We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

ISIS/Wars in Iraq and Syria

Well, it's been more than four years since the conflict started. In this conflict, we have three factions: the Assad regime, IS, and the Opposition, the last of which are not really on the same page. Throughout this conflict, I am supporting the Kurds, who now have to fight of Turkish fighter jets. The conflict in three words: a big mess. So, what do you make of the conflict?
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

Although Assad's regime is oppressive, I think we should side with him to end ISIS in Syria.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

What's best for Syria is to put the Opposition in power. Assad and his father have been in power since 1971. He must resign.

My History

But if we support the Opposition, our chances at beating ISIS in Syria are pretty much f*cked. Some of them are even known to defect to ISIS.

Even though Assad is our worst choice, he's also our best choice. Know what Im saying?

Ooh, I know! Why don't Assad and the opposition work together? Then, after ISIS is defeated, they can go back to fight again!
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

They are not going to work together. Sectarian violence is widespread throughout the Middle East, including Syria.

My History

(09-22-2015, 05:17 PM)Ryccia Wrote: Even though Assad is our worst choice, he's also our best choice. Know what Im saying?

No, I don't. Please do explain.

Quote:Ooh, I know! Why don't Assad and the opposition work together? Then, after ISIS is defeated, they can go back to fight again!
That's not how it works, Ryccia.
"The enemy of my enemy is still my enemy."

<33

1. The Assad regime has the Syrian Military and is more stable than the opposition. The opposition, however... some defect to ISIS... as Qvait said, not all of them are in the same page...

2. It could be something similar to what the Kuomintang and the CCP did during the Second Sino-Japanese War and subsequent WW2.

(09-22-2015, 05:51 PM)Ryccia Wrote: The Assad regime has the Syrian Military and is more stable than the opposition.

I'm not so sure about it being more stable. If it was stable, there wouldn't have been a civil war in the first place.

My History

If it were against only ISIS, then it would be okay...

But when you have USA and its allies against you, sanctioning you, funding a side and the other attacks you too...

Well...

Due to the Russian build up, it might as well become a proxy war between the United States and Russia.

My History