We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

Islands for delegate.

[Image: IslandsForDelegateSmall.png]

New leadership for The South Pacific
One Region. One vision.

OPENING STATEMENT
I don’t believe in “Big Man” politics, I firmly believe that the best leaders are ones who work together with others, who listen to ideas, and who aren’t afraid of change. I believe in something closer to “Librarian” politics: A leadership style where intelligence is valued over shouting ability, where it’s not about the slogan but about the idea, and where a leader is courageous enough to let good ideas work; even if they’re not their own. If I am elected delegate I will work closely with the Cabinet, Assembly, and LC to see what is best for the region, not what I think is best for myself. I fully intend to listen to everybody when making a decision, because the delegate is most of all: A South Pacifican, voted in from a group of South Pacificans and by South Pacificans. History isn’t made by individuals, it’s made by groups.  

MY GOALS AS DELEGATE:
My ultimate goals as delegate will be to make sure there is a working, well-functioning government working in a thriving region, so naturally my first and most important goal as delegate will be to ensure a region that works together. These aren't just words: All goals below are subservient and under the ultimate goal of having the region function and thrive, and i would never do anything to risk the region, even if that means i don't get “My way”. The region is more important than politics.
  1. To avoid “Big Man” politics, and work with everybody
  2. To help fully integrate new users in the government and game
  3. To work to make sure both sides of the Raider/Defender groups feel welcome in TSP
  4. To work towards becoming the largest region in game
  5. To help and work in the WA in a manner that benefits The South Pacific.

MY VIEW OF THE POSITION OF THE DELEGATE
My understanding of the role of the delegate in this region is that it is a “figurehead”; the head of state and not government, and therefore is more suited for a reserved and thoughtful leader. The best thing about the role of the delegate, is that while they dont have a lot of power enshrined in the charter, they are able to help and assist the region in their own way. If given the opportunity I will use the role to help all facets of the region to succeed, and to work with everybody willing in a way that makes sense.

WHO I AM AND WHAT I BELIEVE
I am first and foremost a believer in “Librarian” politics, but who else am i? I am a young leader, not just in the NationStates world, but in the offline world as well. I have experience in various roles of leadership in the offline world, and would like to take what i have learned from those experiences to this region. My ultimate goal in life is to be somebody who works in politics, i am a passionate person with passionate beliefs.I believe in civil debates, town halls, and being nice to your political opponents. I think that most arguments can be solved by calm conversation, and that if you yell or pull rank then you’ve already lost.I think that most of the issues in the region that divide us can be solved without toxicity.

WHY YOU SHOULD VOTE FOR ME, AND WHY “BIG MAN” LEADERSHIP IS BAD.
I have been in plenty of situations where people misuse positions of leadership, or do not fully understand how to effectively deploy leadership skills into a situation. I have seen people who cannot wait for others to mess up to use the chance to degrade, make fun of, and tear down others. I have experienced the troubles of “Big Man” leadership first hand, and know how it keeps others down and doesn’t allow a lot of room for people to prosper. Real leaders should strive to empower others around them, and should hope to work together on the things it makes sense to. I am asking you to vote for me because i will make the conscious effort to not be the “Big man” leader, and i will work towards unity in the region. People are better when they work together.
[-] The following 4 users Like islands_of_unity's post:
  • Flemingisa, New Haudenosaunee Confederacy, Seraph, Somyrion

What is your background in NS and NSGP?

What prior experience in NationStates and TSP do you have in leadership roles?

The primary role of the Delegate is - due to game mechanics - that of custodian and guardian; able to throw the region into chaos with the press of a button, and thus in place for the specific purpose of not pressing that button; how can we trust that you will not press the button?
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 4 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Escade, islands_of_unity, McMasterdonia, Tim

(07-02-2018, 03:44 PM)Belschaft Wrote: What is your background in NS and NSGP?

What prior experience in NationStates and TSP do you have in leadership roles?

The primary role of the Delegate is - due to game mechanics - that of custodian and guardian; able to throw the region into chaos with the press of a button, and thus in place for the specific purpose of not pressing that button; how can we trust that you will not press the button?

First question: I have been on NationStates on and off for a few years now, I haven't been this active really until i joined the south pacific, because i really like the people and government here. 

Second question: I haven't had too many leadership roles in NS so far, i am a legislator here and i have been involved in some campaigning stuff last COA election but other than that, not much. I am hoping to supplement my lack of in game experience with leadership skills i have from the offline world. 

Third question: This is the most important question by far. I don't think that i am the kind of leader that would decide to cause chaos, and i believe that my goal of working with everybody to make the region a better place will help us stay away from chaos. A "Big Man" leader would probably press the button, but the "librarian" leader wouldn't. I also fully believe that the Delegate is a guardian and protector as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes islands_of_unity's post:
  • Seraph

Do you have any prior Delegate experience, either in a UCR or a GCR?
[Image: Lj1SunN.png]
Formerly Banned For Still Unspecified "OOC Toxicity"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tim's post:
  • islands_of_unity

(07-02-2018, 04:07 PM)Tim Wrote: Do you have any prior Delegate experience, either in a UCR or a GCR?

I don't.

I believe that i have relevant leadership skills and relevant real life experience that would help me be the delegate, but as it stands i have no delegate experience.

What do you think makes you better and/or different from other candidates?
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?
[-] The following 1 user Likes New Haudenosaunee Confederacy's post:
  • islands_of_unity

(07-02-2018, 05:17 PM)New Haudenosaunee Confederacy Wrote: What do you think makes you better and/or different from other candidates?

Without a doubt it would be my belief in a different kind of leadership better suited for the role. My belief that "Big man" politics is harmful should be the defining part of the campaign and of my political identity. This campaign isn't for or because of me, it's for everybody in the region. I also wouldn't describe myself as better than any of the other candidates, just that i have my own unique idea about how to approach being delegate.

(07-02-2018, 05:21 PM)islands_of_unity Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 05:17 PM)New Haudenosaunee Confederacy Wrote: What do you think makes you better and/or different from other candidates?

Without a doubt it would be my belief in a different kind of leadership better suited for the role. My belief that "Big man" politics is harmful should be the defining part of the campaign and of my political identity. This campaign isn't for or because of me, it's for everybody in the region. I also wouldn't describe myself as better than any of the other candidates, just that i have my own unique idea about how to approach being delegate. 

Do you feel that the region has an issue with the kind of "Big Man" politics you refer to or even the delegacy?  If so, could you explain your reasoning?
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 1 user Likes Seraph's post:
  • islands_of_unity

(07-02-2018, 05:25 PM)Seraph Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 05:21 PM)islands_of_unity Wrote:

Do you feel that the region has an issue with the kind of "Big Man" politics you refer to or even the delegacy?  If so, could you explain your reasoning? 

I think that a lot of forms of leadership in a lot of places have an issue with "Big Man" politics, you can probably find an example in everywhere from the local gas station to congress. That said, i have unfortunately seen examples of this toxic kind of leadership in this region, i don't want to list any examples out in the open like this because that's not appropriate, but it is here. I'm not saying that you or anybody else in the region is purposefully trying to lead in a toxic way, but i will admit that it is hard, and requires conscious effort to avoid being the "Big Man" leader.
The role of delegate is one that is perfectly suited for this kind of leadership.

What are your plans to improve the participation rate of our nations in the WA?
What are your strategies of deciding how to vote on WA resolutions in the GA and SC?
Chief Supervising Armchair
[-] The following 2 users Like USoVietnam's post:
  • islands_of_unity, Somyrion