We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

DCoA Disscusson

Okay, so I know that this problem is partially my fault and I apologize for that. However, seeing as for the second time in a year this has happened I think we need to address what to do when the office of CoA is vacant.
Personally, I would recommend that the DCoA be given temporary control of the Assembly, until the next CoA is elected. This way the Assembly would still have a formal leader and be able to operate like it usually does. I am of course interested to hear what the rest of y'all have to say though.
Above all else, I hope to be a decent person.
Has Been
What's Next?

CoA: August 2016-January 2017
Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

(02-10-2017, 07:57 PM)Omega Wrote: Okay, so I know that this problem is partially my fault and I apologize for that. However, seeing as for the second time in a year this has happened I think we need to address what to do when the office of CoA is vacant.
Personally, I would recommend that the DCoA be given temporary control of the Assembly, until the next CoA is elected. This way the Assembly would still have a formal leader and be able to operate like it usually does. I am of course interested to hear what the rest of y'all have to say though.

This is precedent for this. During someone's situation in the past, Pen was DCoA and took over the role of CoA when needed. I think this seems like a logical solution.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

Article IV, Clause 7 should cover this essentially. Most of the duties of the Chair either are or can be safely suspended during an election for a new one, and voting threads can be established in the absence of one if strictly necessary.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(02-10-2017, 08:08 PM)Tsunamy Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 07:57 PM)Omega Wrote: Okay, so I know that this problem is partially my fault and I apologize for that. However, seeing as for the second time in a year this has happened I think we need to address what to do when the office of CoA is vacant.

This is precedent for this. During someone's situation in the past, Pen was DCoA and took over the role of CoA when needed. I think this seems like a logical solution.

So would you want me to write up a specific proposal?
Has Been
What's Next?

Minister of Foreign Affairs: October 2019-June 2020, October 2020- February 2021

What specific duties do you think need to be discharged by someone, aside from running votes?
Former Delegate of the South Pacific
Posts outside High Court venues should be taken as those of any other legislator.
I do not participate in the regional server, but I am happy to talk through instant messaging or on the forum.

Legal Resources:
THE MATT-DUCK Law Archive | Mavenu Diplomatic Archive | Rules of the High Court | Case Submission System | Online Rulings Consultation System

Perhaps he/she can appoint as many deputies as needed, but one of them is some sort of 'acting deputy' that will take the position of Chair shall the CoA ever resign or be recalled?

(02-10-2017, 11:37 PM)Kris Kringle Wrote: What specific duties do you think need to be discharged by someone, aside from running votes?

Well, I would think moderating the Assembly would likely be the only big one because knowing this region we can get out of hand. Running votes is covered by the Charter and any legislator can do it, and legislator apps would need to be closed as soon as the Special Election for their replacement is called. So aside from the latter of those and moderation, I don't see much. I think, though, having a formal CoA in place would generally stop people from doing things that would impugn upon this body's civility.
Of course, if we don't want the DCoA to do it we could always have our Dean of the Assembly (not sure who that is right now) be in charge in the interim.  This is how most RL chambers operate when they have no Speaker.
And no Roavin, I am not just bringing this up because of you. This is something that would generally be good practice.
Has Been
What's Next?

The only question I might have is that the Legislators elect the CoA while Deputies do not need to be elected or go through any vetting. Should there be some sort of approval required from the Assembly (even a simple vote) since CoA is the position that has historically gone through the most ...turnover?

Escade

~ Positions Held in TSP ~
Delegate | Vice Delegate 
Minister of Regional Affairs, | Minister of Foreign Affairs | 
Minister of Military Affairs
~ The Sparkly One ~

My Pinterest

We've never required Assembly confirmation for Cabinet Deputies, I don't see why we would want to establish a higher requirement for a Deputy CoA.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(02-11-2017, 01:37 PM)Belschaft Wrote: We've never required Assembly confirmation for Cabinet Deputies, I don't see why we would want to establish a higher requirement for a Deputy CoA.
I think what Escade was referring to was, if the CoA leaves office "early" - by recall or resignation - that there be a simple vote to keep the DCoA as acting Chair.
I'd see a 72 hour vote immediately following a resignation, or concurrent with a recall vote.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk. So typos may be a'plenty...
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium