We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Brexit

On 23 June, the United Kingdom, although divided, voted to leave the European Union. There have been calls from people in Northern Ireland and Scotland, two countries that voted to remain, to seek independence, the former seeking to reunite with the rest of Ireland. In my opinion, I had preferred the United Kingdom to stay in the European Union, but I am not British, so it was not up to me. Anyone want to offer their opinions. We have some members on this forum who live in the United Kingdom. Perhaps, they can offer their opinions on the matter.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History

I don't really care about it, but apparently it's already having a big and possibly devastating result.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

This is not what I wanted, but, apart from the close nature of the result, was very much what I expected. I think I'm still in shock a bit, though and the sight of the pound plummeting in value is a truly depressing one. It's going to be difficult for some time, I think and yes, there will probably be some unrest here in Scotland.

I voted against independence in 2014 because I believe in larger cooperative units, not smaller (although I also believe in maximum devolved power to the smallest regional units), but I'm fully expecting the Scottish independence movement to crank back into high gear. As for Northern Ireland, I do not think it unlikely that I'll see the nation I grew up in, where the rest of my family still live, fall back into violence if Scotland leaves.

The disintegration of the UK could be just a few years away, but perhaps in being overly pessimistic. It is likely, however, that this won't be the end of secessionist movements across Europe, with nations seeking independence from the EU and their larger parent nations. And we all know what a divided Europe is best at...

I believe in a God who is bigger and more powerful than any organisation, nation or treaty, however, and it's to Him that I'll be turning today - as I try to do everyday - to work out where to put my feet next.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
Hebrews 13:8 NIV
http://bible.com/111/heb.13.8.NIV
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Why, UK....

You're really a selfish and ungrateful nation... Now, all our markets crash...
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

If this proves ANYTHING for folks in the US, it prove Trump CAN be elected. The Leave Campaign ran on a bigoted and ignorant platform, and they somehow won. We should be wary of what just happened, because if we aren't, if Hillary continues to play the childish "name-game" with him, we will see a lot more than the chaos in Europe.
An eye for an eye just makes the whole world go blind.
~Mahatma Gandhi

(06-24-2016, 09:41 AM)Resentine Wrote: it prove Trump CAN be elected.

Trump proved he could be elected back when he became the presumptive nominee. The big picture is not something most people excel at, which is why Leave won. Their economy is no doubt going to fall a bit. Hell, it already has (See: £).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

Lessons for the US to learn from Brexit*:

1) Actually vote.

2) Vote for what you believe is the best option, not merely the one you think might 'shake up the establishment', because, who knows, it might actually succeed.

3) Seriously, make sure you vote!

4) Listen carefully to experts on both sides of the debate, not merely the headlines of popular newspapers, so that you can make an informed decision and not wake up to discover you've been lied to.

5) Wake up and vote!

* Almost certainly not directed to anyone here present, but if you want to plaster these on your windows, feel free!
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

A Sunday Post poll has found 59% of Scots would vote for independence, and 65% after don't knows are removed.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

UK politics has basically become a train wreck over the course of the weekend. The conservatives are fighting over the power vacuum, Labour is tearing itself apart and everyone is saying contradictory things about what is about to happen next because nobody actually knows. Sad

Well, there is a petition with over 3.5 million signatures calling for a second vote. Perhaps, the roller coaster's not over.
4× Cabinet minister /// 1× OWL director /// CRS member /// SPSF

My History