We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Change to the Regional Officers Act

FI'd like to make a small change to the Regional Officers Act since apparently I've been doing things illegally since our new Charter.

Quote:3. Executive Discretion

(1) The Cabinet and/or Delegate may grant Communications, Appearance, and Polls powers to regional members as they see fit.

I've been assigned powers as needed — to Railana for WA stuff and Feir, Far and Res for elections, and Awe for legislation without explicit permission from the Cabinet. I've also adjusted positions as needed since, at times, we've hit the regional limit.

I don't see this changes anything, really, just legalizing what has been happening.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I've got no problems with it.

I also support this. Does anyone feel they need to debate it?
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

I'd write "or" instead of "and/or". But yeah, support.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Question; seeing as the power to appoint RO's is one that only the Delegate is able to exercise, and considering that day-to-day management of the in game region isn't the responsability of the Cabinet, why not simply have this read Delegate?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(08-13-2016, 11:48 AM)Belschaft Wrote: Question; seeing as the power to appoint RO's is one that only the Delegate is able to exercise, and considering that day-to-day management of the in game region isn't the responsability of the Cabinet, why not simply have this read Delegate?

In keeping with the spirit of the PM being the head of the government, I figured keeping the Cabinet involved would be in be order.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

I'd be fine with either formulation. Just "Delegate" is technically more correct as Bel points out, while "Cabinet or Delegate" includes the possibility of executive ROs in the future (if NS were to ever add such a thing).

I'd suggest we discuss and decide for a few days and then motion.

I think this way makes more sense. It allows both to make the decisions, instead of leaving it with just one person holding all the power.
Semi-Unretired

(08-17-2016, 04:23 PM)Drugged Monkeys Wrote: I think this way makes more sense. It allows both to make the decisions, instead of leaving it with just one person holding all the power.

Do we want both to have to approve (as it seems you're implying, if I'm not mistaken)? That would require the language to change slightly, plus it'd be awkward as the Cabinet would then have to approve Cabinet positions too.

(08-17-2016, 05:45 PM)Roavin Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 04:23 PM)Drugged Monkeys Wrote: I think this way makes more sense. It allows both to make the decisions, instead of leaving it with just one person holding all the power.

Do we want both to have to approve (as it seems you're implying, if I'm not mistaken)? That would require the language to change slightly, plus it'd be awkward as the Cabinet would then have to approve Cabinet positions too.

Honestly, I'd be against this. I'm happy to follow what the Cabinet wants, but I don't think the delegate should have to run these changes past the Cabinet. Speaking from recent experience, this is often done short term and in relative short order. Having to run this past the Cabinet — and, probably allowing the Cabinet to vote on it — would be detrimental to an active region.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]