We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

SOR IV: Great Council Special Edition

State of the Region IV
Great Council Special Edition

With voting to begin soon we take a look at the proposals and the differences and similarities in them; I'm Omega and this is State of the Region!

In just a few hours voting will begin in the First Great Council of 2016 and before we dive into the proposals let's look at how we go to where we are now. We started with the 2016 TSP Coup, during which Hieville attempted to rewrite the charter and change TSP as we knew it. He eventually failed at this coup attempt, but it did lead to a regional conversation on if we needed a new charter and we decided we did. A procedural resolution to begin the Council had minor controversy on what the Assembally should be able to do during the GC. It was decided that normal business would be suspended, however our Chair of the Assembally could still bring extraordinary business to the Assembly. 

After we had procedure we moved on to finding problems and deciding what they were. 11 problems were found and after a point of order raised by yours truly it was decided that a vote would be held on each problem and any that received 60% in favor of being addressed would move on to getting a solution. 8 problems moved on to the second round and solutions were devised by citizens. These 8 problems were condensed into the following 6 solutions:
Quote:
  • Find some way to better incorporate in-game opinion/activity/governance
  • Would like to separate the government into (at least) a delegate as limited head of state, a Prime Minister as head of the executive branch, a legislature and independent judiciary (which we already have)
  • Addressing citizenship issues, likely by moving to a "legislature" system under the CoA
  • Addressing security by increasing the number of members and giving the branch more power
  • Possibly creating an election commission to oversee elections
  • Finding a way to address moderation/administration
And it was with these 6 proposals in mind that drafting a new Charter began. 

TSP's only political party the Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition (of which I am Chair) was first to propose a charter. However, this charter was retracted by the APC after a statement that stated:

Quote:Effective immediately the APC will retract their proposed charter from the Great Council. We believe that we got discussion started and have helped to further the political discussion in our region. However, we do agree that both remaining drafts are high quality
The APC went on to endorse Tsunamy's draft. 

And that bring us to today, the day before voting. It's time to take an in depth look at the charters remaining. Both have divided up the Delegates role into a ceremonial and security focused Delegate with a government focused Prime Minister. They have also provided that the Regional Message Board will get to vote in the final stage of the Delegate election. In the details there are some discrepancies, Tsu's draft provides that if a candidate gets 50% or more "No Confidence" votes they will not move on no matter how they place (top 3 move on). Sandaoguo however simply has it where the top 2 no matter what move on to the regional poll.
Another thing is that every nation has been granted citizenship for being in TSP, however you must now apply to participate in the Assembally. Now membership is based on votes cast instead of time inactive. Tsu provides that if you miss 3 votes, no matter when they occur you lose legislator status. Sandaoguo Provides that if you miss 2 votes on separate days you lose status.
For regional forum elections an Election Commission has been established with minor differences between the two on who picks who will be in it. Tsu also has a 4 month long term for all government officials in his draft, while Sandaoguo has only a 3 month long term for everyone excluding the Chair of the Assembally, who will serve for 4 months in his draft. And once these officers are in office they can, under both charters, be recalled. I would recommend looking at each on on this as it is a little complicated. 
In the courts very few changes have been made in both drafts. The SPSF has also seen little to no change as has almost all of the Ministries in the region.
Now for the big one: security. Tsu maintains a CSS similar to what we currently have with significantly broader powers in a state of emergency including the ability to remove elected officials. Sandaoguo on the other hand provides that the Council for Regional Security may take any action to defeat a coup d'etat including taking over the entire government. He effectively makes this into a fail safe should a coup ever occur agian.

I hope you have enjoyed this special edition of SOR. I would like to encourage you to read both proposals in full before voting. For SPN I am Omega wishing you a good night.
Editors note: Feel free to comment below! Also if you are interested in joining staff (like Seraph has) just contact me and I would be happy to let you in.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021