We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Issue XI

TOP STORY: TSP GOES BACK TO THE FUTURE
Ministry of Regional Affairs organises Back to the Future Festival

[Image: N2vmKtF.jpg?1]

Marty McFly and Doc Brown when they arrived at the South Pacific

South Pacificans donned their lampshades this week for the arrival of Marty McFly and Doctor Emmett Brown on October 21, the day they were supposed to arrive at the future. Celebrations have been ongoing as part of a Back to the Future Festival organised by the Ministry of Regional Affairs, simultaneously with the Spirit of Adventure Festival jointly hosted with Albion.

A special subforum was created and placed at the top of the index page, containing several forum games and activities related to the classic trilogy. These activities have include the sharing of links and videos related to the trilogy, including a trailer of Jaws 19 by Universal Pictures, and alternate history scenarios based on the regional roleplay.

In addition to these, a nation was created by the Ministry and will serve as a time capsule. Residents have been encouraged to send telegrams to it before it ceases to exist, after the usual 28 days of inactivity. It is set to be revived on 21 October 2017, when all telegrams it received will be released to the public.

While no official announcement has been made, sources close to the Ministry of Regional Affairs say that another festival will be held for Halloween. It is unclear what activities that festival will include or whether it will be held individually or with an ally.

Great Council extended by Chair Farengeto
Farengeto has motioned to extend the duration of the Council

[Image: ddOinw8.jpg?1]

Farengeto sitting on his Chair

Chair of the Assembly Farengeto motioned earlier today for an extension to the submissions period of the Great Council, citing a general lack of activity within it. In compliance with the Great Council Organising Act, the submissions period was set to finish tomorrow, after which nobody would have been allowed to submit further proposals for consideration.

Currently debate has centered on proposals to reform the structure of the High Court and enhancing the powers of the Local Council, though discussion in both and other subjects has been much less active in comparison to the previous Great Council. Other minor discussions involve two proposals by Hileville to remove the Chair of the Assembly from the Cabinet and to allow the Delegate to appoint his Cabinet, and a proposal by Sandaoguo to legislate the powers of the Delegate to appoint Regional Officers.

Originally the Great Council was set to begin voting on proposals on October 29. With the extension requested by Farengeto, voting will now begin on November 5, with most votes expected to finish five days later, which is the required time for Charter amendments.

What is the Great Council?

Great Councils are constitutional conventions where citizens can discuss wide-ranging changes to the Charter and the Code of Laws, the two basic legal documents in the South Pacific. Legally they can be convened by any citizen at any time of their choosing, provided that at least six months have passed since the previous one. Traditionally, Great Councils have only been convened with consensus from the community or at least from the more active citizens.

It was first convened in 2003 by Slackervania, following negotiations with longtime government opponent Casalanario, though at the time there was no legal provision on the matter. A Great Council was most recently convened in February 2015 by then-Delegate Tsunamy to discuss the implementation of mechanisms for greater gameside integration.

Hammerstar promoted to Depite
Minister of the Army proposed Hammerstar to Deputy Minister

[Image: xy3zTNI.png?1]

Logo of the South Pacific Special Forces

On October 12 Minister of the Army Siberian announced the promotions of Alisa and Hammerstar within the internal rank structure of the Special Forces. In promoting Alisa to Solda Met or Master Soldier, Siberian praised her willingness to quickly respond to missions and her abilities as timekeeper and updater.

However, the highest promotion went to Hammerstar, who was promoted to Depite or Deputy Minister, making him the second highest ranking soldier after Siberian himself. In his congratulatory message, the Minister praised Hammerstar for his attitude towards military gameplay, saying he was the first to respond in any mission and had even organised a few of them himself.

In accordance with the Charter, the promotion gave Hammerstar the right to sit on Cabinet meetings, though voting remains a right exclusive to its elected members.

Were we Tsu-Pen-dous?
Analysing the Tsunamy Administration based on the results of the Government Approval Surveys.

[Image: IbAs3Wk.jpg?1]

Sandaoguo is the second longest serving Minister of Foreign Affairs in the South Pacific

Tsunamy was originally elected Delegate of the South Pacific on the promise of making the region tsu-pen-dous, a bold claim that placed a huge amount of responsibility on his shoulders and implied he would have a personal hand in the improvement of South Pacifican culture and society. Throughout his two terms, the Southern Journal conducted several surveys that measured public perception on his administration and the performance of other government officials.

While two months have already passed since Tsunamy left the delegacy, the results from all these surveys are useful as a way of seeing how the public perceived his tenure and whether he succeeded in his primary aim of making the region tsu-pen-dous. We are now releasing the results of these surveys as a six-part series, with each part containing analysis on one Cabinet member during Tsunamy's second term. We hope this will shed some light and encourage debate about an important period in our recent history.

