We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

The Commission on Procedure (COP)

Good day to you all. I said in my campaign for CoA that I was dedicated to ensuring that we codify the rules and procedures of this Assembly. Here is the 3 step plan me and my Deputy are looking at:
1. Commission on Procedure: looks at existing procedures and will work to create an entirely new set of them based on the current one
2. Public Debate: the Commission will submit any bills and amendments it recommends to the Assembly for public debate and input.
3. Voting: after public discussion final proposals will be voted on and (hopefully) adopted.

The requirements to serve on the commission is that you must be a legislator, and fill out the below application and be accepted. Applicants many either post their application in this thread or may PM their application to the Chair (me). We will determine who will serve on the commission and will work to create a diverse commission.
I would like to add though that party affiliation will have no bearing in the selection process.

The commission will be looking at the following topics as well as anything commissioners belive should be covered:
  • Procedure for debate
  • List of acceptable motions
  • Powers the Chair has
  • Procedure for votes
  • Procedure for something be brought back to a vote
  • Procedure for competing legislation
  • Codifying DCoA

I and the DCoA have decided that we will see how many people besides ourselves are invited onto the commission based on how many applicants we get.
Here is the application:
Code:
[b]Are you currently a legislator in TSP?[/b]
[b]Have you ever served as (D)CoA or a similar role here or in another region? If yes please provide details.[/b]
[b]Have you ever read RL rules of procedure (ex: Roberts Rules of Order, Rules of the Senate)? If yes please provide details.[/b]
[b]Have you ever written passed legislation here in TSP? If yes please provide details.[/b]
[b]Have you ever been convicted of a crime in any region? If yes please provide details.[/b]
[b]If there is anything you wish to include you may do so here:[/b]
The application period will end in 7 days.
We look forward to seeing the applications we get.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Are you currently a legislator in TSP?
Yes

Have you ever served as (D)CoA or a similar role here or in another region? If yes please provide details.
Three terms as CoA here.

Have you ever read RL rules of procedure (ex: Roberts Rules of Order, Rules of the Senate)? If yes please provide details.
Yes; in terms of IRL relevant experience I've served on the organising committee of three International MUN conferences which obviously requires a fairly detailed understanding of parliamentary procedure - you can't run a MUN without knowing how to take part in one.

Have you ever written passed legislation here in TSP? If yes please provide details.
Far too many times to list - I was probably the single largest contributor to the last Charter and code of laws once all the amendments passed over the years are taken into account.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime in any region? If yes please provide details.
Nope.

If there is anything you wish to include you may do so here:
Nope.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Are you currently a legislator in TSP?: Yes
Have you ever served as (D)CoA or a similar role here or in another region? If yes please provide details.: No
Have you ever read RL rules of procedure (ex: Roberts Rules of Order, Rules of the Senate)? If yes please provide details.: Not much that pertains to legislative procedure, though I'm relatively well versed in that area with regards to software development.
Have you ever written passed legislation here in TSP? If yes please provide details.: Kinda. The Regional Communications Act was initially drafted by Tsu and then I took over adding and amending until the final version. A few other minor things here and there.
Have you ever been convicted of a crime in any region? If yes please provide details.: No
If there is anything you wish to include you may do so here: Nope.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

Are you currently a legislator in TSP? Yup!
Have you ever served as (D)CoA or a similar role here or in another region? If yes please provide details. I've served as Chair and deputy Chair (under Unibot).
Have you ever read RL rules of procedure (ex: Roberts Rules of Order, Rules of the Senate)? If yes please provide details. Yes, I've participated in Model UN, which uses Robert's Rules. I've also sat in on parliamentary debates and committees IRL.
Have you ever written passed legislation here in TSP? If yes please provide details. Yes, several instances. Most notably, I wrote the bulk of the current Charter.
Have you ever been convicted of a crime in any region? If yes please provide details. Nope.

Have you ever served as (D)CoA or a similar role here or in another region? If yes please provide details.: No

Have you ever read RL rules of procedure (ex: Roberts Rules of Order, Rules of the Senate)? If yes please provide details.: I am rather familiar in the procedures of the US Congress (both House and Senate).

Have you ever written passed legislation here in TSP? If yes please provide details.: No

Have you ever been convicted of a crime in any region? If yes please provide details.: No

If there is anything you wish to include you may do so here: Newer blood could be used in older institutions.
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

Are you currently a legislator in TSP?
Yes.

Have you ever served as (D)CoA or a similar role here or in another region? If yes please provide details.
I am the serving Speaker of the House in Lazarus, where I have been elected and reelected to the position 3 times, all landslides.

Have you ever read RL rules of procedure (ex: Roberts Rules of Order, Rules of the Senate)? If yes please provide details.
I've read Robert's Rules.

Have you ever written passed legislation here in TSP? If yes please provide details.
No, but I have in other regions.

Have you ever been convicted of a crime in any region? If yes please provide details.
No.

If there is anything you wish to include you may do so here:

Have you ever served as (D)CoA or a similar role here or in another region? If yes please provide details.: Currently a member in the pool of justices.

Have you ever read RL rules of procedure (ex: Roberts Rules of Order, Rules of the Senate)? If yes please provide details.: I've read but am re-familiarizing myself to the procedures of the US Congress (both House and Senate) and UN.

Have you ever written passed legislation here in TSP? If yes please provide details.: No

If there is anything you wish to include you may do so here: None

Good evening. I am here before you tonight regarding our selections for the Commission on Procedure. Many factors were taken into account (and before you yell we did not take into account party affiliation). So here are the selections for the Commission on Procedure:
-Frost
-Griffindor

Thank you for all the applications and I look forward to the Assembly's input on the suggestions the Commission will make. Thank you all and have a great evening.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

Roavin I can at least understand, but I have to question your selection criteria here. You had several candidates with varying degrees of legislative experience in TSP, across NS, and even IRL, yet here it seems as though you've ignored all of them in favour of two candidates who frankly have almost no legislative experience. I have no problems with Frost and Griffindor personally, but your choices here are rather confusing.

Since I don't particularly like responses to my concerns being dragged away to private chat, here's Omega's reply to my above comment for the public record:
[Image: Uyvc6uE.png]