We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Issue XVII

[Image: qsx6lOP5e4FYLM0k8izJXWEnnQmQh9SHozyme_CD...iv3qfGdVu5]
Top Story: Reizen Cadets Head to Trial
by Arima Kyuusei
published by the Imperial Tribune, Oured, Frost Empire

Negotiations have broken down between prosecutors and defense attorneys. Hardline Prosecutors have demanded that the cadets serve a mandatory 25 year sentence without parole in facility 7734, rumored to be the closest thing to hell on Pacifica within the Frost Empire. Defense attorneys rejected the demands stating that they refuse to send kids into one of the most punishing places in the Empire without a trial. They offered a counter offer of 15 years in Ineda penitentiary with a possibility of parole after 5 years of good behavior. However, the prosecutors deemed the offer too lenient and have pushed another harsh sentence, leading the attorneys to take this to court.

Asked about the breakdown of negotiations, lead Prosecutor Ima senju Tujai said, “It is unfortunate that the defense would seek to release enemies of the state with a slap on the wrist. It is in the Empire’s best interest to crack down on the backwater violent sentiment seen in Reizen by the colonists. However, considering that the military appears unwilling to sentence one of its own, it is up to the prosecution to ensure that we fight on behalf of the victims of these traitors.”

Lead defense attorney Irai Sareta countered, “All people are given the right to a fair trial and due process under the law. It is unfortunate that Prosecutor Tujai would slander my clients before the trial and hope that the courts will not be swayed by Tujai’s ad hominems and will have an open mind.”

Justice Minarai Seigi, who has been tasked with presiding over the case, also released a statement detailing the date of the trial, May 10, 2017, granting an extension in allowing the defense and prosecution to prepare for the upcoming trial by an additional 20 days. Justice Seigi stated, “Given the unusual circumstances in which this trial was placed in my jurisdiction, I must give both Prosecution and Defense additional time to find civilian jurors who do not have a set opinion with regard to these kids who unfortunately fell in with a terrible crowd.”

The cadets also heard of the news of the breakdown and were saddened at the hardline of the prosecution team. Cadet Hikari Nokage said, “On behalf of my fellow cadets, it saddens me that some would be blinded by such fervent nationalism that they refuse to listen or negotiate with our representatives. We understand that we were willing participants of a heinous act, but we had a compelling reason to do so and I hope that members of the jury will not be as closed-minded as mister Ima Senju Tujai when we are finally able to disclose these reasons.”

Meanwhile protesters peacefully clashed near the steps of Cinigrad Court house 13 as supporters and critics shouted slogans for and against the cadets. One of the protesters was heard saying, ‘death to the traitors’, while another shouted him down with the slogan ‘Justice and Mercy’.

Op-ed: Saving Qvait From Globalism
By Nicole Chancellor, United Kingdom Leader of the Opposition
Published by The United Cascade

I learned at a young age that trust is overrated. The only person you can trust in life is yourself. You can't trust the political elite. You can't trust the wealthy elite. If there is something you want done, you have to do it yourself. You have to beat the elite. You have to beat them and put them in their place. They are the sociopaths who know no morals. When you hear them speak, they give you the illusion that they really care, but it's all just smoke and mirrors. The reality is, these politicians only care about holding positions of power either until the day they die or when the special interest groups decide that they have outlived their usefulness. When I decided to become a politician, I decided that it was time to change that and end the status quo of corruption.

My opponents vilify me and try to shut me down. They don't want people like me to be heard by the masses. They do that because they know that the people would support me and tear down the system that they built and fought so hard to preserve just to retain their power and influence over the common people. They subjugate us to their will. They essentially enslave us. This isn't a conspiracy theory, it is a fact that I know firsthand. The patriarchy and oligarchy work hand in hand and they will do everything within their power to stop people like me. Answer this question: why did my opponents, from leftists to fake conservatives, take hundreds of millions of dollars—corporate dollars—to defeat me in the 2015 election alone?

Here is the answer to the question: they are running scared. They know that the moment the people push me past the finish line, I can undo their precious globalist agenda at the stroke of a pen. It's just a glass house that is waiting to shatter. I want to burn down the SCO, the UF, and the next globalist organization that they try to create. They seek to control us and use us as a means to put more money in their pockets. Once they implement the final phase of their plan—a world government—it will have been too late. That will be the day they achieve the enslavement of the common people. A system of politicians who serve only the special interest groups whose money outnumbers that of the common people. That is what they want. That is what people like Margaret Harrison and Giovanni Giletti want.

[Image: 7766252721_marion-marechal-le-pen-le-30-...orgues.jpg]
Nicole Chancellor

However, let me tell you how we will fight back. On 2 May, a series of referendums will be at vote. Referendum 1 will replace the undemocratic tricameral Parliament in favor of a bicameral legislature, a Citizens' Assembly and a National Assembly. If passed, it will trigger a legislative election in June that will be the best opportunity for the people to take back control. Then, there are Referendums 2 and 3, which would trigger our departure from the SCO and UF, respectively, if passed. Lastly, there is Referendum 4, which would be a blanket opposition to a world forum. If Referendum 4 is passed, it would cripple Margaret Harrison's globalist agenda and save Qvait.

If we can stop Margaret Harrison, Referendum 4 is the best shot we've got to doing so. If not, we need a National Assembly and enough seats in it to stop the ratification of whatever charter comes out of Grovne. If the globalists manage to ratify that charter, that will be the point of no return for our country. They say that such a National Assembly would have 591 seats. If that's true, we only need to secure 237 of them to successfully filibuster, which I believe The New Right is fully capable of doing. We will make her life hell. We will make the globalists' lives hell. They will not enslave us.

At this time, Margaret Harrison is scheduled to leave office on 1 August 2022, but The New Right will repeatedly draft petitions calling for her recall before the expiration of her term. Every day she is in office—every minute she is in office—our country is in danger. The fake Conservatives won't stop her. The Christian Democrats won't stop her. No one on the right is willing to stand up to her. They are a bunch of globalist cowards. If God isn't going to save this country from their disastrous policies, The New Right is going to have to do it itself. That is why I'm here. I'm trying to save Qvait from the disease that is globalism and if I can't stop them, I will die trying.

Op-ed: Why I am who I am
By Margaret Harrison, Chancellor of the United Kingdom
Published by The United Cascade

Just because we join something bigger than anyone of us, it doesn't mean we lose our values. It doesn't mean we lose our language. It doesn't mean we lose who we are as people. Qvait is the greatest country that has ever existed on this planet. We wield the power of the strongest and most influential government the world has ever seen. My opponents claim that I am hungry for power. They say that I answer to the special interest groups. They say that I am more interested in subverting democracy. The rhetoric that they feed to the people is just full of lies, plain and simple.

I grew up watching the ideological battle between communism and capitalism. Instead of peaceful resolution, both sides were more interested in war. They were more interested in spilling each other's blood over ideology. My father—Jonathan Ambrose—was one of those people. His uncompromising, hard power-oriented politics are what ascended him to the presidency. There was an authoritarian streak about him that made him surprisingly appealing to Qvaiticans at the time. I loved my father, but I never agreed with his brand of politics. I never said that in public out of respect for him. I never blamed him for holding those positions because it was the environment he was exposed to that made him the man he was.

It is because of my father that I became a politician. I wanted to prove to him that social democracy is superior to conservative authoritarianism. I wanted him to see the error of his ways. I try very hard to avoid the mistakes that my father made. It was under his watch that Qvait was engaging in the deposing of democratic leaders in favor of evil tyrants. The damage that was done by regime change is still felt today and it has been my everlasting hope to undo the damage that he and several other presidents did in that era.

[Image: amyacker.jpg]
Margaret Harrison

When I was elected President of Qvait in 2015, then as Chancellor of both Qvait and Winston Island in 2016, I promised to reinvigorate the economy, protect the environment, bring about anti-corruption and campaign finance reform, curb excessive inequality, give shelter to the homeless, strengthen our education and health systems, introduce a national child care system, incorporate dental care into the National Health Service, and negotiate free and fair trade with the other countries of the world. I have kept true to a number of these promises and some are still in the works. I have been watching my approval ratings along the way. I am mindful of a dip in approval and, when that happens, I often schedule meetings with voters around the country to hear their concerns.

I believe that this country is on the right track, but I just wish that my father was still alive to see it happen. He was responsible for the senseless regime changes of the 20th century in the South Pacific, but he was also responsible for everything that is happening today. He was responsible for my existence. Our country's transition to social democracy was because of him. This country used to be run by one of the most corrupt governments of the world, but today's government is one with integrity and transparency and I am proud to have been the one to oversee it.

When I told my father about my aspirations, he told me, "I'm proud of you regardless, but I will be prouder if you accomplish everything that you say you will do." If there is a life after this, the first face that I want to see is his. I won't be arrogant and tell him, "I told you so." Instead, I just want to say "I did it" and that would be the end of it. However, before all of that happens, I actually need to get the job done. There are still people living in the streets, there are still people falling through the cracks, there is still unfair competition between countries. My work is not yet finished, so my father is going to have to wait a little more longer.

OOO
CC

The Official Out-of-Character Column

RP Heads to World’s End… And Beyond!

[Image: tumblr_nha9wrcJSn1rcb0d2o1_1280.jpg]
”If you will brave the weird and haunted shores at world's end…”

It’s been an interesting month for the world of TSP RP, both in-canon and out of it.  In the in-canon world we’ve had the recent unveiling of the Imperium of Pax Dracon, who promises to be a fascinating and prolific new addition to our roster of nations, there have been further discussion in the World Forum meeting in Grovne, Sedunn and the United Kingdom of Qvait and Winston Island has been building towards it’s somewhat epic line up of referenda.  Having lived through two divisive referenda in two years, with a general election coming up which will be treated like one, I do not envy the people of that United Kingdom at all.

In the non-canon world things have gotten even more interesting still, with developments both on and off the forums.  Ryccia has recently started his long-mooted colonial Pacifica RP in the non-canon subforum of Treasure Island, Knowhere.  Already it’s proving to be a hotbed of activity with no fewer than seven nations staking their claims on the new continent and tensions brewing between the Senran High Command of the Frost Empire and… well, almost everyone else.

On the gameside a very different kind of RP has appeared, although all is not as it seems.

[Image: latest?cb=20090413192653]
”It’s just good business!”

Taking the form of a roleplay between nations, the South Pacific Trading Company is actually a really clever service exchange, designed to encourage nations to get involved in the region and generate all kinds of activity by sharing their talents and interests (including RP!) with one another and the various ministries and institutions that might make use of them.  Already it has created some great RP content on its Regional Message Board, however, as all nations taking part have to make their requests and offers in-character.  I’m confident that it’ll be one to look out for in the coming months.