We've moved, ! Update your bookmarks to https://thesouthpacific.org! These forums are being archived.

Dismiss this notice
See LegComm's announcement to make sure you're still a legislator on the new forums!

[PASSED] Add CoI requirement to Elections Act

I hereby submit this as something that I find to be a more effective way of dealing with CoIs rather than making weird restrictive laws that are full of holes. I'll let Rebs decide whether this constitutes a competing law to this (I can think of good arguments in either direction).

Elections Act, Article 2 Wrote:(3) To be eligible to be included in a voting ballot, any candidate must post a campaign in an area designated by the Election Commission. The campaign must prominently include a truthful declaration of all potential conflicts of interest the candidate may have within and outside of the South Pacific.

What I said about it elsewhere:

(07-18-2018, 07:52 AM)Roavin Wrote: How about something like this: Candidates are required to post campaigns for elections they run in, and this campaign must prominently declare any potential conflicts of interest that they may have. That way, CoIs are required (rather than just "tradition") and it's right in the voter's face as they make a decision, rather than in some other thread.

Another thing to consider later is to add a requirement that any elected and appointed officials keep an up-to-date conflict of interest report. This could be done as a separate accountability act, with things taken from a prior (ill-fated) idea I had a while back. That can be done in two steps, however.
[Image: XXPV74Y.png?1]
[-] The following 2 users Like Roavin's post:
  • Seraph, USoVietnam

There’s no reason why we can’t have both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no reason why we would need or want both.
Minister of Media, Subversion and Sandwich Making
Associate Justice of the High Court and Senior Moderator

[Image: B9ytUsy.png]

(07-29-2018, 12:06 PM)Belschaft Wrote: There's no reason why we would need or want both.

For the purposes of the competing bills question, we *could* have both laws on our books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(insert CoA Logo here)

Ruling on Competing Legislation

As deputy Chair of Assembly, I deem this is NOT competing legislation.

The Office of the Chair of the Assembly
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebeltopia's post:
  • Seraph

(07-29-2018, 06:16 AM)Roavin Wrote: I hereby submit this as something that I find to be a more effective way of dealing with CoIs rather than making weird restrictive laws that are full of holes. I'll let Rebs decide whether this constitutes a competing law to this (I can think of good arguments in either direction).
Elections Act, Article 2 Wrote:(3) To be eligible to be included in a voting ballot, any candidate must post a campaign in an area designated by the Election Commission. The campaign must prominently include a truthful declaration of all potential conflicts of interest the candidate may have within and outside of the South Pacific.

What I said about it elsewhere:
(07-18-2018, 07:52 AM)Roavin Wrote: How about something like this: Candidates are required to post campaigns for elections they run in, and this campaign must prominently declare any potential conflicts of interest that they may have. That way, CoIs are required (rather than just "tradition") and it's right in the voter's face as they make a decision, rather than in some other thread.

Another thing to consider later is to add a requirement that any elected and appointed officials keep an up-to-date conflict of interest report. This could be done as a separate accountability act, with things taken from a prior (ill-fated) idea I had a while back. That can be done in two steps, however. 

This is the best suggestion (for me) out of all amendments to the Elections Act. Escade's draft in the other thread is also good. Lastly, your suggestion at the bottom is good, though I don't know where to add the bit of keeping an up-to-date CoI. Supported!
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest

It's been talked about having a subforum in the Assembly somewhere.
If we do require some form of running CoI, I'd prefer that we make it a requirement not to just link to the running CoI. The point would be to make the CoI reports front and center of a campaign, not just to hide it somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
"...if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader." - Christopher Titus
Deranged in NS since 2011

One and ONLY minion of LadyRebels 
The OUTRAGEOUS CRAZY other half of LadyElysium
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebeltopia's post:
  • Roavin

(07-30-2018, 11:07 AM)Rebeltopia Wrote: It's been talked about having a subforum in the Assembly somewhere.
If we do require some form of running CoI, I'd prefer that we make it a requirement not to just link to the running CoI. The point would be to make the CoI reports front and center of a campaign, not just to hide it somewhere else.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Agreed - if it's a running CoI, updates to it should be forcibly in a new post (not necessarily thread) so that it "triggers" people to see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roavin's post:
  • Rebeltopia

I motion the amendment in the OP to a vote.

Regarding the running CoI, let's make that a separate thread to discuss. I do agree that it's a good idea.

(08-16-2018, 05:52 AM)Roavin Wrote: I motion the amendment in the OP to a vote.

Regarding the running CoI, let's make that a separate thread to discuss. I do agree that it's a good idea.

I second the motion.
The Sakhalinsk Empire, Legislator of the South Pacific
Currently a citizen and legislator of TSP. I am active as Sverigesriket in Europe.

Complete Conflict of Interest