We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Voting Rights for WA Nations

I expect this to receive considerable criticism, but it should come as a surprise to no one that I am bringing it forward.

Quote:
IV. THE ASSEMBLY

Establishing legislative authority in the Assembly

1. The Assembly holds supreme legislative authority in the Coalition, and is comprised of all eligible legislators and a representative of the Local Council Legislators and Regional WA members. It is responsible for establishing and maintaining the legal code of the Coalition.

2. The Assembly will elect a Legislator as Chair for a term lasting four months. The Chair is responsible for maintaining order and decorum, and helping guide Assembly debate into the creation of bills. If a Chair is recalled or otherwise not in office, a new Chair will be elected for a new term lasting four months. Should a bill not to be brought to vote within one week of receiving a seconding motion the Chair will be considered to have vacated their office, unless they have indicated that it requires further debate. The Election Commission will be responsible for organising Chair elections.

Legislator Eligibility

3. All residents citizens of the Coalition are eligible to attain Legislator status through application with the Chair, predicated on the Chair ensuring they are not seeking membership in bad faith, are not attempting to obscure their identity, are not attempting to join with multiple nations, and the Council on Regional Security does not declare them a significant risk to regional security. Any member of the Assembly may publicly petition the Chair for or against a prospective legislator’s admission.

4. Continued Legislator status requires active membership and good behaviour. The Chair will remove Legislator status from any person absent for three non-concurrent Assembly votes; Legislators who have an approved leave of absence from the Chair shall not be considered absent. Additionally, the Chair may suspend privileges for disruptive members. Frequent suspensions may be grounds for ineligibility, if found appropriate in a fair trial by the High Court.

Legislative Rules

5. All bills will be moved to a vote upon receiving a second by another Legislator, should the Chair or their designated deputy determine that there has been sufficient debate on the issue. Debate must last for a minimum period of time equivalent to that proposed legislation will be at vote for.

6. All general laws, resolutions, and treaty ratifications must be passed by a simple majority of those voting. Laws marked as constitutional laws, or resolutions that deal with issues found in constitutional laws, require a three-fifths supermajority of those voting to pass. Appointments, unless otherwise specified, require a simple majority of those voting. 

7. The Chair or their designated deputy is responsible for the creation of a voting thread for Legislators and an in-game poll for Regional WA members, and recording the votes. The votes of Legislators and Regional WA members will be combined, to produce the full vote of the Assembly. In the event that the Chair or their designated deputy does not or cannot perform their duties in a reasonable time-frame, any a member of the Assembly may create a voting thread.

8. Should a debate lead to multiple competing bills on a single issue, the Chair will bring the competing bills to vote separately and simultaneously, in the same way regular business is done. The bill that gets the most aye votes and meets minimum threshold requirements will become law.

9. Citizens may vote both as Legislators and Regional WA members, with each ballot being given fifty-percent weighting for the purpose of the full Assembly vote.

9. The Local Council representative will have a weighted vote of 20% of all non-abstaining votes cast on bills. The Chair will calculate how many votes are allotted to the representative at the close of each vote, and then add the representative’s total votes to the final tally.

10. The legislative history of all laws will be recorded by the Chair, including debate threads, vote results, and amendment histories.

V. THE LOCAL COUNCIL

Establishing home rule for the in-game region residents

1. The Local Council will be a body of three residents of The South Pacific elected by the region as a whole every four months, who will represent the interests of all players in the region, moderate the Regional Message Board, and encourage activity on the game-side.

2. The content of the World Factbook Entry and Dispatches will be managed by the Local Council, in cooperation with the Delegate, and must contain at least a link to the Official Regional Forums and a notice to endorse members of the Council on Regional Security.

3. The Local Council will have the authority to run regional polls, create and pin Dispatches, and to suppress messages on the Regional Message Board according to a standard moderation policy. It may not alter the regional flag or tags, and may not send out mass telegrams, without the approval of the Delegate.

4. The Local Council is responsible for sending a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council, along with how the representative casts their votes in the Assembly.

Quote:XII. AMENDMENT PROCESS

Setting a procedure for amendment the Charter

1. The Assembly may amend any provision of the Charter by a three-fifths supermajority. Amendments must be constitutional in nature, addressing the structure or framework of government. Bills that may exist as general laws, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, should not be placed in the Charter.

2. Any amendment that directly affects the game-side community or its home governance, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, must also be debated and voted upon by the game-side community.

Feel free to start screaming at me now.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

I honestly don't see the point of a debate, since we've been having it for months already and I very much doubt anyone has changed their opinion in the process.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

We've been having the debate, but I haven't actually brought legislation forward before.

(12-22-2016, 08:49 PM)Belschaft Wrote: We've been having the debate, but I haven't actually brought legislation forward before.

Oh, I acknowledge that. I was just pre-empting the debate.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

(12-22-2016, 08:55 PM)Seraph Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 08:49 PM)Belschaft Wrote: We've been having the debate, but I haven't actually brought legislation forward before.

Oh, I acknowledge that. I was just pre-empting the debate.

I don't expect much "debate", just lots of shouting.

(12-22-2016, 08:58 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(12-22-2016, 08:55 PM)Seraph Wrote:

Oh, I acknowledge that.  I was just pre-empting the debate.

I don't expect much "debate", just lots of shouting.

That's what I was trying to pre-empt. Tounge

Anyway, sleep now....

Okay first things first here are some special notes regarding debate as this may get heated:
- No cussing. You will get a warning and then will serve a temporary suspension
- Attacks on one's character. You will get a warning unless it is serious
As always you may appeal a suspension to the High Court. And if this becomes too toxic I will lock the thread and no more debate will occur. A vote is still possible even if I lock debate. Locking debate is not an action I would take lightly and I would consult with the Permanent Justice before doing so.

Okay, so now that I have that out of the way I want to voice my opposition to this right here at the get go. I believe very strongly that if people want to be involved in the Assembly they can come here and do so. I also can't wait to hear all about the security threats this could lead to. That's all I have on this and I will be watching this very closely.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

No
Deputy Regional Minister of the Planning and Development Agency(March 8-May 19, 2014)

Local Council Member(April 24-August 11)

Court Justice of TSP(August 15-December 7)

So anybody can switch WA into TSP and get the same vote as an actually vetted legislator?

(12-22-2016, 10:47 PM)Altmoras Wrote: So anybody can switch WA into TSP and get the same vote as an actually vetted legislator?

Why shouldn't the hundreds of players with their main WA nation in TSP have comparable say in how the region is run to the two dozen or so legislators who actively vote? Why is a legislator, who may not be primarily focused on TSP, have more rights than a regional WA member?