We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Assembly Amendment Procedure

To prevent reoccurring mistakes in our laws, I propose the following resolution on how we handle amendments and repeals in the Assembly. It would be a standard way to do both, so that we should never run into any clerical issues with legislators accidentally using old/wrong copies of the law. This is also a much more readable format, and highlights specifically what's being added/removed for our laws.

A resolution on Assembly procedures
Adopting a standard format for amendments and repeals

The Assembly of the Coalition of The South Pacific hereby adopts the following rules & procedures:

1. The standard format for an amendment will be to note which section of a law is being amended, and to quote only that part of the law. Additions of words will be formatted in green text. Subtractions of words will be formatted in red text with a strike-through.

2. The Chair will not put to vote an amendment that copies an entire law, when only individual parts of the law are being amended.

3. If a legislator moves to repeal only specific sections of a law, then the amendment procedure must be used. Otherwise, if a legislator moves to repeal an entire law, the Chair will quote the entire law and note that the entirety of it will be repealed.

Addendum-- Example of an amendment

The following is a proposed amendment to Article IV, Section 7 of the Charter:

Amendment to Article IV, Section 7 Wrote:7. The Local Council representative will have the power to cast have an additional weighted block vote worth of one-fifth 20% of all non-abstaining votes cast on bills, not including the block vote, giving them a one-sixth share of the total vote, excluding abstentions. The Chair will calculate how many votes are allotted to the representative at the close of each vote, rounding them to the nearest whole number, and will then add the representative’s total votes to the final tally.

I am for this, it drastically (for me at least) helps me figure out what was changed instead of me comparing word for word... full support!
-Griffindor/Ebonhand
-Current Roles/Positions
-Legislator 2/24/20-
-High Court Justice 6/7/20-
-South Pacific Coral Guard 11/17/20-
-Minister of Engagement 6/17/22-

-Past Roles/Positions
-Legislator 7/3/16-4/10/18
-Secretary of State 4/3/20-2/24/21

-Chair of the APC 9/24/16-5/31/17
-Vice-Chair of the APC 6/1/17-4/10/18
-Local Council Member 7/1/17-11/17/17
-Citizen 5/2012-12/2014 and  2/26/16-7/3/2016

Full support.
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"

In the short time I have been here I have seen three or four different ways of doing this. To standardise this is extremely important. Fully supported.
John Hills- President of Ausstan

I believe that this will provide a more uniform process. Please do expect my full support.

I support this.

I would also suggest that a link to the debate thread be included. They are useful for organization and (when the links aren't broken( archiving.

I fully support this

I have no objection to a standardised format for amendments.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

Okay, well I'm gonna motion this to vote.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8

Do we also want to add specific formatting, numbering/bulleting, titling, ect. for new (and existing) laws? This way, all our laws match formatting-wise, which makes reading/finding text easier.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk. So typos may be a'plenty...
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium