We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Chair of the Assembly Candidate Interview

Chair of the Assembly Candidate Interview
Legal Reform | Integration | Civility

Sam111 is a former Vice Delegate. He is the sole candidate for Chair of the Assembly and agreed to sit down with the Southern Journal to answer a few questions about his candidacy and his goal of making the Assembly more civil and accessible to newcomers.

Welcome Sam. I appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks for having me.

I want to start with something that was largely absent from your campaign. You did not promise an overarching legal reform, unlike previous candidates. Was there a specific reason for that?

I don't believe it is something that you need to be in this position to do. I'd prefer to concentrate on things that I believe are the CoA's sole responsibility to do.

You did make a reference to changing the way Great Councils work. Was that in response to the recent Council? And what kind of reform do you envision?

It was in response to the lack of success with the recent Great Council. I would like to conduct a review on them and look at reforming them to something that will actually work. I see them possibly being more of a constitutional convention.

What would be different, compared to the current scheme?

Probably more actually looking at the laws and discussing them, less just looking at individual bills.

Going back to your earlier answer. What do you believe are some of the Chair's core responsibilities?

I feel like the chair is there mostly to guide the assembly, not to single-handedly undertake massive reforms. To moderate and bring improvements, but not unilaterally.

that involve guiding newcomers who wish to get involved in the Assembly?

Yes it does, mainly with the use of the new "Assembly Mentors" program I'd like to get up and running.

Could you expand on that Assembly Mentors proposal?

I would like to get a few people together who would be there to assist people with things like law making and to help them find their feet in the assembly. These mentors would work 1 on 1 with people, as well as also giving lectures about different aspects of the assembly.

One promise that several past candidates have make is to make the Assembly more civil and friendlier to newcomers. How much of a problem would you say that is today?

I believe it is still quite a large problem today. When you've got anyone, regardless of who they are, who is afraid, or unwilling, to take part in the assembly because of other people's actions, it's a large problem.

What steps do you think you, as Chair, could take to revert that situation?

This is a really tough situation. I need to make sure the assembly is well moderated, which will hopefully keep toxicity to a lower level. Possibly implemented awards for people, to encourage friendly participation.

Whether it is a direct insult or a unbecoming treatment of a fellow citizen, how exactly would you moderate debate in the Assembly?

The removal of offending posts, or parts of posts. Warning and discussing it with the person/people responsible, because sometimes people may not actually realise what they've done.

Thanks for taking the time, Sam.

Thanks for having me.

Disclaimer: This transcript has been edited for orthography and clarity in the flow of the conversation. While some words may have slightly different spelling and some interventions may have been placed in different order, the core content of the conversation has not been altered. A raw copy of the transcript may be provided upon request.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System