We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

What makes a good Chair of Assembly?

I'd love to see what you all think about this. What should be the requirements of a CoA, and what would make a CoA a good CoA?
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Bearing in mind that my understanding of how everything works around here is in its infancy to say the least, but in all other circumstances a good chair has the following characteristics at the very least:

- Ability to keep discussion on topic, redirecting it to the point as necessary, forcibly if needed.
- Ability to remain impartial during discussions, so as to facilitate them and not to participate in them or use their position to grandstand.
- Ability to bring disputes under control and not to escalate them.
- Organisational ability to ensure that any discussion results in action, if necessary, or is kept brief if no action is necessary.

Okay, that's all I can think of right now, but I am being distracted by my daughter refusing to eat her dinner, so...
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks Smile

I'd add a good command of the english language in written form.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Yes, and sensitivity to how the tone of their language might be perceived would be especially important in a text-only chair.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I agree with what Seraph has said thus far, except that I'd let discussions sink naturally instead of forcing discussions to be brief. But yes, I agree that the Chair has a responsibility to foster discussions on meaningful legislation or fresh ideas that would benefit the South Pacific.

Above all, the Chair has to prioritise its administrative role, to ensure the flow, the continuation of the democratic process, and in time to time, the admission of Legislators to the Assembly.