We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Appointment of a Deputy Minister for World Assembly Affairs

I'd like to petition the Cabinet to create the office of Deputy Minister for World Assembly Affairs.

Presumably this position would fall within the scope of the Office of the Delegate and Vice Delegate. Although the Charter doesn't make any explicit reference to the World Assembly outside of requirements for citizenship and certain government positions, it is the Delegate who ultimately votes on World Assembly resolutions.

This position would have the following responsibilities:
  • creating threads on these forums (specifically the World Assembly sub-forums) for resolutions at vote and optionally proposals that have reached quorum;
  • conducting polls of residents of the South Pacific on resolutions at vote on the corresponding thread and optionally through in-game polls;
  • providing advisory opinions on how residents of the South Pacific should vote on resolutions on the corresponding thread and optionally on the regional message board or by regional telegram;
  • including links to the WA resolutions at vote and the corresponding threads in the World Factbook Entry;
  • providing proposal drafting assistance to residents of the South Pacific; and
  • optionally spearheading development of proposals collaboratively drafted by the South Pacific.
In order to fulfill these responsibilities, the holder of this position would be granted the following privileges:
  • moderation powers over the World Assembly sub-forums;
  • the ability to create in-game polls; and
  • the ability to send regional telegrams and edit the World Factbook Entry.
I think creating such a position would be an excellent first step towards fostering greater involvement by residents of the South Pacific in the World Assembly, especially given that both Tsunamy and Drugged Monkeys have stated that they don't have any plans to work on this during their term. We'd also be following the excellent example of many other major regions with significant WA involvement, such as the North Pacific and Europeia.

I think this is an excellent idea Railana!
Any ideas who we might appoint?! Wink
I would like to involved with this as far as setting up the regional polls that will be needed.
Semi-Unretired

Well, I wouldn't mind doing it. Wink

I've previously held an analogous position in Lazarus, and I've had my share of GA (and even some SC) experience.

A couple of other possible responsibilities I initially didn't mention in the OP:
  • including links to the resolutions currently at vote in the WFE
  • sending region-wide telegrams informing members about WA resolutions at vote, though this might occur too frequently and become spammy

I think this is a really cool idea. Thanks for coming forward with it! Smile
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.

(02-23-2016, 09:27 PM)HEM Wrote: I think this is a really cool idea. Thanks for coming forward with it! Smile

Doesn't Europeia do something analogous as well?

This is pretty good.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

So, has the Cabinet (besides Drugged Monkeys) given this any thought?

(02-27-2016, 10:56 AM)Railana Wrote: So, has the Cabinet (besides Drugged Monkeys) given this any thought?

The Cabinet is currently discussing this. While the Cabinet is in favour of this proposal, there are some legal technicalities that we need to sort out.

(02-23-2016, 09:47 PM)Railana Wrote:
(02-23-2016, 09:27 PM)HEM Wrote: I think this is a really cool idea. Thanks for coming forward with it! Smile

Doesn't Europeia do something analogous as well?

Similar, actually. We have a World Assembly Ministry that has several deputies and officials who help engage people with the WA. Our Delegate is not our Head of Government, so they also have more free time to do such things.
Formerly Relevant, Currently Former.