We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Some things I feel like should be said but...

I'm not sure I'm the right person to say them, nor am I sure this is the right place for this topic, but here we go anyway:

Don't delude yourselves into thinking that because this is over that you can just carry on how you were. Don't think that just because you "won" that you don't have significant, almost crippling problems.

Don't let fondness of what you have blind you from what you could. People on both sides (and forums) made excellent points about a lot of things and you should take into account all of them, and not casually dismiss them because "oh its just Todd" or "what does Cormac know anyway".

And most importantly: stop making admin political. That isn't the cause of your issues but its the most damaging symptom. You've gained a reputation, rightly or wrongly, for being a toxic pit of petty factions playing off against each other, as bad as or even worse than the dying days of the Kemetic Republic of Osiris, or even the early days of Balder, where the imperialist-defender conflict that you suffered through also took place (although with a decidedly different result).

TSP does not belong to one group or one ideology. Back in the old days (wow I sound old. Maybe like 2011-12, I'm bad with time), this place was known for being really chill. That was a good thing. Go back to that.

Or go to something else. But don't take this victory as a sign that staying as you are would be a good idea. 

Also maybe just let this whole thing go? I know, I know, rule of law, set an example, blah blah blah. It might make some of you feel better or even just vindicated to put the former cabinet on trial or to banish them etc etc, but take a minute to think about the health of your OOC community.

(02-02-2016, 04:46 PM)The Maddest of Jacks Wrote: I'm not sure I'm the right person to say them, nor am I sure this is the right place for this topic, but here we go anyway:

Don't delude yourselves into thinking that because this is over that you can just carry on how you were. Don't think that just because you "won" that you don't have significant, almost crippling problems.

Don't let fondness of what you have blind you from what you could. People on both sides (and forums) made excellent points about a lot of things and you should take into account all of them, and not casually dismiss them because "oh its just Todd" or "what does Cormac know anyway".

And most importantly: stop making admin political. That isn't the cause of your issues but its the most damaging symptom. You've gained a reputation, rightly or wrongly, for being a toxic pit of petty factions playing off against each other, as bad as or even worse than the dying days of the Kemetic Republic of Osiris, or even the early days of Balder, where the imperialist-defender conflict that you suffered through also took place (although with a decidedly different result).

TSP does not belong to one group or one ideology. Back in the old days (wow I sound old. Maybe like 2011-12, I'm bad with time), this place was known for being really chill. That was a good thing. Go back to that.

Or go to something else. But don't take this victory as a sign that staying as you are would be a good idea. 

Also maybe just let this whole thing go? I know, I know, rule of law, set an example, blah blah blah. It might make some of you feel better or even just vindicated to put the former cabinet on trial or to banish them etc etc, but take a minute to think about the health of your OOC community.
Yeah all of this, especially the part about belonging to a group or ideology 
It's a game, don't take this shit too seriously.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm thinking this opened a lot of our eyes.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

What MadJack said

I agree with MadJack on all points, especially when it comes to the importance of stopping the politicization of admin. It is definitely one of the most damaging "symptoms", as he put it.
Heart [insert fancy Latin motto here] Heart

Well it seems this was totally ignored.

Yup.

It was ignored because it's easier for a lot of us to pretend like there doesn't have to be a winner or a loser, because this isn't all about political rivalry and personal animosity, but an objective issue with our laws or something.

It would've been better had we not done "reconciliation" in the first place. We can either be a homogenous region, where there isn't severe disagreement and unity can be a thing, or a heterogenous region where there are real intractable differences. The former requires more willingness to use a stronger hand in shaping who the community is (aka stricter citizenship laws and kicking people out), while the latter requires embracing divisions and not trying to enforce a fake unity through respectability politics.

Too many people are denial about this. They want the heterogeneity and the unity all at once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(03-05-2016, 06:05 PM)sandaoguo Wrote: It was ignored because it's easier for a lot of us to pretend like there doesn't have to be a winner or a loser, because this isn't all about political rivalry and personal animosity, but an objective issue with our laws or something.

It would've been better had we not done "reconciliation" in the first place. We can either be a homogenous region, where there isn't severe disagreement and unity can be a thing, or a heterogenous region where there are real intractable differences. The former requires more willingness to use a stronger hand in shaping who the community is (aka stricter citizenship laws and kicking people out), while the latter requires embracing divisions and not trying to enforce a fake unity through respectability politics.

Too many people are denial about this. They want the heterogeneity and the unity all at once.

You, sir, are a spiteful individual who wants nothing more than to benefit from a situation you yourself are one of the root causes of.

Are you serious suggesting that we ban all those who opposed your viewpoint during The Crisis? Even more offensive to the senses, are you actually suggesting that there were really winners in all this?

The whole region lost, and this is undeniable. The best we can hope for is to learn what caused this and how to avoid it in the future. You know what isn't helpful? A massive purge of the opposition.

Glen, in your cry for vengeance, how are you any better than those who kicked you during The Crisis? How can you claim to hold the position of moral superiority when you seek to do the exact same thing?

I'm glad Cormac is able to offer differing opinions on several issues without being a constant source of negativity. I know we have our differences, but I really respect him for trying to be reasonable and engaging others in good faith. That is the kind of discourse we need in our government.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System