We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Issue XV

TOP STORY: TWO DRAFTS REMAINING AS GREAT COUNCIL APPROACHES VOTING PHASE
by Roavin

[Image: oxuIHBA.jpg]

Sandaoguo’s working group preparing their draft

Two full drafts of the entire set of laws continue to be debated by citizens. Delegate and Chair of the Great Council Tsunamy presented his draft on April 28th, with Sandaoguo presenting another draft by an as yet unnamed working group a mere 23 hours later.

Discussions remain about the in-game endorsement and influence requirements of officers for eligibility in the respective draft’s security institutions. The Tsumamy draft eschews explicit requirements further than World Assembly membership, while the working group draft sets strict numeric bounds for entry into and maintenance of a security officer position.

Both drafts address many of the previously agreed upon broad solutions in very similar ways, among them eliminating the concept of citizenship in favor of legislator status, introducing a new Prime Minister position to replace the Delegate’s government duties, and electing the Delegate via a gameside poll.

Differences between the drafts include the recall procedure for administrators, with the Tsunamy draft proposing an Assembly vote, while Sandaoguo and his working group prefer that the Court prove abuse of power allegations. Furthermore, Tsunamy’s draft proposes that bills affecting the gameside region must additionally be voted upon by a regional poll. The working group has instead proposed a weighted vote of 20% by a Local Council representative on any bill being voted upon in the Assembly.

The nascent party Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition (APC) had proposed the first draft to the Great Council on April 24th, but has since retracted it. Its Chair Omega stated that “both remaining drafts are high quality and would serve our region”, but later endorsed Tsunamy's draft.

Voting is tentatively slated to begin on May 20th.

Interview with Tsunamy and Sandaoguo

The Southern Journal sat down with Tsunamy and Sandaoguo, the authors of the two drafts of laws currently being debated in the Great Council. Tsunamy is no stranger to this region, having joined in early 2003, and currently serving his third non-consecutive term as Delegate. Sandaoguo joined the region in 2013 and has since served as Chair of the Assembly, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Justice.

What motivated you to write a draft for the Great Council?

Tsunamy: When I drafted my version, we only has one proposal, so I thought it would be productive to have more voices in the process.

Sandaoguo: Rewriting our laws has been a side project of mine for a while now, prior to the Great Council. I've felt that our laws are disorganized and poorly formatted, despite the stated effort by former governments to write laws that were easily understandable. I've always thought Europeia had the most well organized and best formatted laws in the game, and that provided a lot of inspiration. As for direct motivation, though, it's really important to me that the the new laws have a lot of input from people who didn't see it 'right' to coup the region. We had fought against a coup and won (against all odds) thanks to some high-level defections. So the idea of coup participants leading the rewriting of our laws really bothered me, and it was a big possibility that would happen. Not that they couldn't have some good ideas-- but that I felt it was fundamentally wrong to let that happen. So I sat down and started writing, thinking that my efforts probably wouldn't pay off, but it was worth the shot. I didn't write with the mindset of punishing anybody, though. It's always been about creating a better government, which is something I've been arguing for a long time now.

Did you collaborate with anybody else?

Tsunamy: Nope — just me.

Sandaoguo: Yes. Early drafts included many people I no longer remember. The core draft presented was written largely by myself and Roavin, with contributions and ideas from several other players.

The current drafts vary wildly in their approaches, from a conservative modification of existing laws to a rewrite and reformatting of all laws. What made you choose that particular approach?

Tsunamy: Well, frankly, I don't believe we needed a drastic overall and that tweaks could fix the major problems. We have this idea as a region that we need wild, sweeping changes and that's rarely the answer. And, it's certainly not the recipe for stability in the region.

Sandaoguo: I think the status quo clearly didn't work. It led to stagnation, gridlock, feelings of resentment, and finally a coup. I want to completely upend the traditions and customs of TSP, so that we can forge a new era. That can't be done with mere edits here and there to the existing laws. I hope we go even further after the Great Council, too!

On the topic of separation of powers, the Great Council decided to separate the Delegate from the role as head of the government. This is reflected in all three drafts. How do you see the former duties of the Delegate split up between the Delegate and the Prime Minister/Chancellor in practice?

Tsunamy: Personally, I see most of the day-to-day governmental activities run by the PM with the delegate dealing with activity and other in-game issues.

Sandaoguo: In practice, I think the Delegate will almost always be somebody who has more connection to the RMB than to the forum. That will be the litmus test. With that reality, I didn't want to grant the Delegate too much power over the forum community. I firmly believe we are two separate communities, with vast differences in interests, culture, and wants. While we can build bridges, it's a mistake to try to merge everything together into a seamless unit. The Delegate should preside over the RMB, and the Prime Minister over the forum. Because of the game position's role, the Delegate must be involved in security aspects of the region, though.

In the future, do you see the Cabinet continue as a collective decision-making body?

Tsunamy: I imagine it will be and I think a lot of the region wants it that way.

