We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Delegates and Coups

So I had a bit of an odd thought yesterday which I thought was worth discussion.

Article 9.8 of the Charter prevents anyone who has committed a coup of The South Pacific or its allies from joining the Council for Regional Security:
Quote:8. Participation, in whole or in part and at any time, in any coup d’etat or invasion of the Coalition or any of its allies will disqualify a prospective or sitting member from membership in the Council on Regional Security immediately and permanently. Participation in normal raiding, defending, or liberation efforts as part of an organized military will not be considered a violation of this clause.

However, we do not apply similar restrictions to the actual Delegacy. Given that any coup of The South Pacific would almost certainly originate from the Delegacy itself,it seems strange that we would let someone who has already committed such an act against our region or its allies even the possibility of becoming the Delegate.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farengeto's post:
  • sandaoguo

Oops

Thankfully this oversight is easily fixed.

Edit: Is it simply a matter of C+P with a terminology change?

To keep the format neat, I'd propose amending Article VII, Section 1:

VII. THE DELEGATE

Establishing a head of State

1. The Delegate will be the head of state of the Coalition. They will be responsible for helping maintain the security of the region, promoting growth and activity, and serving as an advisor to the forum-side government. Barring reasonable circumstances, the Delegate will hold the in-game Delegate seat. No person may be Delegate if they have participated, in whole or in part and at any time, in any coup d'etat of the Coalition or any of its allies, excluding normal raiding, defending, or liberation efforts as part of an organized military.
[-] The following 3 users Like sandaoguo's post:
  • Bzerneleg, Roavin, Seraph

Allies at which time, though? (this question applies to the CRS wording, too)

Suppose I coup Balder, depose Rach/NES/Onder/LKE/etc., call a constitutional convention, and let that new now-trimmed-to-fit-its-britches Balder make itself a new government. That government ends up being friendly towards TSP, and a year later, a treaty happens. At the same time, I decide to run for Delegate and/or join the CRS. Would I be disqualified?

(I principally like Glen's wording, though)
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Rebeltopia

(07-07-2018, 08:39 PM)Roavin Wrote: Allies at which time, though? (this question applies to the CRS wording, too)

Suppose I coup Balder, depose Rach/NES/Onder/LKE/etc., call a constitutional convention, and let that new now-trimmed-to-fit-its-britches Balder make itself a new government. That government ends up being friendly towards TSP, and a year later, a treaty happens. At the same time, I decide to run for Delegate and/or join the CRS. Would I be disqualified?

I would assume the reasonable case of "ally at the time" would be it? If we assume present allies, that can also mean a case where someone pulls off a successful coup of an ally and makes them not an ally, which then exempts them from this clause.

(07-07-2018, 08:39 PM)Roavin Wrote: Allies at which time, though? (this question applies to the CRS wording, too)

If you do so outside of a legitimate declaration of war, I think the prohibition does and should apply. The point is that people who thought it was okay to coup in the past won’t likely have major moral or ethical issues doing it again in the future. I’m not that much of a fan of limiting it to allies in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not even if it's Balder!?!? Tounge
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Tim

Personally I’ve always considered that section to be effectively unenforceable, as the definition of a coup is NSGP is inherently political and depends on the popularity of the people involved.

If we use Lazarus as an example, there’s no question that Imki couped the region in “technical’” sense... but as we supported and continue to support her we termed it a liberation instead. We could look at Osiris and the time Tim couped it as well for a similar example.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like Belschaft's post:
  • Escade, Rebeltopia, Tim

(07-08-2018, 03:02 PM)Belschaft Wrote: Personally I’ve always considered that section to be effectively unenforceable, as the definition of a coup is NSGP is inherently political and depends on the popularity of the people involved.

If we use Lazarus as an example, there’s no question that Imki coupled the region in “technical’” sense... but as we supported and continue to support her we termed it a liberation instead. We could look at Osiris and the time Tim couped it as well for a similar example.

Would an Assembly resolution affirming the official position of TSP on each coup be warranted in this case?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:
  • Beepee

(07-08-2018, 10:57 AM)Roavin Wrote: Not even if it's Balder!?!? Tounge

If you want to depose the Balder monarchy, get an official declaration of war  Angry