We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Proposed change to the Elections Act

(Bear with me here, this is my first time proposing something)
The Elections Act states that:
3. Office of The Delegate Wrote:(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegate will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.
a. A Dispatch containing the campaigns of both candidates will be created to aid voters in their choice.
b. The candidate who wins a majority of the votes will be declared the Delegate-elect.
While the idea of delegate voting in a regional poll is great, there's one problem with this: It forces the delegate to do it. As said by our current delegate, Seraph, in this post says that he may not be able to do it as soon as possible. Therefore, I propose this amendment:
Quote:(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegate or a regional officer chosen by the sitting Delegate will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.
a. A Dispatch containing the campaigns of both candidates will be created to aid voters in their choice.
b. The candidate who wins a majority of the votes will be declared the Delegate-elect.
how am i even still a legislator at this point...?
[-] The following 3 users Like New Haudenosaunee Confederacy's post:
  • Escade, southern bellz, USoVietnam

(07-12-2018, 05:40 PM)New Haudenosaunee Confederacy Wrote: (Bear with me here, this is my first time proposing something)
The Elections Act states that:
Quote from: 3. Office of The Delegate Wrote:(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegate will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.
While the idea of delegate voting in a regional poll is great, there's one problem with this: It forces the delegate to do it. As said by our current delegate, Seraph, in this post says that he may not be able to do it as soon as possible. Therefore, I propose this amendment:
Quote:(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegate or a regional officer chosen by the sitting Delegate will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.

I actually support this, or something similar.  It would also make things less awkward in the event that the sitting delegate is also a candidate in the election.
Founder of the Church of the South Pacific [Forum Thread] [Discord], a safe place to discuss spirituality for people of all faiths and none (currently looking for those interested in prayer and/or "home" groups);
And The Silicon Pens [Discord], a writer's group for the South Pacific and beyond!

Yahweo usenneo ir varleo, ihraneo jurlaweo hraseu seu, ir jiweveo arladi.
Salma 145:8
[-] The following 6 users Like Seraph's post:
  • Belschaft, Lily Pad, New Haudenosaunee Confederacy, Somyrion, Tsunamy, USoVietnam

I've long supported this (and thought I had brought this up somewhere?). Especially when the sitting delegate is running it puts the other player at a distinct disadvantage.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 2 users Like Tsunamy's post:
  • Escade, New Haudenosaunee Confederacy

Full support, great suggestion.
The 16th Delegate of The South Pacific
[-] The following 1 user Likes southern bellz's post:
  • New Haudenosaunee Confederacy

^ Agreed. Full support.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Amerion's post:

I'd be more inclined to take the delegate out of it all together, especially since there's a large chance that they're going to be an option in that poll...

Quote:(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegate a regional officer chosen by the current Election Commissioner will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 2 users Like Rebeltopia's post:
  • Escade, New Haudenosaunee Confederacy

(07-13-2018, 10:40 AM)Rebeltopia Wrote: I'd be more inclined to take the delegate out of it all together, especially since there's a large chance that they're going to be an option in that poll...

Quote:(3) After receiving the top two candidates in the forum election, the sitting Delegatea regional officer chosen by the current Election Commissioner will create a week-long regional poll accessible to Native World Assembly members, instructing them to vote for their preferred candidate.

I was reading that in the broadest interpretation of "or a regional officer chosen by the sitting Delegate" insomuch that anyone who has poll powers implicitly was chosen by the delegate. Part of the problem (and the reason this has been given the delegate in the first place) was that the delegate has to give assess to poll powers.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tsunamy's post:

I assume the delegate doesn't change those regional officers often. And the EC should be the one to choose from the current officers - not someone who could be on the ballot.

"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus

(07-13-2018, 12:03 PM)Rebeltopia Wrote: I assume the delegate doesn't change those regional officers often. And the EC should be the one to choose from the current officers - not someone who could be on the ballot.

I'm ... a bit confused by this statement.

Personally, I think we should give the EC powers -- including mass TGs, appearance and polling power. (Even if we need to downgrade someone else's powers temporarily). I think my point was that it's previously been difficult to legislate such changes.
-tsunamy
[forum admin]

What I'm trying to say is that, it's possible that the incumbent delegate be an option in the very election that they'd be responsible for setting up the voting poll. Since we don't let a candidate also be an EC in their own election, the sitting delegate shouldn't have the legal power to either set up the poll or hand pick who does. Since we can't physically take that power away from the delegate, we need to not make it a legal option.

To put it in less words... the delegate should have nothing legally to do with setting up the poll, or picking so does. That should be the EC's job.