We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Eurovision

Two days ago, a Crimean Tatar known as Jamala, who represented Ukraine, won Eurovision with the song, "1944," which is about the forced deportation of Crimean Tatars to Central Asia by the Soviets for their alleged collaboration with the Nazis. Behind Jamala was Dami Im of Australia and Sergey Lazarev of Russia. Personally, I thought that Australia did better than Ukraine and Russia, but I think that this was a symbolic victory for Ukraine in its effort against its aggressive neighbor to the east. What do you think?

4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I have to be honest. Up until people started talking about this, I hadn't even heard of Eurovision, and (keep in mind this is me being ignorant, rather than any attempt to diminish its value) I don't understand why it's such a big thing.
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

(05-16-2016, 12:10 AM)Kris Kringle Wrote: I have to be honest. Up until people started talking about this, I hadn't even heard of Eurovision, and (keep in mind this is me being ignorant, rather than any attempt to diminish its value) I don't understand why it's such a big thing.

It's the same for me. I found out about this thing not too long ago because the news outlets were covering Russia's outrage over the results of Eurovision.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I only knew about it beforehand because we always seem to go to this person's place every year at the same time and the only decent thing on was this show called Eurovision. I only became half interested last year when Australia got involved.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

This show is incredibly popular in Sweden. Winning it is more or less equivalent to winning the gold medal in hockey in the Olympics. I'm not sure how popular it is in the other countries, but I bet there is no other nation that is so fanatic about it as Sweden.

Anyway, you will see all kinds of performances, of highly questionable quality and the most star packed, from many different genres. Eurovision is supposed to be non-political. Last year, in Austria if I remember correctly, the audience booed to the Russian singer, but it was replaced by cheering by the broadcasters. This year the hosts started with reminding the audience that they all were there for the music only.

While the Ukrainian song was political, it didn't criticise any existing nation or institution, so I guess it's fair. The Russians started to whine and complain immediately after the show, but somehow they forgot that they got more telephone votes than anyone else.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

I was rooting for Australia, just for shits and giggles.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

It's been a long time since I last watched Eurovision. I haven't even heard the UK's (third from last placed) entry. I used to enjoy it, though.

In the UK it's mostly treated as a kind of joke, probably because we're convinced it sing must be the best and nobody else thinks so, but it's more popular than we'd like to admit. Happywide
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Russian viewers apparently rated the Ukrainian song second.
Roleplayer
Manager of the TSP and A1-0 maps
Roleplay moderator

Nations so often vote highly for their neighbours, or for songs in languages they can understand, so that makes sense, even with the political point being in opposition to them.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

How can you have never heard of Eurovision? It's the most watched non-sporting event in the world! Anyway it was a crap song and it was political it shouldn't have won, but please can we stop bigging it up? The US media has made it seem like a massive deal and Europe showed up Russia, when it didn't. Russia won the people's vote, the only reason they didn't win was because it did bad in the Jury vote.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice