We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Prime Minister/Appointed Cabinet Discussion

While we are having discussions about the region, this is one I think we also need to have.

What does the Prime Minister do and do we need one?

Does anyone really know what the job of the PM is? Does the PM do anything? The PM was created to adopt the Cabinet duties of the Delegate yet the PM has no real power. The PM is more of a figurehead than the Delegate.

To quote from DM himself "To be quite honest, I haven't done all that much these past two terms."

The creation of the PM has added to our stagnation and complacency. DM will always be re-elected as he has no record to defend, no one sees the need to run against him because no one really knows what the job of PM is.

My own belief is that we should either get rid of the PM and replace it with the old Delegate system or my preferred way would to have an appointed Cabinet appointed by the PM at least for the short term.

The Delegate/PM has to get really involved in cultural events. Things like journalism, role-play, festivals, RMB games, RS, Spam games etc are what keeps the region running, but they aren't given proper attention, they are left for the MoRA to do alone. Those things should be treated as regional priorities and since the PM would be the only one up for election he/she would have to get properly involved and not just leave it for a Minister to do.

At the very least, elections would be much more exciting! Tounge
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

Prime Minister seemed like a good idea during that Great Council, but once we moved out of it, there wasn't anything left that other positions didn't cover. I think we should just go back to having the Delegate as the Head of Governemnt. We didn't have any issues when it was like that.
I am Zadiner/Zak. Part of Assembly, some other stuff, Founder of some other region.
Hey, I have a bunch of issues. You don't need to care.
Emoji of the week:  :dodgy:

Seeing as almost no one wants to be PM, aside from DM, who I must say has done a good job, and will likely forever have my endorsement, we should probably get rid of it.
John Hills- President of Ausstan

There's a very, very good reason why we went away from that (that has nothing to do with Tsu), and it would be a biiig step backward to do so for a democratic region like ours.

The PM has, as I see it, two jobs.

1. Be a mediator in the Cabinet
Sometimes the cabinet ministers need to work together but don't agree on something. It's a perfectly normal thing. The PM is there to mediate. In my first term (DM, Imki, Glen, myself), DM was there several times to make sure we children were playing nice with each other.

2. Step in when the other ministers can't
As I see it, the PM must be able to be MoRA, MoMA, or MoFA as needed. During this term, there was a stretch of I think 2-3 weeks were Sam couldn't be on much - DM was there to step up to talk to people during that time (for example, to Neo Kervoskia after the Osiris statement seeking to mend relations with TSP).

DM isn't the most vocal one in the cabinet chambers, but his presence (or another PMs) would still be sorely missed for these reasons if we were to change this. Firmly against any change to this.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]

I think Roavin hit the nail on the head. But, the job of PM is to be the head of government. I'm suppose to be a figurehead and have sent people (newbies, foreign dignitaries, etc) to DM as the head of the government.

To get rid the PM would mean the delegate would have to take over. And, would be elected more frequently and would put us back in the shape we were in.

While I appreciate the discussion, honestly Punch, I think you're taking DM's humility a bit too literally.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

The PM can just as easily be there to create a unified agenda and really manage a Cabinet, just like in the real world. DM just doesn't want to be that kind of PM. Doesn't mean somebody can't run on that type of style in the future, though.

I agree with Roavin. PM is a support position that can serve to guide and mediate.

The delegate being a security and "face" protects the region and provides stability.

I wholeheartedly do not believe that the cabinet should be appointed. The new system is better and takes out some of the kinks in the older systems.

Rather than rolling back, we should roll forward.

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

(02-07-2017, 06:43 PM)Roavin Wrote: There's a very, very good reason why we went away from that (that has nothing to do with Tsu), and it would be a biiig step backward to do so for a democratic region like ours.

The PM has, as I see it, two jobs.

1. Be a mediator in the Cabinet
Sometimes the cabinet ministers need to work together but don't agree on something. It's a perfectly normal thing. The PM is there to mediate. In my first term (DM, Imki, Glen, myself), DM was there several times to make sure we children were playing nice with each other.

2. Step in when the other ministers can't
As I see it, the PM must be able to be MoRA, MoMA, or MoFA as needed. During this term, there was a stretch of I think 2-3 weeks were Sam couldn't be on much - DM was there to step up to talk to people during that time (for example, to Neo Kervoskia after the Osiris statement seeking to mend relations with TSP).

DM isn't the most vocal one in the cabinet chambers, but his presence (or another PMs) would still be sorely missed for these reasons if we were to change this. Firmly against any change to this.

More commonly known as a Chief of Staff, or Minister without Portfolio or an advisor.

I must thank you all however as you've proven my point perfectly. You all care too much about the status-quo than even think about supporting any change or any new idea from anyone. I can see why Tsu would not like this, it would mean some real competition for him come Delegate elections. Tsu like DM has no record to defend so everyone thinks he's done an amazing job. When there is nothing for you to defend as there is nothing for you to do, you'll have always done a good job and so there is no need for someone to challenge you, and so the status-quo remains the same.

Have you not noticed that everyone is worthy of re-election, everyone has done an amazing job no matter what. Let's be honest here this Cabinet has been one of our worst. There has been no change, no achievement, nothing. Yet I bet that if they all stood for re-election they would all be re-elected.

