BEFORE MY APPLICATION IS APPROVED?

There is no set time, but it should take no more than a week, in the more extreme cases.

The way the applications process works is your application will be reviewed by our Vice Delegate for its accuracy. They will then conditionally approve or deny to application. If your application is denied, you have a right to know why that happened and to submit an appeal as a reply to this thread, which will mean our Assembly will consider your application. It takes a 60% vote to overturn the denial.

Once an application is approved or its denial is overturned, it will be reviewed by our forum administrators to be sure that you are not someone trying to evade a forum ban or someone who already has citizenship with another account. If your check is clean you will be approved for citizenship. If your check fails, your application will be denied without the chance to appeal.

In most cases, the process is fairly straightforward. An application is reviewed by the Vice Delegate and forum administrators, and is approved in a matter of hours or days at most. The only situation in which an application might take longer to be process is if it was submitted during an election. Our law mandates that there should be no new citizens during an election, so if your application takes a while to be processed, that could be the reason. When in doubt, it is best to ask.

CAN I LOSE MY CITIZENSHIP?

You are allowed to resign your citizenship at any moment. In addition, there are certain reasons why your citizenship would be removed:
  • You no longer have a nation in the region
  • You have failed to post twice on this forum during the past 30 days
  • You are a member of a region classified as a criminal organisation (currently none)
  • You have been deemed a security threat by the Cabinet
If at any point you feel you might be too busy in your real life to meet the posting requirement, there is the option to contact the Vice Delegate and request a leave of absence. This means you would be allowed to bypass the posting requirement for a limited amount of time.

If instead your citizenship was removed on security grounds, you have a right to appeal the decision to the Assembly. Your citizenship will be restored if there is a 60% vote to overturn the removal. You should know though that security removals are exceedingly rare, and there has only been one in the entire thirteen-year history of this region.

WHY DO I NEED TO POST TWICE IN ONE MONTH?

This is merely a matter of pragmatism. If you have not logged in for the past month or fail to post regularly, that is generally an indication that you are not actually participating in the region. While there is nothing wrong with that, it does stand to reason that your citizenship should be lost, so the roster reflects those citizens who are actually active.

If for any reason you happen to lose your citizenship, you are more than welcome to reapply. There is no penalty for having lost your citizenship due to inactivity, and chances are everyone will be very warm and welcoming, no matter how many times you have gone inactive and returned.

WHAT DO I DO AFTER BECOMING A CITIZEN?

As was said previously, there is very little that you can do as a citizen that was not previously available. With that in mind, here are some recommendations, most of which apply to residents as well: WHAT IF I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS?

If you have more questions, it would be best to start a thread in the Welcome and Registration Centre, where you can get responses from our citizens. This game is played overwhelmingly in English, but if you would rather ask some questions in other languages, just to better understand how to play, feel free to post in your native language. There is a good chance someone around here speaks it and will be able to help you.

Welcome to the South Pacific!
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I, The Union of Free Individuals, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: The Union of Free Individuals
All past and present regions/organizations in which I have been or am associated with: I maintain no ties to any other Regions or Organizations.

The Union of Free Individuals.
"Liberty is the Gate and the Key to Prosperity"
My threads:
Philosophers Corner
The Ice-creamist Movement for Peaceful Unification of Desserts

(04-01-2014, 02:56 AM)The Union of Free Individuals Wrote: I, The Union of Free Individuals, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: The Union of Free Individuals
All past and present regions/organizations in which I have been or am associated with: I maintain no ties to any other Regions or Organizations.

The Union of Free Individuals.

I'm glad to say you are the first citizen in the new forums. Welcome to the South Pacific!
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

I, Thirteen United Provinces, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: none
All past and present regions/organisations in which I have been or am associated with: none

Thirteen United Provinces

(04-01-2014, 05:16 AM)Massa191 Wrote: I, Thirteen United Provinces, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: none
All past and present regions/organisations in which I have been or am associated with: none

Thirteen United Provinces

Accepted. Welcome to the South Pacific!

Legal Resources:

I, Despicably Devious Defiant Kooky Koopers, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: NA
All past and present regions/organizations in which I have been or am associated with: I have no ties to any other Regions or Organizations.

(04-01-2014, 12:14 PM)d3kooky Wrote: I, Despicably Devious Defiant Kooky Koopers, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: NA
All past and present regions/organizations in which I have been or am associated with: I have no ties to any other Regions or Organizations.

Accepted. Welcome to the South Pacific! Smile

Legal Resources:

I, God-Emperor, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: The Second Imperium
All past and present regions/organisations in which I have been or am associated with: Really?
(Present)
Private, The East Pacific Sovereign Army (EPSA)
Journalist, The East Pacific News Service (EPNS)
The East Pacific High Commissioner To The West Pacific
The East Pacific Ambassador To The New Inquisition
Member, The Holy Grand Assembly Of The West
(Past) The South Pacific...Oh, please just ask someone.

I, Xano, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific (again...)
WA Nation: Xano
Present regions /organisations affiliated with: TSP
Hi-Tech new forums are... AWESOME!!!

I, American Republic of Independent States, do accept the terms and provisions of the Charter of the South Pacific
World Assembly Nation: American Republic of Independent States
All past and present regions/organisations in which I have been or am associated with: TSP