We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

BuzzNews TSP Issue 1

Presenter: Tonight on BuzzNews TSP. Scenes of joy at the APC headquarters as its candidate Punchwood wins a Local Council seat meaning the APC has won its first ever elected representative.

Scenes of joy at APC Headquarters.

Presenter: Independent candidates Belschaft and Seraph have also won seats on the Council. We will be looking at how the APC won this seat. Also tonight the High Court rules that the Local Council representative must vote within the same time frame as legislators and will not get any extra time. It has also declared that Resentine will serve as Electoral Commissioner for the upcoming Delegate election instead of Feirmont. 

Presenter: Hello and welcome to BuzzNews TSP with me Max Lime. The APC has made history today by winning its first ever elected representative by winning a seat on the Local Council. The APC's candidate Punchwood won a seat with a total of 13 votes, Belschaft won his seat by winning with a total of 27 votes and Seraph also won a seat with a total of 12 votes. Our reporter Liam Moody has looked at how the APC and the two independents won their seats. 

Liam Moody: There were scenes of joy today at the APC Headquarters when they won their first elected representative with its candidate Punchwood winning a Local Council seat. On the first day of voting Belschaft took an early lead and Punchwood and Seraph were tied at 4 votes each in third place. The APC was forced to admit that a majority of its members had endorsed Punchwood due to an article written by the SPN stating that:"[there] appears to have been a bloc vote for Punchwood by members of the forum-side political party, the Alliance for the Preservation of the Coalition (APC)." Belschaft endorsed both Seraph and Aramancovia to become the two other Local Council members along side himself.

Liam Moody: On the second day of voting Belschaft kept his lead with 23 votes cast in his favour. This time Seraph and Punchwood were tied again but this time with candidates Aramancovia and The Derpy Democratic Republic of Herp all with 8 votes. During day two Punchwood appeared to receive the endorsement of two candidates. Curlyhoward made a public announcement stating that he was conceding the race and endorsing Punchwood for Local Council he then proceeded to change his ballot to Punchwood. Punchwood also seemed to receive an endorsement from Sepia Island, while he never made a public announcement he did change his ballot from his own to Punchwood effectively dropping out of the race and endorsing Punchwood.

Liam Moody: On the finally day of voting things were close. Pencil Sharpers 2 who had one well on the first day of voting but failed to gain any more support during the next two days dropped out and endorsed both Punchwood and Seraph for Local Council. He did however change his vote to Punchwood instead of Seraph which may have prompted one of his supports to back Punchwood as well. Seraph did seem to gain a small boost from the endorsement gaining a lead over Punchwood but by now Punchwood was gaining the support of nations who had not yet voted and due to this there was tie between the two just three hours until polls closed with each having 12 votes. In the end however Punchwood receive one extra vote at the last minute and finished in second place with 13 votes. Belschaft call in first with 27 and Seraph came in third with 12 votes.

Liam Moody: Well this has been a dramatic election with twists and turns and always being too close to predict a result. This election has made history, with the APC winning its first ever elected representative and with this election having the highest turnout in any TSP election with 102 voters voting for a candidate and with 9 abstaining.

Max Lime: Well joining me in the studio now is Liam Moody, and Liam can you please go into detail about what this means for each of the candidates?

Liam Moody: Well Max this is an important election win for all the candidates. I'll start with Seraph, who is a very new nation yet has made a very positive impression on the region already. So much so, that he is now an Advisory Council member for Roavin in Regional Affairs. He has been tipped by some as a possible future Cabinet member. So for him this election is very big as it gets his name out there into the region at large and not just on the forums and will help to get his views on issues out there. So this is an undeniably big win for Seraph and his political career.

Max Lime: For Punchwood?

Liam Moody: Well this isn't so much as a win for Punchwood but a win for his party, the APC. This win gives them their first elected representative and will undoubtable help to get their name and message across. This win does in many ways make them a proper party now and will help them out in any future elections especially against the other TSP political party, The Island League. As for Punchwood himself, well he did at the last election launch an ultimately unsuccessful bid for Minister for Foreign Affairs and by doing so lost his Cabinet seat. So by being elected this puts him back into the public spotlight. By being on the Local Council he will be able to gain gameside support if he ever decides to run for Delegate and this also gives him experience in another field which would help him in any future elections. So while this may not be a huge win for Punchwood it is a huge win for his party.

Max Lime: And finally what about Belschaft?

Liam Moody: For Belschaft this win brings him back into regional politics. He returned to the region after the government coup and once the Great Council created a Prime Minister position again Belschaft seemed like the heir apparent, but he never even ran for Prime Minister instead choosing to run for Chair of the Assembly. He lost the Chair of the Assembly vote however very closely with Awe winning with just one more vote than Belschaft. Now by winning a Local Council seat he can start to build up more support and to het his views back out there. He won his seat with a very large number of votes being cast in his favour, and his promise to devolve more power from the forums to the gameside community could win him a lot of support gameside in any future Delegate election. So for Belschaft a fairly significant result.

Max Lime: Ok Liam, thanks very much. The High Court has ruled that the Local Council representative to the Assembly must cast its ballots within the same time frame as legislators and should receive no extra time. The verdict was reached due to Minister for Regional Affairs Roavin asking the Court a Legal Question on the absence of a Local Council representative. Stating that 4 pieces of legislation that had been passed by the Assembly and could not be defeated regardless of how the Local Council voted were not able to be written into law due to the Local Council votes not being cast yet. The Court gave its verdict two days after the Legal Question was submitted.

Max Lime: Finally tonight, the High Court has named Resentine as a replacement Electoral Commissioner for the upcoming Delegate elections. Resentine will replace the Permeant Justice Feirmont as Electoral Commissioner. Feirmont had served as Electoral Commissioner for the Cabinet elections and as co-commissioner for the Local Council election alongside Farengeto. This does raise the question, is Feirmont planning to run for Delegate? If so and if he won he would also have to resign as Permeant Justice of the High Court. We won't have long to wait to find out with the Delegate election being held at some point in July. 

Max Lime: That's all we have time for this week's edition of BuzzNews TSP, join us next time. For now its goodbye from me, and goodbye from everyone in the studio. Goodnight.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I'm not sure how you came to 102 people voting in the poll; the number was 81.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Is BuzzNews an APC sanctioned, owned, and operated paper? If not, that's pretty blatant bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ProfessorHenn
Legislator

(07-01-2016, 11:24 AM)Belschaft Wrote: I'm not sure how you came to 102 people voting in the poll; the number was 81.

No neither am I now that you pointed that out. Thanks Bel!

(07-02-2016, 02:47 AM)Cathalea Wrote: Is BuzzNews an APC sanctioned, owned, and operated paper? If not, that's pretty blatant bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I would also say that the newspaper is not biased, not once in that entire issue did I mention the APC's political views, just because I focused mostly on the APC historic win that does not mean it is biased. If I had BuzzNews up and running during the Cabinet elections I would have focused mainly on TIL with its historic wins, and I'm sure you wouldn't be calling it biased then.

The next issue will almost certainly not have the APC in it, and may I point out there is nothing wrong with a newspaper being biased. A newspaper's job is to sell issues or in this case have it be viewed by as many people as possible, it is not to be 100% fair and unbiased. I don't plan on making Buzz a bias newspaper, to try and make my newspaper different I plan to make it seem like a TV news studio.