We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Dissolution of Treaty with Balder

Statement from the Cabinet
of the Coalition of The South Pacific

Dissolution of Treaty with Balder

The Cabinet of the Coalition of The South Pacific has been conducting a review of our diplomatic and military alliances, as the first mandated Cabinet since the reformation of the Coalition. A review of our relationship with Balder shows that it has been largely non-existent since the inception of the treaty between our two regions. Since 2012, there have been few inter-regional events, very little communication, and several instances of hostile comments from members of the Balder monarchy.

We were dismayed at Queen Solorni’s positions on the coup of early 2016, calling it a "step in a positive direction," which showed a lack of respect for the Coalition’s laws, government, and forum community. Unlike our other treaty allies, Balder did not come to the aid of the legitimate government of The South Pacific. Indeed, Queen Solorni attacked our allies in Lazarus and Balder for coming to our aid, calling them "two inactive and defender sinkers [who have] backed the manipulative defender forces in TSP."

Article 1 of the TSP-Balder Treaty reads as follows:

1) Each signatory recognises the government and laws of the other signatory as rightful and shall not seek to overthrow them or assist another region or organisation in doing so.

It is our belief that Balder failed to uphold their obligation under our treaty, by recognizing the Transitional Government over the legitimate Coalition. We cannot be confident that Queen Solorni, Prince North East Somerset, or the Staatsraadet, can be relied upon to come to the aid of the legitimate government should we face a future rogue Delegate or invading force. In other words, Balder's treaty commitment to come to our aid during invasion or coup is not credible, rendering our bilateral treaty ineffective.

Treaties are more than just words on forums. We believe that actions speak to the true intentions and interests of our treaty partners. For that reason, we hereby invoke Article 7 of the TSP-Balder Treaty, dissolving the treaty effective five days from this day.

This is more than excellent. It is needed.
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

This is highly illegal; as an act of the Assembly, treaties can only be dissolved by the Assembly.

I would like an explanation at the soonest possible convenience as to what the hell is going on here.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Addendum: Subsequent to a discussion with MoFA Sandaguo, I will be submitting a legal challenge in court. This treaty is an act of the Assembly, and by precedent and law the Assembly is the supreme and sole legislative body; it's acts cannot be undone by any other body.

The cabinet has acted in a grossly illegal manner here.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Looking over the Charter — I don't think we have a clause for treaty approval or dissolution. This is likely something we need to address.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I think it's fine considering you're the only one who's had an issue with it.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

I also have an issue with this. Look, now he's not alone.

(07-20-2016, 05:47 AM)Wolf Wrote: I also have an issue with this. Look, now he's not alone.

I am not entirely sure how you even count, since you barely participate here, but Ok.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.

Glad to see you believe we're all afforded an equal voice at the table.

Speaking of having a voice, why did the Cabinet feel it was so pressing to make this decision on their own without even mentioning it to the Assembly? Was this an oversight or a lack of trust?

(07-21-2016, 07:21 PM)Wolf Wrote: Glad to see you believe we're all afforded an equal voice at the table.

Speaking of having a voice, why did the Cabinet feel it was so pressing to make this decision on their own without even mentioning it to the Assembly? Was this an oversight or a lack of trust?
If you don't participate in a region and only come to try and 'skew' results after some 'big thing' that happens, then you shouldn't be allowed a voice.
So many people have explained themselves already that it's not funny. No one's going to answer you. Do some research.