PART 4: SANDAOGUO

Sandaoguo returned to the Cabinet after a very heated election that made its way to the High Court. He ran on a platform to focus foreign policy on the cultural development of the South Pacific and seek out alliancces on the basis of cultural compatibility, rather than military alignment. Wolf opposed his candidacy under a promise to take the South Pacific back to an independent alignment and to seek out both defender and raider allies. Initially the election resulted in a tie, but a runoff election benefited Sandaoguo.

He was included in all three monthly surveys, consistently receiving the lowest approval ratings from all members of the Cabinet. He did not receive any Excellent ratings, the tendency throughout the term being towards a decrease in his Regular ratings, from 34% to 12%, while his Terrible and Lacks Visibility rising from 0% to 24% and from 34% to 41%, respectively.

Sandaoguo already had a preceding reputation, which had additionally been at least partially tarnished by the extremely politicised outcome of the election. It is because of this that his very first survey result left him the lowest ranked Minister even when there had not been much time for him to perform his job. Comments from participants help us understand why that negative perception became more pronounced in the following months:

"Lots of things going on outside TSP and TSP has no presence in any of it"

"Sandaoguo is an idealist, which is a good thing, but, he does not know when to compromise. He needs to understand that compromising with the Army and Foreign Regions are the same thing, and he needs to be more open to ideas, instead of sticking to his guns."

"He's doing something right if he keeps being re-elected."

"Little on the outside has been shown. He hasn't even been following through with his campaign promises."

"has he done anything other than fight with Wolf in virtually every thread? no info at all from MoFA and hasn't proceeded with any of campaign platforms"

"I struggle to identify much in terms of activity from the MoFA."

"Realizing the MoFA position isn't supposed to be the most visual, updates would be nice to see."

Some comments criticise his attitude during the election and his broader attitude towards politics in government, particularly his principled stances in debates like the appointment of Generals with whom he did not agree. However, we have to acknowledge that most comments aim at a lack of apparent activity and his failure to follow through with campaign promises, rather than his personal politics.

A recurrent theme within his late ministership and the subsequent July election were external communication, with several citizens and fellow candidate Hileville stressing the need to keep the citizenry updated on what the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is doing. In that sense, the worsening ratings might well express frustration with the lack of updates and external communication from Sandaoguo, especially in comparison with the visible activities of the Ministry of Regional Affairs and the roleplayed reports of the Special Forces.

It has to be clarified that this analysis is merely of the public perception on Sandaoguo, not on his actual job performance. In his condition as longest serving Minister of Foreign Affairs in South Pacifican history, he certainly dealt with several situations and had a lasting influence in foreign policy. However, his latest term was coldly received by citizens, who had a less than favourable view of how he was handling his ministry.

PART 5: PROFESSORHENN will be published in the next issue!

Technical Data: Data was taken from four surveys conducted on February, April, May and June 2015. Residents of the South Pacific were the sample. Raw data may be provided upon request.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

"Farengeto sitting on his Chair"

I can't sit on the chair, I am the Chair you fool. Tounge

Jokes aside, another good issue as usual.

I thought you were just a cover, and the chair was the real Chair?
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(10-26-2015, 12:56 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I thought you were just a cover, and the chair was the real Chair?

Nah, I assimilated the Chair a year ago.

Poor Chair!

Legal Resources:

I'm not sure what was happening in NS at the time that TSP wasn't involved in. My last term was inactive because Gameplay was inactive.

But hey, I've never really placed much importance on being universally liked. I revel in being controversial, because that means my actions actually have consequence and mean something. My tenure as minister oversaw the most radical change in TSP's alignment and foreign policy in years. I'm proud of that. And not to toot my own horn too much, but I also left my mark on the whole NS gameplay community. TSP went from a backwater controlled by imperialists to an actually independent region with our own agency. We mattered, because we had people at the helm who weren't afraid to dive into the deep end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to write that article based on the results from the survey, which were not that kind on your latest term. Personally, I think you are one of the best Foreign Ministers we have had, though your 2014 tenure was much more effective and consequential, mostly due to the regional and interregional context.

One thing that definitely is true is that not always will there be something going on, or sometimes the stuff that happens has to remain classified, meaning Foreign Affairs will always have a lack of communication regarding some of its recent actions and projects. I do think it is a shame some of your ideas could not be implemented in the past term. You certainly had the right ideas.

Legal Resources:

Oh dear god, it's my turn next time. . .

Like always, a great issue! 1000000000% Ryccia approved! Again!(Idk how many zeros this one has)

However, didn't Hammers resign or something? He's not Deputy anymore.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

(10-26-2015, 07:22 AM)Ryccia Wrote: However, didn't Hammers resign or something? He's not Deputy anymore.

They didn't, and they still are.