We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[DRAFT] Amend Election Act to handle LC Vacancies

Given that Local Councillor Bullbasra has CTEd, and a LC vacancy is not addressed in our current Election Act, I propose the following:

5. Vacancies of Office
(1) A special election will be held for vacancies arising within the Cabinet, if more than half of the term remains. If less than half of the term remains, or the position is vacant due to nobody running in its election, the Cabinet may appoint a replacement until the next regularly scheduled election.
(2) A special election will be held for vacancies arising within the Local Council, if more than half of the term remains. If less than half of the term remains, or the position is vacant due to nobody running in its election, the Delegate may appoint a replacement until the next regularly scheduled election.
(23) Should the office of Delegate become vacant, the next person in the line of succession will become interim Delegate until the next regularly scheduled election. If no person qualifies for the office, then a special election will be held.

Basically, the same method as for Cabinet vacancies, except that the appointments are done by the Delegate. Should be uncontroversial.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I have no problem with this.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Nor do I
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

Fully agree
Chief Supervising Armchair

Note: Bullbasra's LC seat would be filled by special election now, unless we take a really long time to put this into law.

That's the same way the other elected postions are handled so it makes sense to handle the LC the same way.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

No objections; a debate might be needed about Assembly confirmation of interim appointments, but for now bringing the LC into line with other branches of government is fine by me.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Looks fine to me.

Motion.

Gesendet von meinem Xtouch mit Tapatalk

How to replace a vacant member seems like something the other 2 LC members should be working out for themselves. The Assembly shouldn't be deciding this stuff for them.