Sandaoguo: This has always been a contention in our system. The Cabinet member are elected separately, and can be elected based on different and opposing platforms. In the past year, we've had more of those Cabinets than ones that are all on the same page. I don't think switching to the Prime Minister system will change that, really. The role of the Cabinet is largely the same as it was before. This is an issue that we'll have to fix sooner or later, but the appetite for the real fixes (like appointed Cabinets or doing away with the Cabinet system altogether) isn't there yet.

Incorporating game-side opinion, another Great Council topic, is addressed quite differently across the drafts. What is your approach, and why is it better than the other approaches?

Tsunamy: My draft was to include parts that the in-game active nations would use without throwing too much at them. Having a say over the delegate is the most important part of the game for them — the suppressing of posts and helping keep the RMB active and engaged.

I'm ecstatic that other plans have additional abilities for the RMB-active nations. I've long been an advocate for greater say and I'd be happy with my plan or the Working Group's Plan. Both give a greatly say to the in-game nations.

Sandaoguo: My approach is devolution. Following my belief that we're two separate communities, I think it's better to devolve issues to the RMB community when those issues are largely about them. I'm greatly opposed to bicameral systems, or even a grand legislature idea, where the RMB community has a veto over laws passed on the forum. While others see that as an ideal way to include the RMB, I see that as forcing one of the two communities to assimilate into the other.

Having survived a coup attempt in the region just a few months ago, regional security is a concern among citizens. The Great Council promises to deliver changes to this effect. What do you foresee as necessary steps to keep the Coalition secure, not just during, but also beyond, the Great Council?

Tsunamy: We really need to broaden the amount of people involved. In my draft, I delineated that seven to 10 nations would be in the CSS with the idea of building greater endorsements and influence for more nations.

Sandaoguo: I think we need to start taking the security institutions seriously. If somebody doesn't have the chops, we shouldn't add them just because they're likable or they have gameside connections, or whatever. I also think anybody who has participated in a coup cannot possibly be trusted to fight against one in the future. We need people who believe in the fabric of their being that no coup is ever justified, and have the judgement necessary to prevent and fight against them. In my Charter, as well, the CRS is given the power necessary to actually fight. In Hileville and the rogue Cabinet's coup, the CSS lacked the legal tools allowing it to fight effectively.

What is one thing that one of the other drafts does extremely well in your opinion?

Tsunamy: I think the Working Group's Draft did a great job of rethinking the entire governmental structure and included many points discussed in the Great Council.

Sandaoguo: I appreciate that Tsu's draft splits the laws up.

What is the one thing people should know about your draft? What makes it awesome?

Tsunamy: I think my draft is useful since it really is all that different than what we're using now. We won't have to fight many of the same battles and feel out the laws since we've already done a lot of it. Again, since my draft is tinkering rather than radical change, we won't all be learning a whole new government and can use many things we've already litigated.  

Sandaoguo: Well, I think the draft I posted is very well thought out. It introduces an entirely new system of government, and fixes many of the issues we've had in the past. I also think it's pretty, haha Tounge

Finally, the most important question: Cake or Pie?

Tsunamy: Cake ... of course.

Sandaoguo: Pie <3

Thank you for your time!

ROLEPLAY - Farengeto Civil War: Country divided
by Ryccia

[Image: OTVUknn.png?1]

In blue areas controlled by Reyist forces. In red forces where rebels forces or sympathisers are active.

Farengeto City, Farengeto - War has broken out in Farengeto.

Opposing the government of President Maximilien Rey are the Parliamentary Coalition and the Free Farengeto Alliance. Led by former Prime Minister Christopher Tatham and former President Percy Larue, both groups accuse President Rey of being an authoritarian ruler and of trying to increase his powers to the point that he would be a dictator. In turn, Reyists accuse both of wanting to topple the legitimate government to increase their own power.

Other factions also fighting Rey are the Communist Party of Farengeto, allegedly supported by Bruuma and Puerto Pollo, the Cephio Nationalists, various groups that demand the independence of the Cephio Islands, and the Nouvelle Alliance, a fascist group led by the imprisoned Murphy Lévêque.

The Federal Union and Ryccia originally supported the Parliamentary Coalition, but after the bombing of the Farengeto Parliament building and subsequent breakout of hostilities, both have stayed neutral. Bruuma allegedly supports the Communist Party, and Kringalia is believed to support President Rey. However, there have been no official statements from nearby governments as to who they might support.

Feelin' the Sern
by Kringalia

[Image: s3vDUnN.jpg?1]

Sernie Banders addressing the Cake Workers Association

Government Island. In a move that suddenly and unexpectedly broke the unspoken truce between supporters of cake and pie, renowned city councillor Sernie Banders has taken up the mantle of the cakeist cause, denouncing the monopolistic behaviour of the cake factories and calling for all South Pacificans to have a fair chance of eating the dessert of their choice.

At an improvised rally on the historical Arembee Square, Banders said no cake factory should be too big to fail, promising to bake them up and bring upon a dessert revolution. In further exchanges with those present, he said that the pieletariat was controlling the cake industry for its own benefit, to the denutrition of the region.

He closed his speech with the following call:

Let’s send a message to those in Government Island that enough is enough! We need a dessert revolution in this region, where the people, not the pieletariat or the factory owners, decide what desserts we can eat and how much we can eat. With your support, we will transform this region and make it its best.

Banders was constantly interrupted by opposing claims from pie supporters. A pieist named Dark Strait said Mr Banders was no friend of the pieletariat, while an individual who simply identified as a seller of pencil sharpeners claimed cake supporters were violent and elitist. However, the city councillor remained undeterred, and criticised the pieletariat for preventing the South Pacific from “being the only major region not to guarantee equal access to desserts”.

It remains unclear whether Mr Banders will make further appearances, to gather support for anti-pieletarian measures at the City Council.

OPINION: Rebuilding Democracy
by Belschaft

For over thirteen years, The Coalition of The South Pacific has prided itself on being the oldest and greatest democracy in NationStates. More open, more transparent, more willing to accept new ideas, new leadership, dedicated to empowering the in game region to the greatest extent possible. Since the introduction of regional polls we have all possessed the ability to directly transfer elective and legislative power to the in game region in a secure and democratic manner, yet no major region in NationStates has been willing to do so; once again NationStates oldest democracy will lead the way. It is now certain that as a result of the Great Council currently being conducted by TSP’s Assembly every single WA Nation in The South Pacific will be directly enfranchised, granted the right to elect the Delegate of The South Pacific.

This is a major step forward, and one that should be celebrated; it has been a long and hard thought battle to bring us to this point, with numerous political insiders opposed to transferring power away from themselves to the region at large. Particular credit must be given to Delegate Tsunamy, who has been a consistent and prominent voice in support of regional enfranchisement; without his leadership on this issue, we would not be where we are today.

However, we should not be satisfied with “minimalist” reforms, transferring as little power as possible away from government insiders whilst appearing to provide reform. We must continue to demand and campaign for genuine reform, and that means the granting of not only the right to elect the Delegate to regional WA members, but broader enfranchisement including legislative powers. Arguments against such “maximalist” reforms have been presented, but they are fundamentally cynical, anti-democratic and elitist. We have been told that the majority of TSP cannot be trusted to make decisions about its future; that they are ignorant, immature and ill-informed; that they will be susceptible to populist demagoguery. These arguments should be familiar to anyone who has studied the real world suffrage struggles; they were used to oppose granting the vote to women, to non-whites, to the poor. It is an insult to the very principles upon which The Coalition of The South Pacific was founded that such arguments are being made, never mind listened to. The people of TSP should be offended that such arguments have been made to oppose granting them voting rights. We must continue to move forward, in defiance of those cynical voices, and rebuild democracy in The South Pacific; we must demand nothing less than the greatest and most extensive transfer of power to the average player in NationStates history.

I believe that the people of TSP will defy those who think so little of them. They will prove themselves to be more informed, more mature, more invested, than the insiders and elitists think them to be. I believe that once again TSP will rise to the occasion, and prove why it is the oldest and greatest democracy in NationStates.

Disclaimer: this publication is the opinion of its author and does not necessarily reflect the views of the Southern Journal or the Ministry of Regional Affairs.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Let's not kid ourselves. You can't believe in WA lemmings on one hand, then insult those of us who say the same thing about a populist legislature on the other.

There are thousands of players in TSP. It's unreasonable to expect the vast majority to be informed. They have no rational reason to spend time informing themselves, if they aren't interested in forum government and playing the politics game. And yet they will still vote in a poll, and their vote would be easy to sway with TG campaigns. Passing laws would be less about reaching a compromise to get to a majority among highly informed players, and much more about crafting the perfect PR campaign to get uninvolved players to cast their vote in your favor.

That's not belittling. It's reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding how much RMBers even want political involvement, this post is enlightening: http://www.nationstates.net/page=display...#p19238880

We may actually be thrusting politics upon a community that doesn't want it.

We've polled on this topic before, and it was very clearly in favour of greater political power for the in game region.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

No polling has been done on whether the in-game community wants the RMB to be filled with political arguments, though. When you don't include the likely negatives of increased political involvement, you're not getting the whole picture.

Tsu has asked, "Do you want more power?"

He hasn't asked, "Do you want to argue and fight in the RMB over elections and legislative votes?"

It's not as if the RMB is going to be the same once we thrust elections and legislative representation onto them. They'll have to make decisions, and presumably people will disagree about which options to choose.

(05-16-2016, 04:06 PM)Belschaft Wrote: We've polled on this topic before, and it was very clearly in favour of greater political power for the in game region.

When people are given that chance, they will take it. It's just how people work. I can also say that maybe half of the people who voted last time have either moved to another region or CTEd. W the time comes for it to actually happen, none of them are going to want anything to do with it. The only way to give them power is to do polls, and we all know the NS poll system is flawed. The forums have been working and it is really the only way we will be able to conduct political debates. If people don't like it, they just have to suck it up. It isn't really a big deal.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy: