We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Building a Diverse and Democratic TSP | Belschaft for Delegate

[Image: Campaign_Logo.png]

TSP is a vast region - the third largest in the game - of roughly eight-thousand nations, over eight-hundred of them being WA member nations. It's also a diverse region, with almost as many playstyles as we have players. We are a region of roleplayers, spammers, generalites, defenders, raiders, debaters, WA authors.... we have players who mainly talk on the RMB, on the NationStates forums, on TSP's government forum, on our Discord Server. We have players who like to roleplay as future tech star empires, as fantasy kingdoms, as modern tech nations. Players who spend all day posting in the fifth-dimension, players with thousands of posts on our government forum and players with none.

Our diversity is self evident. No two of us are the same; we have different ideas, different priorities. We want different things from this game and from this region.

What unites is simple; we have all, every last one of us, chosen to make TSP our home. We have chosen to place our nation here - either remaining when founded, or coming here from a different region. I myself came to TSP in 2011, three years after I first started playing NationStates. What unites us is that choice, that we have chosen TSP over every other region in the game. We don't have to live here, but we do; because we all value the ideals and principles that TSP has made it's own over the last thirteen years.

Tolerance. Democracy. Diversity. Pluralism. Friendship. Openness.

TSP is a democracy - NationStates oldest democracy. We are a region governed on the basis of consent, of accountability - that the government must be answerable to the people. We have, for a very long time, been a shining example of this in NationStates. A region open to all, accepting of all, where every last player has the same rights, the same say, in how the region is run.

We are a community.

We fight, we argue. We get upset, we make mistakes. But we forgive, we move on; we try to do what is best. My vision of TSP is a simple one; one great, vast community, united in our diversity and built upon the basic principles of democracy. That everyone should have a say in how the region is governed. That decisions should not be made by a small group in secret, but whenever possible by the general population. I trust in the ability of the average citizen of TSP to make wise decisions, to choose who governs them, to decide what laws we have, what standards and rules our community will be run according to.

In 2017, we need to do more than we already are. We have new ways of running our region, new ways of holding votes, of conducting democracy. We need to find a way to use them, and open up the decision making to all of TSP. In 2017 voting should not be a right restricted to two-dozen people on the government forum, when it could be one enjoyed by hundreds of players directly as part of the in-game region.

This is my vision for TSP; a vast community, united in our common values - because of, not despite of, our diversity. I don't know the best way to get there - I'm not arrogant enough to think I have all the right answers, but I am trying to ask the right questions. How do we expand our democracy? How do we engage regional WA members in our decision making process? How do we make our government more accountable? I don't know. I would like to find out, and that is why I have spent 2016 asking these questions and campaigning for these ideas, first as an ordinary citizen and for the last six months as a Local Councillor.

No one should vote for me in the belief that doing so will answer these questions; it won't. Even if I knew how to move forward and build a diverse and democratic TSP, the Delegate does not have the ability to do so by themselves. No one can attempt such a thing by themselves; it's something we all have to work on together.

I ask you all to join me on this great adventure, to join me in building a new TSP for a new year.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Before we begin, Belschaft, why did you not vote 'Nay' and instead abstained on the Amendment to Article V of the Charter if you wanted to make TSP more democratic?

Why take away the democratically elected Local Council?
- Winner of 'Most Energetic Campaign' in the June 2016 TSP elections.
- Winner of the Best Overall RMB poster and [b]Best RMB Welcomer of the The South Pacific Coconut Awards, 2017[/b]
- Craziest Person of the June 2017 Cabinet 
- STARS Commander 

- APC -  normal member/The undisputed king of all silliness, eternal ruler and God Emperor of APC
- Swan Knight or something
 Cob Award Winner: Top-50 most endorse buttons clicked
- Regional Leda Award Winner: Top-50 highest average endorsement count

(01-04-2017, 02:08 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote: Before we begin, Belschaft, why did you not vote 'Nay' and instead abstained on the Amendment to Article V of the Charter if you wanted to make TSP more democratic?

Because that amendment in question does not do that. It constitutes a series of minor language changes, which has no effect on the nature of the Local Council.

(01-04-2017, 02:11 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 02:08 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote: Before we begin, Belschaft, why did you not vote 'Nay' and instead abstained on the Amendment to Article V of the Charter if you wanted to make TSP more democratic?

Because that amendment in question does not do that. It constitutes a series of minor language changes, which has no effect on the nature of the Local Council.

Except that it removes charter power from the LC from what I see.
- Winner of the Best Overall RMB poster and [b]Best RMB Welcomer of the The South Pacific Coconut Awards, 2017[/b]
- STARS Commander 

- APC -  normal member/The undisputed king of all silliness, eternal ruler and God Emperor of APC

(01-04-2017, 02:13 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 02:08 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote: Before we begin, Belschaft, why did you not vote 'Nay' and instead abstained on the Amendment to Article V of the Charter if you wanted to make TSP more democratic?

What do you mean when you say "charter power"?

(01-04-2017, 02:14 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 02:13 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote:

I mean it removes the ability to make polls, have a local government on the game side, and removes mod power from the RMB from the charter.
- STARS Commander 

(01-04-2017, 02:17 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote:

I mean it removes the ability to make polls, have a local government on the game side, and removes mod power from the RMB from the charter.

The legislation in question does none of these things - if it did, I would be voting against it. The powers of the Local Council are not changed by the amendment.

(01-04-2017, 02:21 PM)Belschaft Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 02:17 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 02:11 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Because that amendment in question does not do that. It constitutes a series of minor language changes, which has no effect on the nature of the Local Council.

The legislation in question does none of these things - if it did, I would be voting against it. The powers of the Local Council are not changed by the amendment.

Red means it is removed right?
[quote pid='143264' dateline='1483403014']

Quote:V. THE LOCAL COUNCIL

1. The Local Council will be the local government of the in-game community, composed of three or more residents of The South Pacific, and will represent the interests of all players in the region, moderate the Regional Message Board, encourage activity on the game-side, and administrate itself on issues unique to the in-game community.

2. The Local Council is entitled to self-administration within its jurisdiction on local issues, but may not pass laws or regulations that contradict this Charter or constitutional laws. To that end, the Assembly may not enact any law, nor the Cabinet deliver any directive, that is solely related to an issue local to the in-game community.

3. The Local Council may not be denied the authority to run regional polls, create and pin Dispatches, and to suppress messages on the Regional Message Board according to a standard moderation policy. However, it may not alter the regional flags or tags, and may not send out mass telegrams, without the approval of the Delegate.

4. To help promote inter-governmental relations, the Local Council will send a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council, along with how the representative casts their votes in the Assembly.

VIII. THE HIGH COURT

4. The High Court has the power to declare any general law or regulation, Cabinet directive, and Local Council law or regulation, in whole or in part, void upon determination that it violates the terms of this Charter or any other constitutional law.

5. The High Court may reconcile contradictions within the Charter, constitutional laws, general laws, Cabinet directives, and Local Council laws and regulations, maintaining the least amount of disruption to the intended purposes of the contradictory parts.

XII. AMENDMENT PROCESS

Setting a procedure for amendment the Charter

1. The Assembly may amend any provision of the Charter by a three-fifths supermajority. Amendments must be constitutional in nature, addressing the structure or framework of government. Bills that may exist as general laws, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, should not be placed in the Charter.

2. Any amendment that directly affects the game-side community or its home governance, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, must also be debated and voted upon by the game-side community. Additionally, the Local Council may originate amendments to its constitutional structure, which must be debated and voted upon in the Assembly.

[/quote]
- STARS Commander 

(01-04-2017, 05:57 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 02:13 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote: Except that it removes charter power from the LC from what I see.

1. The Local Council will be the local government of the in-game community, composed of three or more residents of The South Pacific, and will represent the interests of all players in the region, moderate the Regional Message Board, encourage activity on the game-side, and administrate itself on issues unique to the in-game community.

2. The Local Council is entitled to self-administration within its jurisdiction on local issues, but may not pass laws or regulations that contradict this Charter or constitutional laws. To that end, the Assembly may not enact any law, nor the Cabinet deliver any directive, that is solely related to an issue local to the in-game community.

3. The Local Council may not be denied the authority to run regional polls, create and pin Dispatches, and to suppress messages on the Regional Message Board according to a standard moderation policy. However, it may not alter the regional flags or tags, and may not send out mass telegrams, without the approval of the Delegate.

4. To help promote inter-governmental relations, the Local Council will send a representative to the Assembly, whose term must not exceed the Local Council’s. The method of selection will be decided by the Local Council, along with how the representative casts their votes in the Assembly.

VIII. THE HIGH COURT

4. The High Court has the power to declare any general law or regulation, Cabinet directive, and Local Council law or regulation, in whole or in part, void upon determination that it violates the terms of this Charter or any other constitutional law.

5. The High Court may reconcile contradictions within the Charter, constitutional laws, general laws, Cabinet directives, and Local Council laws and regulations, maintaining the least amount of disruption to the intended purposes of the contradictory parts.

XII. AMENDMENT PROCESS

1. The Assembly may amend any provision of the Charter by a three-fifths supermajority. Amendments must be constitutional in nature, addressing the structure or framework of government. Bills that may exist as general laws, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, should not be placed in the Charter.

2. Any amendment that directly affects the game-side community or its home governance, as determined by the Chair of the Assembly, must also be debated and voted upon by the game-side community. Additionally, the Local Council may originate amendments to its constitutional structure, which must be debated and voted upon in the Assembly.
[/quote]
In this amendment the bits in red are the bits that have been changed or added. It wasn't a great choice of colour.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

(01-04-2017, 06:17 PM)Seraph Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 05:57 PM)Gordon Freeman Wrote:
(01-04-2017, 02:14 PM)Belschaft Wrote: What do you mean when you say "charter power"?

VIII. THE HIGH COURT

XII. AMENDMENT PROCESS

In this amendment the bits in red are the bits that have been changed or added. It wasn't a great choice of colour.
[/quote]

It was my understanding that red= remove.

5. Vacancies of Office
(1) A special election will be held for vacancies arising within the Cabinet, if more than half of the term remains. If less than half of the term remains, or the position is vacant due to nobody running in its election, the Cabinet may appoint a replacement until the next regularly scheduled election.
(2) A special election will be held for vacancies arising within the Local Council, if more than half of the term remains. If less than half of the term remains, or the position is vacant due to nobody running in its election, the Delegate may appoint a replacement until the next regularly scheduled election.
(23) Should the office of Delegate become vacant, the next person in the line of succession will become interim Delegate until the next regularly scheduled election. If no person qualifies for the office, then a special election will be held.

http://tspforums.xyz/thread-4668.html
- STARS Commander