We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

o7 TSP
Question 
[Image: idrillis__356075.png]
(It's my counrty's flag ingame with a link to access it easily Wink)

Hello from Idrillis, I got random incorporated to your region. Happywide
Since I'm clearly a noob on NationStates, I'll stay with you guys for quite a while. I'm coming from another dying game and NationState is very different from it.

How the previous game I played works :

What I suppose NationState is all about :
  1. Dealing with issues daily     <-- I understand that
  2. Internal region stuff     <-- I don't understand
  3. Foreign affair within the region     <-- I don't know
  4. Foreign affair between multiple regions     <-- I don't know either
  5. World Assembly stuff     <-- I'm trying to get tuned
  6. Ranking stuff     <-- I don't give a damn about ranks Happywide
  7. Military stuff     <-- I don't understand
  8. Role-Playing stuff     <-- I wait to understand the game entirely before that Tounge
  9. And I might forgot many aspects of the game x)     <-- I won't reject your help about it.

So I hope you guys (and girls) will help me. Happywide Because I don't understand most of the game (I'm reading all kind of doc already but don't quite have the time for it). x)
King of Idrillis.

Ingame definition Wrote:"The Kingdom of Idrillis is a tiny, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its frequent executions, compulsory military service, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, cynical population of 7 million idrillisians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up."

Hey HiddenUnder!
Just a quick little note, NationStates is probably very unsophisticated compared to the last game you came from. Most of NS is roleplay.
I would help but I don't have time. If no one's beat me to it before tomorrow, I'll post with regards to the stuff you don't understand.
Nice to see you here!
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

(01-04-2017, 07:10 AM)HiddenUnder Wrote: What I suppose NationState is all about :
  1. Dealing with issues daily     <-- I understand that
  2. Internal region stuff     <-- I don't understand
  3. Foreign affair within the region     <-- I don't know
  4. Foreign affair between multiple regions     <-- I don't know either
  5. World Assembly stuff     <-- I'm trying to get tuned
  6. Ranking stuff     <-- I don't give a damn about ranks Happywide
  7. Military stuff     <-- I don't understand
  8. Role-Playing stuff     <-- I wait to understand the game entirely before that Tounge
  9. And I might forgot many aspects of the game x)     <-- I won't reject your help about it.

So I hope you guys (and girls) will help me. Happywide Because I don't understand most of the game (I'm reading all kind of doc already but don't quite have the time for it). x)

Hello and welcome! I'm the Minister of Regional Affairs here and welcoming people is part of the job of my ministry. Have you read this dispatch, yet? It answers a fair few of the questions you've asked if you take the time to read it through. I tried to make it light-hearted and enjoyable, soif you find it a chore, you can blame me!

You can also ask questions on our Discord server (which I know you've already joined).

I'll try to give quick descriptions of the things you say you don't understand here, though:

Internal region stuff - This consists of things like our regional journalism (that's my area too) and events and festivals (also MoRA stuff). It's what you make of it really. If you're interested in helping out, why not visit the MoRA Discord server and we can show you around.

Foreign affair within the region - In the NationStates community, Foreign Affairs refers to relationships between regions, not within them.

Foreign affair between multiple regions - This is the purview of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Our FA minister is @Sam111. He can tell you more about our relationships with other regions, if you're interested.

World Assembly stuff - I cover this a bit in the guide, so I won't go into much detail here, but there are lots of benefits to being in the WA, including aiding our regional security with your endorsement count. @sandaoguo is actually on the WA's General Secretariat, so I'm sure he'd be happy to fill you in on the more complex side of the WA.

Military stuff - We also have a Ministry of Military Affairs, headed up by the minister, @Roavin. Military gameplay in NationStates is all about gaining control of regions through the use of the endorsement system. If you want to know more, ask Roavin.

Role-Playing stuff - Like most of the stuff that happens on the forums, our roleplaying community doesn't really have muc to do with the game itself. My nation, Erinor isn't much like Erinor in the game, not least because the way the game works doesn't lead to naturalistic nations and our regional RP is designed around realistic modern nations (although we have non-canon RPs for all other kinds). Have a look in Treasure Island on these forums to see what that's like.

I hope that helps and, once again, welcome to the South Pacific. Did anyone give you a Lampshade? Well, have another, just in case!
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Hey HiddenUnder, welcome to TSP!

Which game are you coming from and what do you like about NationStates so far?

Hey there, welcome to TSP! Smile
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

@Zak6858
Zak6858 Wrote:Most of NS is roleplay.
I knew that obviously, since I got spamed by 33 "join my region and enjoy my roleplay etc..." messages. But as I said I prefer to completly understand the game, to chose the kind of roleplay environement I will prefer. Tounge

Zak6858 Wrote:I would help but I don't have time. If no one's beat me to it before tomorrow, I'll post with regards to the stuff you don't understand.
I guess you got beaten by Seraph. Happywide

@Seraph
Seraph Wrote:Have you read this dispatch, yet?
I've only read the head lines of the dispatch, since as Zak, I don't have much time. But, I'll try to dispatch my tasks to my friend and gain a day or 2 to read all the stuff that I have to read.

Seraph Wrote:You can also ask questions on our Discord server.
Well, I don't have much specific question and I know that answering very large question isn't easy, so I only asked issues' specified question. And if there's a dedicated chan, tell me.

Seraph Wrote:This consists of things like our regional journalism (that's my area too) and events and festivals (also MoRA stuff)
I'll get more tuned if I have the time, but as writter of articles too, it might be fun to read similar work. Happywide

Seraph Wrote:In the NationStates community, Foreign Affairs refers to relationships between regions, not within them.
Well, since a single player plays a entire country, I thought it could have some foreign stuff between those. And I reproach NationStates that you can't have citizens player and only country governement player, and that kind of lack of sens for me that an entire country is assigned to a ministerial post. x)

Seraph Wrote:He can tell you more about our relationships with other regions, if you're interested.
I'll pm Sam ofc, because on my previous game I wasn't ever MoFA, but I think it always have it's inportance to know a bit about FA.

Seraph Wrote:including aiding our regional security with your endorsement count.
Endorsement system seems really important. Any place where I can find infos about how it work ?

Seraph Wrote:Did anyone give you a Lampshade? Well, have another, just in case!
No, it's like the Lampshade is the local drink, thank for the share. Happywide

@Anapol

Anapol Wrote:Which game are you coming from
E-sim, I thought it was wrotten on the screen. xD

Anapol Wrote:what do you like about NationStates so far?
The consept of the game, and the community-based gameplay which force you to work the game with other players.

Anyway thanks all for welcome and stuff. Happywide
King of Idrillis.

Ingame definition Wrote:"The Kingdom of Idrillis is a tiny, environmentally stunning nation, notable for its frequent executions, compulsory military service, and punitive income tax rates. The compassionate, cynical population of 7 million idrillisians are ruled by a mostly-benevolent dictator, who grants the populace the freedom to live their own lives but watches carefully for anyone to slip up."

(01-06-2017, 05:45 AM)HiddenUnder Wrote:
Seraph Wrote:You can also ask questions on our Discord server.
Well, I don't have much specific question and I know that answering very large question isn't easy, so I only asked issues' specified question. And if there's a dedicated chan, tell me.

The Lampshade Bar and Grill channel is our general chat channel, so is the best place to ask most questions.  There's a dedicated roleplay channel for any of your roleplaying questions.

Seraph Wrote:This consists of things like our regional journalism (that's my area too) and events and festivals (also MoRA stuff)
I'll get more tuned if I have the time, but as writter of articles too, it might be fun to read similar work. Happywide

Head over to the NationStates Discussion Center subforum to view our journalism.  The Southern Journal is our official regional newspaper and the Treasure Island Report is the official newspaper of our roleplaying community.

Seraph Wrote:In the NationStates community, Foreign Affairs refers to relationships between regions, not within them.
Well, since a single player plays a entire country, I thought it could have some foreign stuff between those. And I reproach NationStates that you can't have citizens player and only country governement player, and that kind of lack of sens for me that an entire country is assigned to a ministerial post. x)

I completely understand what you're saying, but the regional government and the cabinet positions within it all exist as emergent features of the community playing the game, not as original parts of the game itself.  NS as a game is really just about answering issues and voting in the WA.  Everything else has been a function of the community playing it for the last 13 years, although the developers have added features to make all of these things easier (like the Regional Officer powers which allow our cabinet and other officials to have powers on the RMB etc.)

There is no way to interact nation to nation except through the WA ranking challenge feature, or through roleplay.

Seraph Wrote:including aiding our regional security with your endorsement count.
Endorsement system seems really important. Any place where I can find infos about how it work ?

I'm actually planning to write a detailed guide about this sort of thing.  In the short term, though, I think sending @Roavin a PM on the forums or a direct message on Discord will get you the most definitive answer.

Seraph Wrote:Did anyone give you a Lampshade? Well, have another, just in case!
No, it's like the Lampshade is the local drink, thank for the share. Happywide

Our local drink is actually SPIT (South Pacific Iced-Tea).  A lampshade is just a lampshade, but handing one over to new players is a TSP tradition.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

@Seraph
What's RMB ?

And last question : Do you have some kind of MoY/MoE (Ministry of Youth/Ministry of Education) ?
We got those on my previous game, they were some kind of teachers that were wrotting tutorial articles and have a dedicated role to answer newcomer/newbie palyer questions. Since it was also a community-based game, the fact of having most of your country aware of the game mechanics could help to get a victory out against a ennemy that have uncompetent players.
King of Idrillis.

(01-06-2017, 06:35 AM)HiddenUnder Wrote: @Seraph
What's RMB ?

RMB stands for Regional Message Board.  We use a lot of abbreviations and jargon here, I'm afraid, but fortunately there's now a Glossary you can check.

(01-06-2017, 06:35 AM)HiddenUnder Wrote: And last question : Do you have some kind of MoY/MoE (Ministry of Youth/Ministry of Education) ?
We got those on my previous game, they were some kind of teachers that were wrotting tutorial articles and have a dedicated role to answer newcomer/newbie palyer questions. Since it was also a community-based game, the fact of having most of your country aware of the game mechanics could help to get a victory out against a ennemy that have uncompetent players.

Quick answer: no.

Longer answer: that's kinda under the purview of the Ministry of Regional Affairs and it's something we're working to improve, hence the welcome guide and the glossary.  Aside from those, though, the best way to learn for now is to ask questions (which you seem to be very good at!  Smile )