I'm talking now to those who want to see TSP active again, who don't want to protect the status-quo, who aren't currently part of the "establishment" (I hate that word but it's the only one that meets the context here). If TSP is to become active again then change is needed. It may not be my change, it may be someone else's, but the only way that TSP will become a success again is with change. If you don't stand up to those who benefit from the status-quo then those people will always be in charge and we will always be in the status-quo.
Europeian Ambassador to The South Pacific
Former Local Council Member
Former Minister of Regional Affairs
Former High Court Justice

I get that there is an impression that there is stagnation and complacency in the region. There's no denying that much of the activity in the forums is driven by small group of, in terms of the region, veteran players and it is difficult to run against the incumbent. However, there has been change within the political government with the inclusion of Seraph and Roavin and Omega (formerly) within the region's government. I also believe in the specialization of the roles within the government and it is our best interests as a region to not only to formally establish other responsibilities such as an increased security role for the delegate and an increased administrative/coordinator role for the PM or if such were the case better communication between the region and government

(02-08-2017, 01:45 PM)Punchwood Wrote: More commonly known as a Chief of Staff, or Minister without Portfolio or an advisor.

The Prime Minister position as we have it does contain large traces of those roles, yeah.

Unfortunately, that's where the sensible portion of your post ends.

(02-08-2017, 01:45 PM)Punchwood Wrote: I must thank you all however as you've proven my point perfectly.

Really?

(02-08-2017, 01:45 PM)Punchwood Wrote: You all care too much about the status-quo than even think about supporting any change or any new idea from anyone.

Which is why in the last 9 months, our government has:
  • Fundamentally changed the Delegate position to be non-political, a first in GCRs
  • Completely gotten rid of the Vice-Delegate position
  • Introduced the PM position
  • Taken the CoA out of the Cabinet
  • Added a bloc vote for the LC
  • Had heavy discussions about, and legislated several specifics regarding, how the game-side and forum-side work together
  • Introduced political parties, including a legal definition thereof with legislated requirements, priviledges, and responsibilities
  • Went from Condorcet voting to FTFP to now IRV+RON voting systems for elections
  • ...and surely more that I'm forgetting

Totally status quo, amirite?

(02-08-2017, 01:45 PM)Punchwood Wrote: I can see why Tsu would not like this, it would mean some real competition for him come Delegate elections.

Discord now supports search. Have you tried that feature? Tsu has expressed several times in public, and many times in private, the desire for more competition in races such as his own. There were actually 5 candidates for the Delegacy, and while the game-side vote had a decent margin for Tsu over Glen, it was by no means a one-sided deal. Did you know that Tsu was very pleased with that? Probably not, because that would require being here.

(02-08-2017, 01:45 PM)Punchwood Wrote: Tsu like DM has no record to defend so everyone thinks he's done an amazing job. When there is nothing for you to defend as there is nothing for you to do, you'll have always done a good job and so there is no need for someone to challenge you, and so the status-quo remains the same.

Yes, Tsu has no record to defend. He apparently did nothing in the past 14 years in which he has been MoFA, Vice-Delegate, Delegate, journalist, author of many pieces of legislation, and known proponent of consensus-seeking and pragmatism in almost all of our affairs. That's absolutely no record.

On the other hand, somebody who did fuck all as MoRA and as LC and still thought it'd be a great idea to run for MoFA twice while completely disappearing from the region between successive elections does have a record; want to take a guess how positive that record is?

(02-08-2017, 01:45 PM)Punchwood Wrote: Have you not noticed that everyone is worthy of re-election, everyone has done an amazing job no matter what. Let's be honest here this Cabinet has been one of our worst. There has been no change, no achievement, nothing. Yet I bet that if they all stood for re-election they would all be re-elected.

Oh?

Wanna take a look at the astounding number of nominations and votes that the SPSF got during the recent Gameplay Awards? And looking at regional affairs, have you seen the massive flurry of activity that Seraph has gotten going on the MoRA Discord wit----- oh wait, you haven't seen it, because you fucked off in the middle of it.

(02-08-2017, 01:45 PM)Punchwood Wrote: I'm talking now to those who want to see TSP active again, who don't want to protect the status-quo, who aren't currently part of the "establishment" (I hate that word but it's the only one that meets the context here). If TSP is to become active again then change is needed. It may not be my change, it may be someone else's, but the only way that TSP will become a success again is with change. If you don't stand up to those who benefit from the status-quo then those people will always be in charge and we will always be in the status-quo.

The cabinet has two establishment candidates and two new candidates. For the outgoing CoA, it was the first formal office. Hardly establishment.

So this is what it has come down to with your relationship in TSP. Not being here, and then showing up and telling us all that we need to bust our asses and put the work in to make this region great again. I'm sorry, maybe you missed it with your absence and all, but we have been doing all of that - we, those who you dare to insult so recklessly, have been working relentlessly in making sure there continues to be a region for you to ignore and only visit conveniently during elections. You owe Seraph, Tsu, Vietnam, myself, and many many others an apology, and I sincerely wish that you cannot bear to see your face in the mirror until you have done so.

Since you're so free in giving your sage wisdom, maybe you will appreciate some of mine: Go fuck off back to Europeia and this time, stay there. We don't need you.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]